Main Menu

Stuff I can't believe 2000AD got away with in the old days

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 February, 2013, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerufian

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2014, 12:09:34 PM

Remember finding this strip hilarous when I was younger, 2000ad was aimed at younger audiences those days so I can forgive them (with slightly boggled out eyes nowadays!)  :D

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: judgerufian on 04 June, 2014, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2014, 12:09:34 PM

Remember finding this strip hilarous when I was younger, 2000ad was aimed at younger audiences those days so I can forgive them (with slightly boggled out eyes nowadays!)  :D

Yep, that's the one!!

TordelBack

Good to see that Kev was working on the designs for LoEG Vol 1 even then.

This stuff is very shocking to look back on, although it's at least worth noting that it appeared (IIRC) in the context of the very silly and irreverent Bonjo from Beyond the Stars, and fitted well with the style of kids' comics at the time, which Bonjo was at least partly emulating.

Steve Green

Yeah, it was the run of strips like Dash Decent (also drawn by Kev) and Captain Klep, which were closer to the likes of Monster Fun and others in the IPC stable.

I'd put it in a similar category to Little Plum.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
I'd put it in a similar category to Little Plum

I'd put it in a similar category to every representation of Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, or Greek characters in any medium up until around 1990. Find me a US national in any UK TV show or film from the same period who wasn't a loud, uncouth, boastful idiot (usually wearing a ten gallon hat) and you win a special prize.

Pat Mills remarked in an interview for one of the old annuals that the easiest and laziest way to establish a distinctive speech pattern for a character was to give them a stutter, and now writers aren't allowed to make fun of that or trade in national/ethnic stereotypes, they don't generally bother putting foreign or minority characters into their stories any more than they feature characters with a stammer.

Steve Green

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: lord sauchie on 03 June, 2014, 08:08:59 PM
Tharg Of The Day was distracted by blue hedgehogs, and his deputy was bleary eyed from being up all night and smashed off his tits on ecstasy at Ministry Of Sound. Neither appeared to be paying much attention to (or care much about) what went into the comic anyway.

Wasn't that the next Tharg up?  I seem to remember the Horned God era being a particularly good time for thrill power.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Skullmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 June, 2014, 06:13:16 PM
Tharg Of The Day was distracted by blue hedgehogs, and his deputy was bleary eyed from being up all night and smashed off his tits on ecstasy at Ministry Of Sound. Neither appeared to be paying much attention to (or care much about) what went into the comic anyway.

Wasn't that the next Tharg up?  I seem to remember the Horned God era being a particularly good time for thrill power.

Yeah - Sonic was not until the mid 90s.

In the 80s it was Mac1 going on a trip of shamanistic self discovery where he was visited by a vision of Crisis (a warning of a name if  ever there was one) - as per thrill power Overload
It's a joke. I was joking.

Frank

Steve McManus went backpacking in America in 1987, and when he returned he did so as Managing Editor of Fleetway's Young Adult line. My own personal Golden Age of 2000ad is from when I started reading (around the first A4 sized prog 521) to around 700 and the end of Necropolis, Horned God, Final Solution and War Machine.

So, either Burton/MacKenzie were brilliant at editing comics and then forgot after a couple of years, or they were cruising on the momentum of stories and creator relationships established during the previous era, until the wheels fell off as they had to manage without Wagner, Grant and Mills, as they became pissed off and left for the US and Toxic.

Proteus4

Quote from: chicken drinker on 04 June, 2014, 06:50:37 PM

Steve McManus went backpacking in America in 1987, and when he returned he did so as Managing Editor of Fleetway's Young Adult line. My own personal Golden Age of 2000ad is from when I started reading (around the first A4 sized prog 521) to around 700 and the end of Necropolis, Horned God, Final Solution and War Machine.

So, either Burton/MacKenzie were brilliant at editing comics and then forgot after a couple of years, or they were cruising on the momentum of stories and creator relationships established during the previous era, until the wheels fell off as they had to manage without Wagner, Grant and Mills, as they became pissed off and left for the US and Toxic.

those were heady days! my favourite era too.
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

amines2058

Quote from: Proteus4 on 05 June, 2014, 01:15:02 AM
Quote from: chicken drinker on 04 June, 2014, 06:50:37 PM

those were heady days! my favourite era too.
Dave

Same here that was roughly the period of my initial flirtation with tooth, which waned at the time of the Summer Offensive (shudder)

pert

Some of Planet Of The Damned in Starlord was pretty graphically violent with with someone getting kicked into a fire, someone else being burnt to death by acid rain, a woman being swept into an acid river, a woman drowning on alien fruit, etc

Frank

Blatant eighties leftyism. All the disgusting, barely human evildoers Sláine fought came from Tory Island, PJ Maybe's drug which turns folk into easily led dupes (SLD 88) shared its name with what is now the Liberal Party, and I'm sure we only discovered that McGruder's forenames were Hilda Margaret once she'd turned into a paranoid and dangerous liability.