Main Menu

population count of mega cities?

Started by rs_jr, 31 December, 2018, 06:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs_jr

hey guys

do we know the remaining standing cities in the world of dredd and what their current population count is?

MC1 is around 70 million ( from 800 million in the start of the series).
MC2 is gone.
Tex- cit are they biggest population now?

IndigoPrime

MC1 is way up on that now, although not close to its original numbers. It must be a very odd place to live. Although 800 million sounded like a big number in 1977, it was a very low population density for a city of that size. Even now it's been hacked back some, only a tiny fraction of the city must be populated, given that citizens are packed into city blocks. (You'd only need a couple of thousand to house the entire current population.)

sheridan

I don't have a prog to hand at the moment, but the current running total for MC1 appears in the Nerve Centre every week.

IndigoPrime

"Over 100 million" is the current count, for a city with a land area usually depicted as larger than the UK's, but with a significantly higher depicted housing density. (I recall Michael Carroll talking about this in a podcast, and noting that really the MC1 population should have been in the tens of billions when the strip started.)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Welcome back to an old friend. One of the greatest threads ever:

17 pages of insanity
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Just as a comparison, at about the time that Chaos Day was being published, moves were being made in China to create a single, unified Mega-City which would equal the population of MC1.
The Pearl River Delta Metropolitan Region, also known as the Guangdong–Hong Kong–Macau Greater Bay Area comprises the following cities and metropolitan areas

• Guangzhou
  • Shenzhen
  • Zhuhai
  • Foshan
  • Dongguan
  • Zhongshan
  • Jiangmen
  • Huizhou
  • Zhaoqing
  • Hong Kong
  • Macau
A land area of 39,380 km2 (15,200 sq mi) with a lower population of 57.15 million at the end of 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_River_Delta

rs_jr

I always felt that Dredds end would on duty trying to protect the city but the way that the city has been dwindling down since prog 2 i feel now the city is going to be wiped out before he days or dwindle down to a small population that they just leave the city to big cities and Dredd is there old with no city to protect.

Dash Decent

"This is Mega City One... and I'm the One."
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

Must ... resist ... urge to do space math ...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ZenArcade

With you there Funt.... Good times over the years doing the undoable. Lol.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead