Main Menu

You Can Take Away My Geek Card Because…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 October, 2015, 08:41:21 PM
Matrix: Reloaded. Despite some turgid connective tissue, this is a sequence of fantastic set-pieces, evidenced by the fact that no one ever mentions the chateau staircase fight, which would have been the centrepiece of any other movie.
I can get right behind this one. I'll tell anybody who'll listen (to date: my mate Kev multiple times) both that fight scene and the freeway chase are outstanding modern action sequences. The fight with the Seraph is pretty great too. I do still think it needs to lose a big chunk of the later philosophical bunkum to be a decent film rather than a bad one with great bits but that would change its essential nature and I'll still happily watch it if it comes on telly.

My own picks, definitely mentioned elsewhere:

Highlander. Was genuinely surprised when I discovered some boarders don't hold this in the same esteem as I do. A weird combination of gleeful silliness and gritty New York backstreets. Wonderful OTT characters: Clancy Brown was never better; captures the brief period when Christophe Lambert was the coolest man on Earth; endlessly quotable, as only the finest 80s movies can be and the use of animated overlays for the magic effects is a masterstroke as it prevents it from looking dated.

Last Action Hero. Received wisdom seems to be that True Lies is the only Arnie action comedy worth a damn. Sorry, this is both really funny - "I've just killed a man. I did it on purpose!" - and a better paean to the joys of film than any of that Cinema Paradiso horseshit.

Finally, I couldn't resist one which goes against the whole point of the thread. You can take away my Geek Card away because... Horror is shit. All horror. Except The Thing (and maybe Alien.)
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 October, 2015, 09:19:47 AM
Re Terminator 2 and Aliens, I always get the impression that proper level 10 geeks cock a snoot at anyone who prefers these to the originals, though it is a popular opinion.

Oh and Predator is better than all of them.
[/quote
Think you're definitely right about the Terminators (I don't much care for the first one tbh. I can appreciate it but wouldn't choose to rewatch it.) but most people seem to be fairly accepting of different opinions on Alien(s).

Predator is better than any of them.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

QuoteLast Action Hero. Received wisdom seems to be that True Lies is the only Arnie action comedy worth a damn. Sorry, this is both really funny - "I've just killed a man. I did it on purpose!" - and a better paean to the joys of film than any of that Cinema Paradiso horseshit.

Yeah, it's a film that holds up remarkably well. It just had the misfortune of going up against Spielberg's dinosaurs st the box office.

I have never 'got' Red Dwarf. It's just like ever other turgid BBC sit-com - IN SPACE.

Eric Plumrose

Its final scene notwithstanding: SKYLINE. Reviled by most I suspect because it's by the people who made the universally reviled AVP: REQUIEM.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

NapalmKev

Not a massive fan of the Lord of the Ring films, the second one is ok and I found the books to be long-winded, boring Horseshit!

Have no interest in Game of Thrones.

Dr Who hasn't been any good since Sylvester McCoy left.

Predator 2 I consider to be the equal of the first. Very good films.

Robocop 2 isn't that bad.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richmond Clements

QuoteNot a massive fan of the Lord of the Ring films, the second one is ok and I found the books to be long-winded, boring Horseshit!

I like the movies, but the boos are terrible. Tolkien was undoubtedly blessed with an amazing imagination, but he was an atrocious storyteller.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 22 October, 2015, 11:29:20 AM
Highlander. Was genuinely surprised when I discovered some boarders don't hold this in the same esteem as I do.

I'm with you on that. Fantastic movie that I can watch pretty much any time I happen across it on TV.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Count me out of the Tolkien-bashing. The man was a brilliant writer, every page of LOTR is a joy.

I hate Game of Thrones, though.

Colin YNWA

Was trying to think of things I like that you're not 'meant' to but was struggling. All seemed a bit negative to mention stuff that you don't like that loads of people but BUT then someone had to go and mention Tolkein. I find Lord of the Rings a frankly poor book (or books) for the reasons Richmond mentions, all good imagination wise, terrible storytelling and ponderous, self indulgent writing. I really don't like the films either.

I do like The Hobbit (book not films which I've not bothered with so can't say), much like J K Rowling the shorter his books the better they are, she at least is a half decent storyteller, its just she drags out 200-300 page stories in the later Harry Potter's I've read to 700-1000 page epic with more of her poor writing, which dilutes anything good the books have in them... well to be fair up to the fifth book which was the last I read, not sure why I carried no so long with them to be honest.

JamesC

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 22 October, 2015, 11:33:49 AM
QuoteLast Action Hero. Received wisdom seems to be that True Lies is the only Arnie action comedy worth a damn. Sorry, this is both really funny - "I've just killed a man. I did it on purpose!" - and a better paean to the joys of film than any of that Cinema Paradiso horseshit.

Yeah, it's a film that holds up remarkably well. It just had the misfortune of going up against Spielberg's dinosaurs st the box office.

I have never 'got' Red Dwarf. It's just like ever other turgid BBC sit-com - IN SPACE.

Have you seen series 2?
I always thought that had the best balance between clever ideas, sci fi feel, spectacle and laughs.
'Thanks for the Memory' is my favourite episode.

The early books are good too.

JPMaybe

I'm glad this thread has moved on to geek-rated stuff you hate as well as slated stuff you love.  For my tuppenceworth, The Dark Knight is a pretentious, overstuffed turd, a bombastic, overblown, incoherent testament to Christopher Nolan's ADHD editing style and shitty neocon politics. I think Inception is a piece of shit too, but at least it's explicitly taking place in a dream world.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

The Legendary Shark

Last Action Hero is awesome. Red Dwarf was a bit of a curate's egg, for me. It was never as funny or surreal as One Foot in the Grave - and I wonder how great it would have been to make David Renwick write Red Dwarf.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ThryllSeekyr

Some of this makes sense and the rest seems contrary.

von Boom

Quote from: Zombear on 22 October, 2015, 12:26:50 AM
Babylon 5 is a big pile of shit.

You're not wrong.

I still haven't seen a single episode of Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

Professor Bear

I quite enjoyed Robocop: The Series.  It's a tv show which takes as read that capitalism is destructive to the fabric of society because it erodes community and charity, a stance presented not as satire but as the unquestioning background against which such sacred cows as product placement, conservatism and the clergy are eviscerated on a weekly basis, all undone when faced with someone who has risen from the dead, freed from the concerns of accruing wealth or stature and walks among the poor and downtrodden of society guided by a binary moral code - and why is the show dismissed?
Because "it's for kids".