Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed that, especially the actual end.

But they really have to rethink the number and placement of the emotional farewells. It's getting so nobody can leave the bridge, in the middle of an emergency, without stopping to say how much another character means to them.

The space battle was fun, if a little confusing at times and absolutely contrary to every other depiction of combat in Star Trek thus far.

So Season 3 will be [spoiler]a bruised and battered Discovery trying to survive in the Beta quadrant 900 years hence?[/spoiler] Haven't we kind of been there before?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

moly

Really enjoyed the last episode but hope they do an enterprise series with captain pike who has become probably my favourite trek captain

broodblik

The second season overall was not bad their where some rough patches but in general it was good. The first season was still better but now we wait and see what season three will have up its sleeves.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robin Low

So, does anyone else think [spoiler]they really should build ship hulls out of the same stuff they built that fucking blast door out of? I mean, sure, the clue's in the name blast door, but it was at the epicentre of an explosion that took out half the saucer section, for fuck sake. All the time wasted pissing about with shields when you could just build tougher ships.[/spoiler] Or did I just miss something while I was watching explosions and telling all the characters to stop yakking and get on with what they were meant to be doing?

Regards,

Robin

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: broodblik on 20 April, 2019, 09:33:52 AM
The second season overall was not bad their where some rough patches but in general it was good. The first season was still better but now we wait and see what season three will have up its sleeves.

I agree.

Though I'm fearful about season 3. It basically sounds like [spoiler]Voyager - *yawn*[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Thank Grud that's over. A triumph of spectacle over substance and a masterclass on the art of dithering in the face of emergency.

I Loved Captain Pike and Number One and the Enterprise. I hope against hope that the Discovery and her crew of cardboard cut-outs can be forgotten now and we can instead have a series following Pike and co.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Well, the season started well enough, reached the halfway point and flew it into the mountain. Appalling, dreadful, lazy writing. Feel bad for the cast and fx crews, who've done their best work but are ultimately left polishing a stinking turd.

And yeah, Sharky, I'd hope we never revisit the Discovery or her crew again and focus on Pike and the Enterprise instead.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

wedgeski

Screw all that noise, I loved almost every second of that, blast doors notwithstanding. I can't be bothered with a longer, spoiler-redacted post, but I will agree with the detractors above that Pike's Enterprise, as realised in Discovery, would make a brilliant show all of its own.

JamesC

I really enjoyed about 30% of season two - mainly the Pike/Enterprise stuff.
The last episode was 90% arse though. The busy mess of the space battle, the UXB (I could go on and on about that blast door!), the emo-nonsense.
Ultimately the series just didn't feel focussed enough. What was the point of resurecting the doctor? Why introduce Spock and then do nothing with him (unfortunately Spock was badly written and mis-cast)? What was the point of Saru's underwhelming life cycle thing? Too many ideas chucked at the wall and not enough stuck.

Did anyone read DC's Kamandi Challenge? The idea was that a twelve issue story would be produced by twelve different creative teams, each team ending their section with a 'get out of that' cliffhanger. It's an interesting way of generating some cool ideas and letting lots of creators do their own thing with a set of characters. It's not the best way to produce a coherent story though. Anyway, it felt a lot like this series of Discovery to me.

gurnard

I liked both seasons. Thoroughly entertaining television with a tinge of nostalgia to my youth, nice one, worth the sub.  Thanks for the heads up on the shorts will check these out.

Theblazeuk

I thought the last episode was a mess, [spoiler]Leland was the Alien Queen rather than just a node? I think they should have stuck with a disembodied AI.[/spoiler] But it was alright, and I think overall the story was fine. I'm hoping to see more Discovery as soon as possible, even if they have [spoiler]redacted Discovery from the history books[/spoiler] (I guess it was a secret weapon during the war!) I pretty much agree with JamesC. Of course the crusties like seeing the weaponised nostalgia of the Enterprise though :)

Greg M.

This has finally come on E4, so that cheap throwbacks like me, who don't normally do streaming telly, can watch it. A few observations that were probably made by everyone else two years ago:

Too much dialogue. I don't mean that it's talky, per se, in the way that TNG is – more that the characters speak too fast, and try to cram every second with banter, which is only acceptable if you're in a Howard Hawks movie (and you have really good banter.)

Lens flare. Ugh.

I wasn't sure I'd like Burnham – she seems awfully pleased with herself – but Martin-Green grew on me throughout the course of the episode: she does a good job of combining human emotionality with an almost T'Pol-like Vulcan smugness.

Interesting aesthetic – the Klingon architecture feels like Lexx with money.

Saru's easily the best thing in this so far – he 'feels' like traditional Star Trek.

I want to see more of the person who looks like they're in Daft Punk.

Overall - more engaging than I thought it'd be.

Magnetica

I was slightly surprised this is on "normal" telly as I thought it was a Netflix production and so had assumed it was only going to be on Netflix.

Professor Bear

Finally made it to the end of this and what a load of old cobblers it was.  Reminded me most of Star Trek Into Darkness, and not just because a half hour from the end of it I just wanted it to end already, I mean it lifted scenes mostly from that movie, as well as loads of scenes from other Treks down through the years - most obviously the torpedo in the mess hall episode of DS9.
Is this the best we can hope for?  The same few plots endlessly recycled with modern production standards?  Yet another threat from the fucking future?  Jesus wept.  And don't even get me started on all the superhero shit at the end.  Utter horseshit.

I will say I was wrong about Green, tho, as she shows glimpses of promise as an actor and then it twigged it wasn't her that I was having trouble warming to, but her dreadful character.  They really should drop the whole Vulcan angle and just let her act.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 December, 2019, 04:55:13 PM
Finally made it to the end of this and what a load of old cobblers it was.  Reminded me most of Star Trek Into Darkness, and not just because a half hour from the end of it I just wanted it to end already, I mean it lifted scenes mostly from that movie, as well as loads of scenes from other Treks down through the years - most obviously the torpedo in the mess hall episode of DS9.
Is this the best we can hope for?  The same few plots endlessly recycled with modern production standards?  Yet another threat from the fucking future?  Jesus wept.  And don't even get me started on all the superhero shit at the end.  Utter horseshit.

I will say I was wrong about Green, tho, as she shows glimpses of promise as an actor and then it twigged it wasn't her that I was having trouble warming to, but her dreadful character.  They really should drop the whole Vulcan angle and just let her act.

Yeah, I really tried to cut it some slack but by the end, my head hurt. Shame. Like the cast, think the show looks great, but until they get a decent writing team in there, they're doomed to fail. Neither know nor care when it comes back. Probably not what CBS had in mind.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com