Main Menu

2000AD Cover of the year Vote 2017

Started by Pete Wells, 08 December, 2017, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRocka

All Dredd covers for me this year...

1st place - 3 points - Prog 2019 Greg Staples. Truly iconic.
2nd place - 2 pts - prog 2045 - Cliff Robinson. Actually made me hurry home to read it, which I've not felt in ages.
3rd place - 1 pt - prog 2058 - Cliff Robinson. Dredd vs Sov. What's not to like?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Richard

Quotedoesn't seem right to vote for a prog I haven't actually received yet.
We're voting g for covers, not progs, so if you've seen it you can vote for it.

Richard

My votes:

1. 2045 - Apocalypse Then! A colourful cover by the talented Cliff Robinson, it's eye-catching because it has a nuclear explosion, and it has all nine members of the Apocalypse Squad (including the one who wasn't in that story). A nice homage to a popular classic.

2. 2024 - Meet Harvey! A strong image of Dredd. Partly I chose this one because I still remember the excitement and anticipation of a new Mechanismo story, but also the way Jim Baikie has drawn it is striking.

3. 2044 - The Magic is Back. I just like the composition of this one: the main image is in fact the cover of an old 1940s pulp magazine, surrounded by other noir detective stuff (whiskey, gun, rotary phone etc).

It was hard to narrow it down to three though. I also liked 2029 (Fear Me), 2019 (Dredd by Greg Staples - would have voted for it but didn't want three Dredd covers), 2013 (another Hope cover, the one with the nun in a gas mask), and Ezquerra's cover for the 40th anniversary special. It's been a good year.

The Monarch

my three in reverse order

3 40th anniversary cover by carlos Ezquerra

2 2036 by chris weston

1 2057 by Boo Cook

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 09 December, 2017, 02:40:06 PM
Quotedoesn't seem right to vote for a prog I haven't actually received yet.
We're voting g for covers, not progs, so if you've seen it you can vote for it.

Call me old school but I need to have physically seen the cover to full assess it, that's all. Digital versions don't count.

Anyway, I have got it now.

CalHab

3pts 2032- D'Israeli

2pts 2024- John McCrea

1pt 2036- Chris Weston

Honourable mentions- 2050 by Simon Davis, 2023 by Cliff Robinson and 2027 by Matt Ferguson

james newell

1 -  2017 Jake Lynch

2 - 2029 DAVE KENDALL

3 - 2058 CLIFF ROBINSON

Pete Wells

So, my tuppence worth:

First place: Greg Staples (2019) As others have said, simply an iconic image from a truly amazing painter. A masterpiece.
Second place: Alex Ronald (2016) Lovely and bright, channeling his inner MacNeil (even though he was meant to be channeling his inner Robin Smith!)
Third place: Clint Langley (2013) It's a nun in a gas mask. Any questions?

Honourable mentions: Jake Lynch (two Great Dredd covers,) JOHN McCrea and Matt Fergusson for their excellent Mechanismo covers, Dave Kendall (Fear), Cliff (everything!) D'Israeli for the ships coming through the smoke on 2032, Chris Weston (Pin), INJ Culbard (Eye in the Sky), Neil Roberts (2 stunners this year!) Karl Richardson (Demonslayer,) Trevallion (incredible consistency,) Luke Preece (2048 Dredd, loved it!) and Simon Davis (all the buggers!)

TordelBack

This never gets any easier, does it?  While I was very tempted to go for the Crimbo prog because of all the boxes it ticks, a quick browse left me with a ludicrously long short list, and it just missed out.  I loved loads of other covers this year, including all the Robinsons, the D'Israelis, the TTs, the SBDs, the Staples and the Lynches, but I picked three that really made me want to turn to that particular story first. 

In no particular order:

No. 3 (1 pt): Prog 2029 - Fear Me!  Dave Kendall.

That is one seriously drokked-up image, and achieves two near-impossible things at once: tops Bolland's version, and makes Fear genuinely scary.

No. 2 (2 pts): Prog 2024 - Meet Harvey.  John McCrea.

There's something so exciting about this superficially simple cover: it creates a real sense of anticipation, of a story just beginning that I want to read.  Everything from Dredd's agitated pose to the size of the unseen Mechanismo hinted at in shadow, and linked to his name by the use of the same colour in tag line.  Plus it's a smart visual homage that actually adds extra depth to the story.

No. 1 (3 pts): Prog 2014 - Daze of Future Past.  Neil Roberts.

Again, this cover just grabs me by the eyeballs and makes me want to know what's going on.  Ritterstahl has such solidity here, sitting on his rock and contemplating his own bizarre existence. Roberts manages to convey so much of this artificial man's growing humanity, both in the call-back to Hamlet reflecting on transient mortality, and somehow in the glowing light behind the eyeslits. Brilliant.

Rogue Judge

Top three & HM:

1) Prog 2019 - GREG STAPLES. An iconic looking image of Dredd, and I love the painted artwork.

2) Prog 2045 - CLIFF ROBINSON. Great image of Dredd & co. from possibly my favorite story of the year.

3) Prog 2024 - JOHN MCCREA. I really enjoyed the Harvey story and this image perfectly captures Dredd's feeling towards the Mechanismo Program, regardless of how friendly Harvey turned out to be.

HM) Prog 2023 - CLIFF ROBINSON. Smart display of the 2000AD title.

SpongeJosh

1.2019 - Greg Staples
2.2015 - Leigh Gallagher
3.2023 - Cliff Robinson

HM: 2020, 2029, 2032, 2036, 2043, 2051, 2058

Albion

1. Prog 2018 Ryan Brown.          Because I like it most of all.

2. Prog 2054 Tiernan Trevallion.  Because I like it a little less than the one I chose for first place.

3. Prog 2026 Cliff Robinson.        Because I liked it slightly less than the other two.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Bolt-01

- Jake Lynch

- Cliff Robinson

- Alex Ronald.

Odd that all three are Dredd covers- The closest 'non' Dredd for me was 2013 by Clint Langley.

DrJomster

Some excellent covers this year! I'm going for...

1st position: 2031, All the president's men
2nd: 2059, Fiends in high places
3rd: 2029, Fear me

Ps. I love this year end poll. Thanks Pete!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Pete Wells

I'm going to BUMP this thread now and again...