Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Just got my books today, I think Smith pleads his case for the Missionary Man stories in this volume well enough. Insurrection is new to me & I've been excited to read this since the beginning of the collection

IndigoPrime

I like Insurrection, although park it very much alongside Durham Red in 'alternate universe' territory. (Alternatively, MC-1 could presumably conceivably recall a tiny fraction of its space fleets and hold the entire world to ransom.)

James Stacey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 July, 2017, 01:35:44 PM
I like Insurrection, although park it very much alongside Durham Red in 'alternate universe' territory. (Alternatively, MC-1 could presumably conceivably recall a tiny fraction of its space fleets and hold the entire world to ransom.)
'Lawless' too by extension ?

IndigoPrime

Lawless sits more neatly into my personal view of the Dredd universe – some far-flung backwater that's more like a little settlement than Insurrection's gargantuan fleets. Although whether stories are entertaining beats continuity. I'm happy to see Insurrection in this collection more than, say, Inferno, Heavy Mob or that Klegg book.

EDazzling

Quote from: James Stacey on 18 July, 2017, 01:42:06 PM

Oh, is Lawless an Insurrection spin-off? Got both this week so that solves the question of which to read first.

Tjm86

Bit of a glut today.  Both turned up along with the prog and meg.  Reckon there has been a problem with staffing again at our local sorting office.  Another bonus, the latest print.  Carlos' turn; Dredd against Zombie Sovs.  Thinking about it, that would be something wouldn't it, a cross between Judgement Day and Apocalypse War?

IndigoPrime

I wonder what print subscribers will get during the extra ten issues. After all, they're paying an extra quid an issue, right?

Tjm86

Aye, that thought crossed my mind.  Or will they stick with the original 6 and revert the price?

I wonder if the last one will actually be a Bolland one or they will substitute.

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 July, 2017, 07:42:28 PM
I wonder what print subscribers will get during the extra ten issues. After all, they're paying an extra quid an issue, right?

The FB page have confirmed premium subbers will revert to regular price and there will not be further prints.

dweezil2

Quote from: Tomwe on 19 July, 2017, 02:43:33 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 July, 2017, 07:42:28 PM

The FB page have confirmed premium subbers will revert to regular price and there will not be further prints.

That's good to know!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Magnetica

Quote from: EDazzling on 18 July, 2017, 03:33:04 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 18 July, 2017, 01:42:06 PM

Oh, is Lawless an Insurrection spin-off? Got both this week so that solves the question of which to read first.

Yes it is, but it was never positioned as such and knowing that [spoiler]equates to a bit of a spoiler[/spoiler]

abelardsnazz

The cover for the Judge Child volume is up on the Facebook page - it's the Bolland "Find the Judge Child or your city dies" image minus the text. Iconic stuff.

The line-up of creators for Mad City is quite extensive which suggests to me a series of one or two-parters which would suit the theme. Hopefully a few Ron Smith gems included.

TordelBack

Any hint about colour spreads for Judge Child? If so I'll be quintuple-dipping for this one. Titan's Judge Child Vol 2 was my very first Dredd collection, indeed the first time I even knew each things existed, and it remains one of my all-time fave: to have it with the colour centerspreads... glargle.

robert_ellis

I'd found the previous 2 Missionary Man volumes hard work having never read the original Frank Quitely stuff. I really like Promised Land but the reading order of the 3 volumes is completely weird. I know previous posters have listed the correct reading order. I assumed there was an effort to compile stories by artist (like the Arthur Ranson stuff in Anderson) but looking at the 3 books I can't work out any rationale for the running order. Is it a page count thing?

Tomwe

it has to be, with the Quitely stuff having to go first, uninterrupted (sorry Garry Marshall!), that's 66pages. Maybe fitting The Promised Land's 90pages with any of the others was a trouble, except so much of Missionary Man is short stores.