Main Menu

How do you read yours?

Started by MumboJimbo, 12 November, 2019, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Front to back for me, but with the occasional "Series so far re-read" if my memory fails me. Possibly more likely with the Meg though as it's less frequent.

Dredd is usually strong of course, which gets proceedings off to a good start with the front to back approach.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Bolt-01

I read it in the order Tharg serves it, almost always.

I, Cosh

Read it from front to back every week. Think the only exception to this in history was the last episode of Red Seas.

Every few months I'll do a full reread of every story which has finished recently, regardless of what I thought of it weekly. Depending on my mood, this will sometimes expand to reread of the entire strip to date. For example, I'm anticipating a Machine Law - Harvey - Guatemala feast on the train tomorrow night but I've been putting off a full reread of Michael Collins' Dredd for a while.
We never really die.

dweezil2

I read my Prog in story printed order and like to savour it over the week (can't have concentrated thrill-power, too dangerous) and usually finish it on the Tuesday ready for Prog release day on the Wednesday, where I pick it up from my local thrill merchant!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Dark Jimbo

Always front-to-back for me, as Tharg intended (when I was still reading it). Feet up and a cup of tea on a Saturday afternoon, in the garden if the weather was nice. I do miss that little bit of routine.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 14 November, 2019, 10:45:41 AM
Michael Collins' Dredd for a while.

Hey, Mike! I think I've found the culprit who wrote that letter telling you to keep republican sentiments out of your Dredd stories.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Frank on 14 November, 2019, 01:27:33 PM
Hey, Mike! I think I've found the culprit who wrote that letter telling you to keep republican sentiments out of your Dredd stories.
Arf. One story that benefitted from a reread was Age of the Wolfe Tone.
We never really die.

AlexF

Like so many, I read the Prog in the order it arrives, invariably starting with the 'Damage Report' segment. Except on occasions when one particular story has some week-to-week thrills going on (that tends to be something written by Wagner or Abnett, who have that writing skill well-honed!), and I might jump straight to that. Reading out of order digitally is a bit of a pain - you have to take a bit of a stab at guessing which page from the list at the bottom of the screen will jump to the correct point. Trying to re-read each episode of a single thrill using my digital progs becomes a bit of a chore, which often doesn't do the story any favours. It's almost as if they want me to buy the collected editions.

Conversely, I get the Meg in original paper format, and typically read each thrill (and some of the articles) in random order, perhaps because I enjoy the ability to leaf through it in a way that I can't do digitally.

I'm also long overdue a Dredd re-read focussing on the Carroll-scripted efforts. I suspect he's been seeding certain plot elements for a lot longer than I've noticed.

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 14 November, 2019, 02:06:24 PM
Quote from: Frank on 14 November, 2019, 01:27:33 PM
Arf. One story that benefitted from a reread was Age of the Wolfe Tone.

Ooh, nice return. I read the first page of every story when Tharg posts them on social media, then tackle the rest in order of publication each Wednesday morning*

I've already seen the cover, too, so Damage Report is my real landing point. Technically, Tharg's opening address should be the place to start, but Damage Report occasionally says something interesting, whereas Tharg's intros are usually just boiler plate **

Tharg's intro bucked the trend this week, with TMO urging readers not to vote Tory.

* As a kid who was crestfallen when 2000ad didn't arrive on a Wednesday - and would sometimes walk 7 miles to the nearest big town on the off chance the problem was with my local paper shop - knowing 2000ad will be waiting there whenever I wake up is one of life's guaranteed small pleasures.

** Although the Damage Reports that are written in character - where the Nerve Centre is invaded or something (like the current ones) - are really Tharg text stories, which are exactly as thrilling as that sounds.

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 14 November, 2019, 05:28:31 PM
Tharg's intro bucked the trend this week, with TMO urging readers not to vote Tory.

The Johnson humanoid may never have picked his top three thrills, but has the Corbynlet? And were they Red Seas, Durham Red, and, of course, Antisemitic Wars?

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 November, 2019, 06:51:20 PM
Antisemitic Wars?

Gold Star *

* If I were your editor, I'd have tweaked that to Antisemite Wars, but you're not getting paid, so do your own thing.