Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inevitable "crap music" thread  (Read 8177 times)

Dandontdare

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Inevitable "crap music" thread
« Reply #105 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:05:10 pm »
Dragging up the past here, but the worst song ever recorded is the Counting Crows cover of Joni "oh you've met her?  Is she really as awful as they say?" Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi,

No way man, If you start with a great song there's a limit to the amount of damage you can do. The WORST are the songs that are blighted from conception.  I absolutely agree with your entire analysis - it's a horrible and pointless cover (No Vanessa, you DON'T deserve a title credit for walking wistfully down the street singing "ooooh bop bop") and I am more offended than most as I worship at the altar of the Blessed Joni (well until that last one that they only sold via Starbucks - I even liked Turbulent Indigo), but it's .. well ... how can I put it?
I'm sorry, but you're not even trying if that even registers on your list of worst songs, never mind topping it.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #106 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:42:12 pm »
Covers are the worst because the default trajectory is down, but no matter how a bad a song you write, you've still created something.

No way man, If you start with a great song there's a limit to the amount of damage you can do.

I used to think that, and then Madonna did a cover of American Pie.

Dandontdare

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:17:24 pm »
again, horrible and pointless, but if, for the rest of your life, were you were forced to only ever listen to that or this or even this - which would you prefer?
« Last Edit: 01 September, 2017, 09:20:36 pm by Dandontdare »

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
Covers are the worst because the default trajectory is down, but no matter how a bad a song you write, you've still created something.

Tell that to Johnny Cash... well okay he's dead alas but still that man could find ways to make good songs great and great songs exceptional.

Fungus

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 01 September, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
again, horrible and pointless, but if, for the rest of your life, were you were forced to only ever listen to that or this or even this - which would you prefer?

Evil to our ears but the best thing ever for a 5-year old... Also see: Gangnam (?) Style.

Big Yellow Taxi. A fine original... ruined completely by her giggling at the end. Many cover versions, but all avoid that! Wisely!

Dandontdare

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:09:30 pm »
aw, I like that giggle - it was 1970, so it would have been genuine rather than a cynical gimmick.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #111 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:16:39 pm »

Tell that to Johnny Cash...

We all know Boyzone did the definitive version of Father And Son so there will always be exceptions, but by and large the majority of covers don't live up to the original.

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #112 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:24:21 pm »
aw, I like that giggle - it was 1970, so it would have been genuine rather than a cynical gimmick.
That's no proof againt gimmickry - Alma Cogan laughed during one song, and then became "Girl with the Giggle in Her Voice" forever after...

Zarjazzer

• So the devil wants me meaner...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 02 September, 2017, 10:14:29 am »
A good cover takes the song and makes it their own. Like the Clash did with I fought the law or Blondie with Denis(e).

Can't say i'm thrilled at Katy Perry's or the Swifty's latest tunes. I used to like their songs like TGIF and We are never ever getting back together.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 03 September, 2017, 11:08:23 am »
If it's crap covers you're after you will have to go a long way to beat Another Brick in the Wall by angst ridden Forever-Teens, Korn(y).

Yeah, it can be interesting when Metal and Punk bands cover songs that are not from their respective Genre's, as is evidenced by the utterly awful Sounds of Silence by Disturbed.

And finally, a shit cover of a shit original Everything I do, I do for you

No, don't thank me.

Cheers

Fungus

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 03 September, 2017, 12:20:43 pm »
Oh. That Sound of Silence cover is gruesome  :o

But I saw a fantastic tribute act cover the S & G classics at that Edinburgh Festival last week, and I've been spoiled.

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
« Reply #116 on: 03 September, 2017, 03:40:48 pm »
Oh. That Sound of Silence cover is gruesome  :o

Better than their dire Phil Collins cover...!

Skullmo

• View Profile
    • Comic Art
« Reply #117 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:13:30 pm »
I quite enjoyed that!
It's a joke. I was joking.