Main Menu

Prog 1689 - A Dog's Life

Started by Leigh S, 12 June, 2010, 10:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Wagner is genius : discuss!

Didn't think Stront would tackle the Final Solution so heads on - certainly hant considered we'd see an Ezquerra version of certain characters and events!

But while thats happening, Dredd is blowing me away too.  I suppsoe I'll read the rest of the prog some day.... but hell, they both need rereading again!

radiator

Double Ezquerra! Next week too by the look of it!

As interesting as Stront is, Dredd just blew it out of the water!

"Set it up".

Wow! Now that is a cliffhanger!

Damnation Station just gets better and better, too.

Also this week: [spoiler]Logan makes senior judge[/spoiler], and a Mr Dave Evans gets a 'thank you' credit in Strontium Dog!

Leigh S

Yeah, Stront threw me for six with its ballsy head on approach to the matter at hand, but its only part 1, so theres a lot more to see there -  Over in Dredd, after all the twists we've seen during this last year, theres little that can beat this latest development and that final panel!  OK, we've been here before, or thereabouts, but IIRC not with Dredd really meaning it!

Leigh S

OK, Pat isn't being too shabby in Savage - BIG JOBS!  Love all teh sci-finess now appearing - You can knock Pat for a number of his foibles over the years, but he's the only writer, for good or ill over the years, who can write like Pat - The "teleportation race" and the way the Volgs hit back here are jsut 100% Pat.

Colin YNWA

Bloody hell just when we thought the start of the World Cup would be the most exciting thing to happen this week the prog lands to put that in its proper place.

What a bloody brillant Prog. Not just are the TWO, count 'um TWO Wagner n Ezquerra stories just brillant the rest is also on blinding form. We get a hint at were 'Tour of Duty' might be going and very balls to the wall up front look at how 'Life and Death' will be handling things and both are bloody brillant truely a master, well two masters, at work.

While these two might otherwise swamp the other stories with their magnificence the rest does a great job of holding its head high in such company. Red Seas is a damned fine episode and Savage is just brillant, so thats why the mark ones went wrong. Pat Mills is filling in details from stories he wrote 30 odd years ago the nerd in me sings with joy. Both of these black and white strips look chuffing glorious too.

Finally however is Damnation Station and maybe this is the episode I've been waiting for, the one that knits things together and makes all of whats gone before fall into place. This episode made me want to go back and read the rest. On top of that Ben Willsher's art is actually the perfect art for this series.

England vs USA bah gimme the Galaxies Greatest any day.

Better than great prog.

Leigh S

I dont imagine this was intentional, but the stront geek in me did smile at teh thought that this does explain why Feral is [spoiler]sporting Johnny Alphas stront badge in "monsters", when we'd seen it left behind in "Final Solution"[/spoiler]

flip-r mk2

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH now have to wait another seven days for next weeks prog.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

nev

The cover alone gave me a nerdgasm.

JAMESCOR

Best prog in awhile Dredd is the real standout, I like the allusions to all the dodgy Mp'sin the last couple of years with the council of five blinded by their own hubris. Maybe Dredd will pull it off this time given his age a lengthy stretch as chief would make sense what with Beeny and Rico out on the streets. Red Seas pips SD for me this week just because I have an unhealthy artcrush on Yeowell. Looking forward to the weeks to come.

Stuzzle

Effin' SWEET to see Ben Willsher back on the covers again
Overall a much improved prog over last weeks, just brilliant.

Fun developments for things in Dredd and I am now starting to see why people enjoy Carlos' art so much.

I liked the look of Damnation Station alot more this week with Willsher also drawing this, it just attracted my attentions so much more

And my first ever dip into a Strontium story  :D. It was exciting
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

Adamskilad

Haven't got my copy yet (cancelled my subscription and went back to picking it up at my local newsagents after too many missing, ripped, wet, soggy, torn, battered, bruised and bleeding progs) but delighted to hear the new Strontium Dog story ties in so closely with The Final Solution. Hoping that was the case I pulled all those dusty back issues out recently and while not proper authentic Stront, if'n ye ken whit ah mean, jimmae, I was surprised by how well it stood up. Loving all these links back to older stories, especially the way Pat is refining some of his stuff from the 70s and 80s via the likes of Savage, and the way PJ Maybe's grown up in real time (just a year or two older than me - ah, we were both mischievous lads back in the day, how our paths have wandered apart!) Wouldn't mind seeing Greysuit back, actually - anyone know if there's anything in the pipeline/thrillbucket?

Richmond Clements

Possibly the best single Dredd episode I have ever read.

Rog69

Fantastic prog, brilliant cover and double Wagner and Ezquerra is a real treat, the endings of both of them made me gasp  :o

One thing I don't understand - [spoiler]If Feral brought Alpha's body back with him, who did Gronk shoot? or wasn't that alpha's original body, my memory of that strip is a bit hazy.[/spoiler]

Darren Stephens

Great prog. I must say, Ben Willsher is turning into a great talent. The art on Damnation Station is, in my view, better than both the two previous artists have turned in and thats saying something. His page layouts are excellent.  :)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

jabish

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 June, 2010, 12:38:42 PM
Possibly the best single Dredd episode I have ever read.

You beat me to that. 6 pages of pure perfect comics.

Worth the entire subscription amount :-)

Wagner & Ezquerra. Two masters!