Main Menu

megazine 213

Started by Proudhuff, 18 November, 2003, 01:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

An I the first or have I missed the other thread?

Oh you'll love this its got every thing, sex olympics off to read it all now, the back cover has the Xmas issue add and that looks even better!!
Patt Mills Tweak Xtnct fnl plus 3 Dredds... The is a Santa Claus!

Huffsta
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Does nobody else get this?

Spoilers>>>>

Dredd: lots of Clinton jokes, sex and a kidnapping, climax a bit disappointing, isn't always? ;)

Devlin:  Hurrah Its finished, part 12? this could have been a six parter, at least he's a day walker now, the art might brighten up a bit!

Hi Harry I liked it at the time can't be ersed this time

Charleys war; fabby except the German chained to the gun, it appears this was a false Tommy idea when they found germans with MC with chains on them, the chains on the guns were for carrying them! (that from my son's Horrible history book)

Extct: Exclnt! fckths, excellent!, but a wee bit confusion on the last (cliffhanging?) panel.

Armitage; This is that Dredd story with Vienna right?

Judge Dredd: purists will hate this, me?
 I love it!

Grennie's bit, I think i saw him write this in a pub on a beermat no less, makes sense to me...

Apo Soon I like it, a wee funny and so timely

Ad for next issue: 3 dredds, tweak, Death, extnt final classic stronty, roll on Crimbo!!

huffsta

Over all a goody up there wi the best.
DDT did a job on me

Rio De Fideldo

Which Classic Strontium Dog story is it?

Will this be in the Gold pullout section like the Fiends of the Eastern Front special last year?

Proudhuff

Itsezheer:
Strontium Dogs; The Galaxy killers
by John Wagner+ Carlos Ezquerra (whoever they are!)
Alpha and Sternhammer vs the Wolrog Empire - complete and uncut!
and a massive double sided poster!

Maybe its cause I'm in so many killfiles nobodies picked up this thread, Sob Sob!

Yip it looks like that the gold thang,

Huffmiester

DDT did a job on me

test 4 echo

maybe i'm getting old, but this dredd one is...

bollox (gnarf gnarf)
limp (heehee)
hard to get through (ooerr missis)
just a bit of relief (etc etc)

fuckin dire. struggling to think of a story as pisspoor as this. utter shite, rest of the meg will have top wait til i've had a stiff (titter) drink.

Hard (they just keep comin) to believe this can from the same pen as America.

The Amstor Computer

First impressions:

So, we've had a year of Devlin Waugh just to get to this point? I'll be re-reading it all later, but at the moment, I'm really disappointed with this.

Armitage splutters to an end - and thank Christ for that. I was quite looking forward to seeing this back, but this has been terrible - a flashback to the worst of the Meg.

The Dredd story is a typical Meg filler strip. Funny in places, but it feels ungainly welded onto the kidnap story.

Judge Death is still a highlight, though I'm not sure it's getting enough space each month. Again, comedy Death keeps on threatening to resurface (Death possesses a dog - chortle, chortle!) but John Wagner and Frazer Irving manage to just keep it from getting out of hand. I'm hoping that Death's revenge on Vegas will swing the strip back into action, but this is still one of the best reads in the Meg.

I'll post a little about Xtnct, Charley's War, Harry 20 etc. when I've had a chance to re-read.

HiEx

Dredd = I loved the Dredd Sex Olympics Story. Made me laugh out loud several times when reading it. Best one-off Dredd story of the year IMO. Fantastic bit of writing by Wagner and great art (as always) by Cliff Robinson. Definitely the highlight of Meg 213.

Harry 20 = Sorry to see the end of Harry 20. Loved it the first time round and enjoyed it this time as well. Alan Davis's art is always a real treat.

Armitage = Utter shite. Worst thing in the Meg. Dave Stone ought to be shot for coming up with an ending like that.

Devlin Waugh = I love Colin McNeil's art, but it wasn't enough to save this story, which just seemed to drag on and on. Most of the episodes seemed completely interchangeable with each other. As others have said, this series probably would have been better at half the length.

Judge Death = Seems to have lost the original intent of making Death scary again and turned this back into a comedy (and a silly one at that). Boo Hiss!

XTNCT = Interesting idea, but can't really get into it that much.

Charley's War = Not really interested in war stories with a historical basis. I hated Darkies Mob. However, I'm actually quite enjoying Charley's war, as long as they don't reprint the whole bloddy series (that would drag on).

HiEx

Floyd-the-k

You`re the first that I know of.  It is indeed a Santa Claus.  Grand fun so far.
  Isn`t it about time that Bishop stopped writing histories of things?  This one is quite well written but kind of irrelevant.  What next...the girls magazines that Mills started off on?  John Wagner`s school magazine?

yrs flydly

flyd

therev

Personally I like the sex olympics...it was abit...er...graphic for 'Tooth. If the actual sex acts had bee discribed or you saw the reactions of the people watching I think the story would have been more amusing. First time I read it it had great shock-value, second time it was an ok filler.
Not sure about the kid watch though. Maybe because i've got a kid on the way...

Trout

The Meg gets better and better! (And the prog couldn't even be bother to turn up. Lazy prog!)

I particularly enjoyed silly Gordon Rennie's silly column. He's really getting the hang of it now, isn't he? Splendid.

I fact, there was nothing in this Meg that I didn't like, even Devlin and Apocalypse Soon.

The highlights for me were the sex Olympics (Wagner's being a naughty wee boy you know; trying to wind us up :-)) and the very gross Judge Death tale.

I also very much enjoyed Harry Twenty and Armitage, while Charley's War and XTNCT are still good.

I have just one minor quibble: Mr Barnes, The Exorcist is not "crap!"

- Trout

Tex Hex

Aw come on! That panel with the Deathdog sliding across the table shouting "Sinners Repent!" was one of the funniest moments ever!

Well I laughed...

hex

The Monarch

See this is what tooth should be doing right now everything gets a great stamp from me except for that bloody apoc soon and devil "on and on and on" waugh.

paulvonscott

Just read Dredd so far, I thought it was pretty good.  Cliff was the right artist for it mind.  Had that sense of silliness about it.  Slightly disturbing in parts, but, as it should be.

I quite enjoyed the last episode of Devilyn, and the start, just not sure the middle bit needed to be as long as it was.  

Comedy Lame-0 Death.  Die Death Die!  Surely there's bette things Frazer and Wagner could be doing?

Armitage.  I pretty hacked off Ridgeway was wasted on this tosh.  The Brit Cit Judges and Old Judges looked cool but, Grud from Above, this was awful.

As was Apocalypse soon.

Armitage.  

Keeping Harry 20 and Chrley's War for later.

Next issue looks great, lets hope it is.

nobodyUK

Just got my Meg.
Jesus f***ing Christ, where do I begin?
I was embarassed to buy it after seeing the cover. In fact, I'm surprised it wasn't put in a plastic bag and hidden on the top shelf at WH Smiths. I think it was a semi-funny idea, taken a bit too far. For example, they could've had a bit more subtle cover.

You could say I'm over-reacting a bit, but damn, it's embarassing for some people who buy it.

Trout

I dunno. Lots of people buy FHM, and it's got scantily-clad ladies on the cover.

Anyway, I agree with Paul on Cliff Robinson. His stuff's great.
However, I was slightly disturbed at how ugly all the ladies' nipples were. :-)

Oh well. Only Gibson could have done it better, IMO.

- Trout