Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Radar's mother was always played by Gary Burghoff.

Dandontdare

can anyone link to just the trailer? I am NOT watching anymore reaction/review vids  >:(

(Picard, not Radar's mum!)

Tiplodocus

Ah, I'd forgotten that.

Nothing beats DOBERMAN'S SISTER  and Musselman's law.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 July, 2019, 12:14:39 PM
Goddamn 'Inheritance'.  I somehow missed that one at the time, and never knew I had.  Some years later my then-future-wife referenced Data's Mum in conversation and I launched into one of my patented mansplain symposia noting the existence of Data's father, four brothers, daughter, quasi-adopted son, surrogate grandfather and cat, but definitely not a mother. The argument continued until we got home and the Trek Encyclopedia was taken down from the shelf (this was in the Before Times, Hawkmumbler), and I was made to read aloud an entry entitled "Soong, Juliana".

A quarter-century later any claim of authority I make in an argument is still met with "Well, we'll just see what Data's mother thinks about that".

More to the point, although I have seen 'Inheritance' several times since that fateful day, I just can't remember it the way I do the other 177.
lol! Great story.

wedgeski

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2019, 06:30:57 PM
can anyone link to just the trailer? I am NOT watching anymore reaction/review vids  >:(

(Picard, not Radar's mum!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhBBXHwEsIo

wedgeski

Data/B-4 looks as plump of face as the actual-real Brent Spiner, so it seems like a bit of CGI around the eyes and mouth to lose those wisdom lines.

blackmocco

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 July, 2019, 02:19:03 PM
The other pleasant feature is the Amazon Prime tagline rather than the CBS Closed Access one.  Fighting chance of actually seeing it at some point.

Nope, it'll be CBS All Access again, unfortunately. Amazon Prime just offers you the chance to purchase your CBSAA subscription through them instead.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Tjm86

Bugger.

First a Johnson Government, now this.  What next?

wedgeski

The shape of things to come has now become reality, it seems. I'm now a subscriber to Sky (to get HBO mainly), Netflix (for all of its excellent original content and easy access to scads of box-sets), and Prime Video (accidentally, because I'm a Amazon Prime subscriber, but it does mean I get access to Good Omens, Expanse, and soon Picard). I will probably want Disney+ when it arrives as well, god help me.

Sky will probably be dumped at the end of my current lock-in. Netflix *may* become less attractive in future, since it has now lost to Disney the vast majority of new shows that we watched, but it does excellent work in original films, so I don't know.

It's easy to look at this and say, well, I never used to have to pay this kind of money for TV, but it's important to bear in mind that there is a *wealth* of genre television now that never existed before. There's a menu of shows available now that in 1993, 20-year-old-me would not have believed possible.

CalHab

Quote from: wedgeski on 24 July, 2019, 04:05:23 PM
It's easy to look at this and say, well, I never used to have to pay this kind of money for TV, but it's important to bear in mind that there is a *wealth* of genre television now that never existed before. There's a menu of shows available now that in 1993, 20-year-old-me would not have believed possible.

Which means I now spend half the time cycling through menus, wondering if I'll find a better programme/film on the next page.

IAMTHESYSTEM

2nd extended Trailer. Looks like 'Borg and Machine Rights' are the themes of this first season.

https://youtu.be/QvKBeOKvblI
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

It's scary that I'd almost subscribe to [whatever service this is on around here] just to see a bit more of the [spoiler]Picard/Riker/Troi [/spoiler]interaction. I was particularly amused to see the clear parallels with Picard's encounter with Kirk.

How deep do we think they are going to dig into TNG - is it just very alluring window dressing?  By which I mean, do we think that the old dude who Picard is chatting with about returning to the cold of space could be his childhood friend Louis? Along the same lines, good to see that [spoiler]Hugh has been de-borgified[/spoiler].

The Legendary Shark

Time to switch off notifications for this thread, methinks...

I'll send it Into Darkness so I can experience The Undiscovered Country, as it were.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Radbacker

I'm guessing as this is Amazon Prime it isn't going to be on Netflix like Discovery was :'( I've been trying to avoid getting another service but with this and a new season of The Expanse dropping on Amazon I may have splash out on 2 services.

CU Radbacker