Main Menu

Jim Baikie

Started by jannerboyuk, 31 December, 2017, 01:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard S.

For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

TordelBack

Ace,  cheers!

The composition and sense of gravity and momentum in this one, in a Santa pic - what a master:

Colin YNWA

Wow astonishing find. Those are fantastic so unlike Jim Baikie as we know him, yet still identifibly Jim Baikie. What a talent.

Jim_Campbell

Y'know, if you took Jim's name off those and told me they were by Steve Parkhouse, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Given that I think Steve is one of the most under-appreciated cartoonists in the modern era, I hope that comes across as the compliment it's intended to be...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard S.

and (purely by co-incidence) on my blog a year ago today I looked at Jim's Dredd contribution to "Loadsa Funnies"

https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/04/loadsa-funnies-part-1-jim-baikies-dredd.html
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 April, 2021, 10:27:52 AM
Y'know, if you took Jim's name off those and told me they were by Steve Parkhouse, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. Given that I think Steve is one of the most under-appreciated cartoonists in the modern era, I hope that comes across as the compliment it's intended to be...

That's a good point and I completely agree about Steve Parkhouse being one of the most under-rated artists working in comics. The man is a titan but doesn't seem to get the credit at all.

No too shabby a writer too come to that.

broodblik

I am one of those guilty parties related to Steve Parkhouse work. I had a big disliked in his work (mainly because of Big Dave) in 2000AD and I re-discovered him when I started to read Resident Alien. He is a good artist as simple as that.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

He did an admirable job replacing John Ridgway on Luke Kirby as well. A totally different style, but it still worked for the story and character.

Simon Fraser

I notice that this thread popped up again and I'll take this opportunity to mention that Jim Baikie was the first comic book artist I ever talked to. It was the 1987 UKCAC , my first ever Con. I was down from the Highlands, my first trip to London, all by myself, nervous as Hell. It was my first attempt to engage with the comics community ,which I had decided to devote my life to the year earlier. A momentous thing for me, as I'm sure you can imagine. Jim had the misfortune to be identifiable to me and to sit down in an easily accessible location and be by himself. I took my chance! He was very gracious with this youngster, who could barely speak due to nerves. He looked through my portfolio ( all original pages, I didn't have access to a photocopier ) and gave me some helpful advice. Most of which I immediately forgot. The lesson I did learn from that interaction wasn't about drawing comics are all, it was about being kind and patient to a tongue tied and cripplingly anxious kid who has decided to do something scary and needs some reassurance. I've had many reasons to think back on that interaction over the decades since and I've tried to follow his example. I never met Mr. Baikie again. I'd have liked to thank him.