Main Menu

Cliff Robinson - Top of his game?

Started by paulvonscott, 23 August, 2007, 08:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbycox

I thought Rich Elsons sketch of Judge Death was quite a departure from his normal style on Dredd, it looks a lot more old skool (as all the kids say these days). Certainly a fave of mine. Also agree about Rufus and Dredd, i know R's real busy at the moment but c'mon Tharg lets get some Rufus Dredd going eh.
Cheers,
Rob.

Tweak72

While I have never really been a fan of the Lawgiver MkII (apart from the excellent version by Rufus on the cover of #246 of the Megazine. first time some one has really nailed the MkII IMO and a shame he didnâ??t use it in the brilliant Origins interlude he did) I can see what the Termight Replicas model is based on Cliffs work. I donâ??t like it, but it is bloody well drawnhttp://www.termight.co.uk/images/lawgiverprint.jpg">
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

TordelBack

c'mon Tharg lets get some Rufus Dredd going eh.

I'd go further:  Let's see some more Dan Francisco!  But back to the Cliff love-in...

Richard

He  should do a six- or eight-part Dredd story: no chief judges or anything topical that might date it, so that he can take as long as he likes to finish it.

Richard

Actually that reminds me of Mother Earth: crap story, but brilliant art. Waste of his talent, but shows you what we are missing by not giving him another one.

Dog Deever

I really like that Dylan Teague Rogue as well- very tasty! I'll pitch in for the 'Rufus for Dredd' camp also.
Back to Cliff-

I'm with Bolt- I wasn't keen on his original stuff in the prog, as it felt like a stiff Brian Bolland, but now i tend to think of him as one of the top Dredd artists and I'd certainly like to see his Dredd in the prog more.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Artdroid Robinson

Greetings

This is my first posting on the message board (be gentle with me.) I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive feedback. It's nice to know that there's a few citizens out there who dig my stuff. I just sometimes wish I could see my work through other people's eyes as I'm often disappointed with how my drawings turn out. I find figure drawing incredibly difficult to master. Many of the characters I've drawn have looked a little 'wooden' to say the least,so I'm now trying to use a digital camera and camcorder to achieve a more 'natural' look with my figures (is that cheating? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it! )

Drokk,listen to me. All self-effacing and 'umble. I've always found it difficult to accept a compliment without denigrating my work at the same time. THIS MUST STOP! I should just enjoy the moment. So I'm going to shut up,lay back and bathe in the glory of your praise.

Thanks again,everyone.

Cheers
Cliff Robinson

johnnystress

< grovels >

we're not worthy, we're not worthy!

jabish

"So I'm going to shut up,lay back and bathe in the glory of your praise. "

And deservedly so! I really wish we could see more of your work in the weekly, particularly on Dredd. Your recent (all too few) strips have been really brilliant. Congrats.

A nice long dredd tale with john wagner would be a real treat!!

JB

Leigh S

Taking piccys isnt cheating - if its good enough for Frank Hampson and Chris Weston to name but two...

TordelBack

Oh great, now Cliff is going to see the 'Naughty Bits' thread and assume we're all deviants.  I'm ashamed for us all.  That said, i was surprised not to see one of his legendary hidden-in-plain-sight vagina dentata represented alongside his Sex Olympics panel on that very thread...

johnnystress

Mr Robinson- how do you pronounce Sláine?

dweezil2

So here's to you Mr Robinson!
I'm not being sycophantic honest, but IMHO Cliff Robinson is one of the definitive Dredd artists working today and I too will campaign for some more strip work, as lovely as the covers are.
I'll always be indebted to him for doing me a Dredd sketch on my latest Prog at the 25th birthday bash and for being such an accomodating gent!
Here's to ya!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

Welcome to the board, Mr R.

I'd love to see more Cliffage in the prog. A Dredd multi-parter would go down a treat.

Cheers,

Steve

Pete Wells

Aw it's always brilliant when one of the creators pops onto the board!

Thanks for all the wonderful work over the years Cliff!