Main Menu

My Amazing R2-D2 Build Thread

Started by hippynumber1, 07 January, 2017, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Any thoughts in the finish in this one yet? You did a lot of work 'roughing' up the Falcon are you keeping R2 Yavin ceremony fresh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 July, 2017, 09:50:27 PM
Any thoughts in the finish in this one yet? You did a lot of work 'roughing' up the Falcon are you keeping R2 Yavin ceremony fresh?
Surely he needs some carbon scoring at the very least?
We never really die.

hippynumber1

I'm so torn on this one. Yavin-fresh would look great, Colin, but, as I, Cosh says, it's Artoo, he needs some carbon scoring. I might look at doing some scuffing here and there but don't think I'll go the whole Dagobah on him.

Colin YNWA

Now about a sandy Tattoine look - one I felt always really suited the little fella?

hippynumber1

I do like the sandy Tatooine look...

Permanent fix
image by Mark Spencer, on Flickr

Extending the dome

hippynumber1

Internal leg support

Dome support

Ankle things

More dome framework

hippynumber1

Crikey! I've really neglected this thread, haven't I? Sorry folks, I'll try to catch you up as quickly as possible but I think I'm some forty-odd photos behind... Anyways, continuing with the head-dome:

DrRocka

It looks fantastic, mate, always great to scroll through a couple of pages of your threads and watch the projects come together!!
Never ever bloody anything ever

hippynumber1

Cheers DrRocka. Nice to know it's appreciated.

Microphone housing:

hippynumber1

Leg details:

image by Mark
Spencer
, on Flickr

More head-dome framework:

Mattofthespurs

I'm miles behind on mine. Think I just finished issue 10.
Mind you I've only just finished issue 40 of the millennium falcon one. Have over 10 black bags of issues waiting for me.

hippynumber1

I'm not enjoying this build anywhere near as much as the Falcon build. It's a very different thing and not quite what I was expecting - it doesn't help that there are about two dozen different types of screw and the instructions are never that clear about which to use.

hippynumber1

Leg interior framework and ankle:

image by Mark
Spencer
, on Flickr

Mattofthespurs

Unless you have streaked ahead, which is probable, we might be around the same place.
I just finished issue 24.
Cap and mag arrived. Mug in 22 pieces (I counted). I did manage to glue most of it back but it's useless for holding liquid so I'm using it as a pen holder on my desk. I have asked to have another sent out though.

I've been reading the thread on FB about this. Lots of complaints later on, issue 48 especially, when £8.99 gets you one wire which takes 10 seconds to fit.

Some on that group have bailed despite having spent the best part of £400. The above being one of the issues the other main bone of contention being that the battery you need to power the model is not included in the price.

I shall continue but that's a bit of a rum do imo.

sheridan

Shame you're not enjoying this as much as the Falcon, but great to see the tray getting used again!