Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Also - it has undoubtedly the coolest visual portrayal of magic (as in wizardy stuff) I've ever seen in a film. Wonder who came up with all that hand jive stuff - could watch that stuff all day.

Hawkmumbler

Yet to see TKWWBK but I did love Bumblebee almost without reservation.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 September, 2019, 09:20:37 PM
WTF is TKWBK?

£3.49 on Amazon, £5.49 on Youtube.

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 September, 2019, 01:20:10 AM
TKWBK (is) deserving of a slot on the shelf between The Railway Children and Labyrinth.

What kind of indexing system are you using?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

(And thanks for the link.)

My acronyming IWIUTB.

What happened to LOL? I miss LOL. You knew where you were with LOL. :-(

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I watched Pearl Harbor many years after it got a savaging and I thought it was fucking hilarious, and don't understand why it's not elevated alongside Michael Bay's other so-ludicrous-they're-great efforts like The Rock or Con Air, and I think the same thing happened when I watched IT (2017), as I found this film indistinguishable from parody and couldn't take it seriously.  Great cast and it's unquestionably well-made, but Pennywise is shite, none of it is scary, and there's nothing I haven't seen before.
I did actually try reading the book many years ago and thought it would have made a great kids' adventure movie - apart from one scene near the end of part one where the kids try to rebuild their bond which sounds like it would be right at home in a children's movie but trust me it would not - and I think that's what they went for here, as I think younger viewers would get the most out of this, as it's all very meme-friendly and full of camp.
A rubbish horror, a passable comedy, or a decent adventure romp - take your pick, really.

Tiplodocus

BEOWULF
Take the oldest tale in the English language, do an absolutely cracking job of adapting and updating it, apply (then) cutting edge motion capture and computer animation techniques, make Grendel both shitscary and sympathetic.

And then make people think they are seeing the (then) hottest woman on the planet,and a heroically idealised version of the (then) coolest man on the planet, naked.

And throw in Brendan Gleeson and Anthony Hopkins for good measure.

My goodness this gets so much absolutely right that I can forgive the obvious sops to the gimmicky 3d, the uncanny valley, the slight slow motion feel of character movements and the really odd horse motion capture.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

In Beawulfs defence, it was the mid (early?) 2000's and as far as I can recall, the first mo-cap movie produced on this scale. The slightly rough, awkward animation isn't any more distracting to me than the now pretty poor animation on the first half a dozen Pixar films.

TordelBack

Gaiman on the screenplay, innit? He's a posey twat, and commits many crimes against historical context, but does that boy ever know how to make old stories vital.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 September, 2019, 07:26:28 PM
Gaiman on the screenplay, innit?

Seamus Heaney had a better pitch, but he doesn't look as good in shades.

TordelBack

Not many measure up to Heaney* on any score, and certainly not to his Beowuif, despite all the controversy. It had that 'On First Looking into Chapman's Homer' vibe for me, along with Kinsella's Tain and Fagles' Illiad.

(*Disclosure/Brag: distant cousin).

Frank

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 16 September, 2019, 07:55:04 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 16 September, 2019, 07:48:41 PM
Beowuif

From the makers of Dogtanian.

Hwart! Ana for eall ond eall for ana
We Great Danes are ealway ready

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 September, 2019, 09:04:42 PM
Hwart! Ana for eall ond eall for ana