Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Yeah – sorry. That entire run is in there, so Prog 700, and 723–729.

bernardsfingers

Well having received 39 & 40 last week & with issue 41 not out yet (although due out tomorrow) I guess that's most people basically brought unexpectedly up to date, even if it's only for a day or two?

The Monarch

IndigoPrime

That's in there, assuming you're talking about the final episode that ran in Prog 2000.

The Monarch

sorry i got confused since both final episodes of nemesis ended up in a prog 2000 xd

Goronwy

This is something I've been meaning to ask a learned person (as I'm relatively new to all this) – am I right in thinking there are Year Specials that are named "Prog WhateverYearItIs"?

If so, what is the convention for differentiating between e.g. Prog 2005 and Prog 2005?

A sensible solution would've been to put "AD" after the number if it's a Year Special. So Prog 2005 would be the 2005th issue, whereas Prog 2005AD would be the Year Special for the year 2005.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Goronwy on 13 March, 2019, 06:50:10 PM
This is something I've been meaning to ask a learned person (as I'm relatively new to all this) – am I right in thinking there are Year Specials that are named "Prog WhateverYearItIs"?

Yes. When it was the Millenium, we were in the late 1100s with the prog, so it wasn't an issue! Obviously the prog soon caught up with the year!
@jamesfeistdraws

Goronwy

Ah right. Weirdly short-sighted of them even so!

And do they still do these Year Specials, or were they short lived..?

'Cos I mean every year up to (so far) 2122 will already have a Prog with that number!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goronwy on 13 March, 2019, 07:37:07 PM
Ah right. Weirdly short-sighted of them even so!

And do they still do these Year Specials, or were they short lived..?

Not weird. When they did Prog 2000, literally no one in the business had had any confidence the comic would make it to the year 2000 at all. The fact that it did is down to John Tomlinson, David Bishop and Andy Diggle. For all the things people can criticise about their various tenures as Tharg, that one fact is incontrovertible and the Squaxx owe them a debt of gratitude.

The tradition of Prog [YEAR] probably continued a bit longer than it should, but now we still get a bumper December prog, just with the normal numbering.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goronwy

I see, that answers my question Jim_Campbell – nowadays they do a bumper Christmas prog with normal numbering. So the year confusion only applies to a handful of issues. Fair enough. Thanks for explaining.

Perhaps "weird" was the wrong word for me to use. What I meant was that it looks like a tacit admission by those in charge that the comic would likely never reach Prog 2000. Which, as you say, was not an unreasonable prediction at the time, but seems (especially in retrospect) a sadly pessimistic stance for the comic itself to implicitly endorse. Kind of shows you how rocky things were.

Richard

There were sixteen irregularly-numbered issues, #2000 to 2015, in 1999 to 2014.

Jim makes a very good point. I've been quite scathing about Bishop's tenure as editor in the past,* but he did save the prog by keeping it going for long enough to end up in safe hands.

* I liked his Dredd novels though, especially The Savage Amusement.

IndigoPrime

That's a very plain background. Interesting also on their site how many recent issues are OOS. I'm also a bit annoyed that I haven't yet been sent the much-loved thrill Classic Routemaster 37, despite it having been released in October: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection?page=3

(That said, those photostrips were always a bit duff.)

Tomwe

Also, Facebook page today finally confirmed they would send me the reprinted issue 1 / vol 32. No details if it was going to everyone automatically.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 March, 2019, 10:21:54 AM
That's a very plain background. Interesting also on their site how many recent issues are OOS. I'm also a bit annoyed that I haven't yet been sent the much-loved thrill Classic Routemaster 37, despite it having been released in October: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection?page=3

(That said, those photostrips were always a bit duff.)

Looks like there'll be some Brit-Cit stories in that one. As we've had Armitage and Lion's Den in the Dredd collection, does this mean we're finally getting The Straitjacket Fits?