Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Layers of Fear. which was free awhile back on XBOX One. It's a horror exploration game involving searching your ever changing house for the means to complete a painting. I enjoyed it!

Gone Home which was free awhile back on PS4. Apparently it won a game of the year award which is surprising considering it is a boring piece of crap that can be finished in less than a minute. Yes. less than a minute!!! Similar mechanics to Layers but not as much exploring, puzzling or fun! On the plus side it was free so no harm done.

In between those two I've finished DMC Definitive Edition on Dante Must Die which was great fun. Left 4 Dead 2 verses, it draws me back like a junkie to a Crack-pipe. And a bit of Black Ops 2 Zombies.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm suffering from game ennui.

Gave up on Horizon: Zero Dawn. Pretty but dull; it suffered because I recently played Shadow of Mordor. Zero Dawn really needed some verticality. Actually, pretty doesn't go far enough. It's stunning to look at. But there's a lack of substance underneath the polish.

Struggling through Uncharted 2. This came free with the PS4 and I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. But, goodness, it isn't half dated in its design.

Gave up on GTA V. Was given this by my brother, played it for about 10 hours. The driving is awful. The shooting is awful. The whole game seems nothing more than busy-work to bring your character up to a modicum of controllability, combined with cliched cut scenes. As ever, the radio adverts were the best thing in in it.

Quite fancy getting Prey. Looking forward to Wolfenstein and the next Dishonored.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

For completions sake I played through all of Resident Evil 6, which was a real grind to get through at times. There were occasional sections that I quite enjoyed so it wasn't a total washout, but there's no getting around the fact that it's quite a startling low point for such a big series. I hadn't enjoyed 5, but this took it further in the wrong direction and feels a bit of a mess both in concept and execution. Doesn't help that there are 4 campaigns of about 5-6 hours each so it's really drawn out and with a lot of repeated stages and assets across the campaigns.

Not great then! Makes it even more impressive that 7 managed to pull things back from the brink so brilliantly.

Also played the new Life Is Strange episode and absolutely loved it. It's a prequel about Chloe in her rebellious time before Max showed up again, and as such doesn't have the time manipulation powers as a central gimmick, but what it does have is fantastic writing and character work that absolutely nails teenage heartbreak and confusion. It's really grabbed by the heart, if you've got an aversion to teen angst and drama then it won't be your cup of tea, but as someone who self-identifies as an angst-ridden teenager at the age of 36 (Dawson's Creek is still real to me dammit!), it's really pulled me in.

Oh damn, and I just remembered I also finally got 5 stars in every scene in the super underrated Stuntman: Ignition, which felt prrrrretty great and incredibly satisfying. It's great that playing it on XB1 now you can grab videos of the replays it edits your attempts into, a real advantage to the backwards compatibility.

Apparently I get a lot of gaming done when my wife goes away for a week!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 September, 2017, 01:43:05 PM
Also played the new Life Is Strange episode...

if you've got an aversion to teen angst and drama

I don't, but I do have an aversion to games made using scab labor.

Keef Monkey

Finished another playthrough of Metro Last Light. Still great, and still got the bad/non-canon ending! This time around it was likely because I blitzed through it a bit, I gather the good ending is triggered partially by listening to every conversation you can find. I am destined to never see it apparently (maybe I'll just YouTube it...)

I, Cosh

Still playing Breath of the Wild in bursts. It's beautiful but kind of boring, but I've still managed to play 50+ hours and only just unlocked half of the map.

Also been playing a lot of Sunless Sea on the iPad. Entertainingly aimless exploration game set in a Cthulhuish underworld.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 September, 2017, 06:52:39 PM
Still playing Breath of the Wild in bursts. It's beautiful but kind of boring, but I've still managed to play 50+ hours and only just unlocked half of the map.

Still not finished it - but nearly there. I am a rank amateur though.  I'm not sure boring is quiet the right word.  I've found some aspects of the game more samey than others - but I find those relaxing. If I've had a hard day at work and don't want anything too taxing I can go searching for fruit and veg and cook myself up some hearty meals or go Guardian weapon farming.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 September, 2017, 07:00:03 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 September, 2017, 06:52:39 PM
Still not finished it - but nearly there. I am a rank amateur though.  I'm not sure boring is quite the right word.  I've found some aspects of the game more samey than others - but I find those relaxing. If I've had a hard day at work and don't want anything too taxing I can go searching for fruit and veg and cook myself up some hearty meals or go Guardian weapon farming.
Yeah, "boring" is probably unfair. I think I just find the lack of any real narrative driving me forward a bit unsettling. I'm nowhere near finishing it either as I've only done two Divine Beasts in all that time.

Find the gathering and cooking really frustrating though. To the point that I usually just batter down half a dozen raw apples when I need to.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Fallout 4: Nuka World - This was the last DLC I had to get through to more or less wrap up Fallout 4. It's a great setting but became a bit of a grind, especially the combat (I ended up switching down to Normal when I'd played the rest of the game on Hard) and one area in particular was a buggy mess (the Safari region, enemies and buddy peds were warping all over the place, akin to playing an online game with incredible lag, and that quest-line ended up sort of breaking because it thought I'd done something I hadn't decided to do yet but then had to do it just to fix the scripting even though it was a choice I never would have made).

Did most of the quests to get the raiders on my side, then realized the meat of the content was going to be taking my raider gangs out into the Commonwealth to start pillaging settlements. I really didn't think my character would be okay with that, so decided to load up with as many drugs and bullets as I could and killed...every...single...raider...in...Nuka...World. It was a massacre, but felt right given the threat they posed to all my nice settlements. Needed done, but it was a harrowing experience.

Keef Monkey

Played through the DLC's from the first Dishonored game, Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches. Really got me back into it so reckon I'll roll straight into Dishonored 2 which I've heard great things about. I do find myself swearing at it more than most games but that's more down to me just botching the stealth and reloading than anything else, when I try and just roll with the punches by stealthing as much as possible but still fighting my way out of situations if they arise, I enjoy it a whole load more. Didn't feel like the combat held up initially so was really averse to it, but once you start really using your powers and gizmos you can really clear a room if need be!

It got me in the mood to re-read Gordon Rennie's Dishonored graphic novel too and really enjoyed revisiting that.

Smith

Tiplodocus

Splatoon  2 is great. I'm rubbish at it and Tiny Tips is hogging the online but it just looks so much more fun and inclusive than what I've played of other online stuff (not much right enough, a bit of Halo, one of the CODs and some Star Wars Battlefront)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Lots of mini Snes over the weekend...

Mariokart - Just need to win the special cup on 150cc and I'm done

Super Punchout - Thanks to the save anytime function I'm now further than I ever achieved previously. Still rock solid though and cant see myself completing it.

Super Marioworld - I'm at level 32 and determined to 100% this. Was really close back in the day then my dad accidentally wiped my save and I sold it the next day.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm loving X-Com 2. Not interested in the new DLC tho'; I am a save-scummer and don't care what you think, and it seems to be designed to stop that behaviour. I don't have time to take a straight path. I take short cuts into self-loathing.
Lock up your spoons!

Apestrife

Starcraft remastered. Almost 20 years since I last played the original. Still brilliant. Not far in, but really like the story thus far. Remember doing that as well when I was 10-11.