Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Day 18 in the Covid NHS aka project mayhem, and 20% of our staff are off already while we field literally hundreds and hundreds of phone calls. Pausing every now and then to put all the gear on and see patients in our designated isolation room.

The toilet roll phenomenon is affecting prescription supply chains already with numerous requests for paracetamol "just in case", blue salbutamol inhalers "just in case", and "can I have 3 or 6 or even 9 months worth of my repeat prescriptions now, just in case?"

BTW the fact that the paper masks the department of health sent us went past their use by date in 2016 is apparently just fine.

Good luck, everyone.
Stay safe and now please wash your hands.
Eamonn

Steve Green

Take care Eamonn,

I would have hoped pictures of a temp morgue being erected in London might persuade people, but seeing clips of fuckwits in gyms wanting to 'take it on the chin' just makes me despair.

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 March, 2020, 07:38:45 PM
We need to be ready to rock once we're through this, 'cos worse is on its way.

Absolutely. This is a dress rehearsal for the real crisis, but I'm hoping against hope that the fact that no-one knows their cues, marks or lines, and both the sets and the costumes appear to be for a different play entirely, wakes everyone the fuck up.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 18 March, 2020, 09:06:59 PM

Good luck, everyone.
Stay safe and now please wash your hands.
Eamonn

Hang in there Eamonn, you utter legend. I'm sure I speak for all of us here when I ask that you pass on our thoughts and best wishes to your colleagues too.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 March, 2020, 07:44:49 PM
At this point, money is exposed as the fiction that it is. The government has two options—pretend that all the old economic 'realities' still apply and let a few hundred thousand people die, or adopt some policies that three months ago we were told were communist heresy and would mean the end of the world.

Indeed.

I suspect, however, that the Powers That Shouldn't Be will use this current situation to further their money-as-chains agenda. They've been trying to eradicate cash for years and replace it with digital currency - which sounds good until one realises that authorities will then be able to switch off any individual's money for any reason. All they have to say is that notes and coins spread the Virus of the Day and people will actually beg for cash to be abolished. Classic problem, reaction, solution.

Personally, I'm not over worried about this latest outbreak. What does worry me is how this situation is going to be used to further curtail freedoms and rights for the masses, and increase the freedoms and rights of "authorities." Sure, steps should be taken to combat the virus - but will those steps be retraced when the crisis is over? I doubt it. Once a government gives itself a power, it rarely gives it up again.

We're going to see a lot of Draconian measures instigated, things authoritarians have been dreaming of for a long time, and people will accept them through fear. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

There's a lot of weird surrounding this year's virus, from the idea that at least one of the five strains of corona originated in the US but was either covered up by or misdiagnosed as a result of vaping to the suggestion that it's a weaponised virus which either breached quarantine or was deployed on purpose. I don't know, to be honest.

Whatever's occurring, I think the best thing to do is act sensibly on a personal level because all the "elites" want to do is use it to spread fear and panic in order to advance their own agendas. Which seems to be working better this time around. When I remember all the other civilisation-ending diseases the MSM has been waving at us for the past few years, I can't help but think about "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." Perhaps the whole planet should remember that fable and demand a better, more balanced media, amongst other things.

I'm not going to get into arguments over this post - this is just how I see things - I may be right and I may be wrong, I really don't know.

Stay well, everyone, and don't give in to the fear.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I know you don't want an argument Sharkie, and I totally accept that: I'd just say that the stats (and their limitations) on this one are fully open from the start thanks to the WHO, and from those this isn't a 'civilisation ending disease', and nor has it been presented as one: civilisation could proceed without the 3-10% largely elderly and vulnerable, as has been suggested by pricks possibly to the benefit of the hale taxpayer: but it turns out that many people aren't prepared to accept that, and would rather turn civilisation upside down than not even try to minimise casualties. I take that show of humanity as a positive.

Professor Bear

Not to take Sharky's side - because he's a dirty anarcho-commie and we all know syndicalism is where it's at - but Johnson is already signing into law, without a vote in the Commons, a two-year period of what is effectively martial law for the UK, and tbh, I think the only reason we're getting the watered-down version of it is so that our chickenshit troops have their hands free for some pre-planned military adventure.

Cyberleader2000

there are times where I think we really need to let darwinism "survival of the fittest" happen and this is one of thros times.

https://sea.mashable.com/culture/9597/disgusting-coronavirus-challenge-has-people-licking-toilet-seats-and-doorknobs
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Jim_Campbell

People are really, really, losing their fucking minds.

Things we aren't going to run out of: milk, eggs, soap, toilet roll and baked beans.

Things we are going to run out of very soon: potatoes and tomatoes, which are largely imported at this time of year. Thanks to Just In Time supply chains, the stuff that would have been in the shops next week probably hasn't even been picked yet... and the places where they grow are all under lockdown.

As a bonus: remember all that flooding? The flooding that stopped UK farmers planting a wide variety of crops earlier this year...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Why the fuck are construction sites - and by extension me and my team - still working? No matter how many social distancing/hygiene measures we enforce, most of the gang still have to get the bus or share lifts. And now the bus services (up to now reasonably empty and well-spaced) have been slashed, so everyone was jammed in this morning again. This is all pure greed.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 March, 2020, 09:51:36 AM

As a bonus: remember all that flooding? The flooding that stopped UK farmers planting a wide variety of crops earlier this year...?

Yep - it's a perfect storm: food supplies interrupted by climate change, Hostile Environment for migrant workers meaning food left rotting in the fields, European supply chains petering out as folk self-isolate, so many folk ALREADY hungry due to poverty, and of course let's not forget about the effects of Brexit and the complete balls-up which is government right now.

I see trouble ahead.

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 March, 2020, 09:47:31 PM
Personally, I'm not over worried about this latest outbreak. What does worry me is how this situation is going to be used to further curtail freedoms and rights for the masses, and increase the freedoms and rights of "authorities." Sure, steps should be taken to combat the virus - but will those steps be retraced when the crisis is over? I doubt it. Once a government gives itself a power, it rarely gives it up again.

Don't be silly - after the first world war ended, licensing laws regarding pub opening times were loosened again, weren't they? ...

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 March, 2020, 09:51:36 AM
People are really, really, losing their fucking minds.

Things we aren't going to run out of: milk, eggs, soap, toilet roll and baked beans.

Things we are going to run out of very soon: potatoes and tomatoes, which are largely imported at this time of year. Thanks to Just In Time supply chains, the stuff that would have been in the shops next week probably hasn't even been picked yet... and the places where they grow are all under lockdown.

My wife's brother-in-law was bragging he had enough toilet roll to last them for at least a year. When I asked if I could get a package, just one mind, he said he'd have to think about it and come up with a suitable value if he did let me have one. Prick.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 19 March, 2020, 01:01:02 PMhe said he'd have to think about it and come up with a suitable value if he did let me have one. Prick.

Unbefuckingleivable. Kill the twat. Take what you want. Y'know... if that's how he wants things to work.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.