Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 21 August, 2013, 10:14:37 AM...we're not reading Pat Mills presents 2000ad and The John Wagner Megazine.

Those titles do give me a pleasurable tingle in the thrill-receptors...

Free publicity aside, what really annoys me here is seeing 2000AD cast in the role of intellectual robber baron in a major news source, without even a whiff of balance.  I can't blame Grant for putting his best foot forward, but either Laura Sneddon or her editor is surely under some obligation to at least mention Rebellion's position.

Just pawn your bauble of feudal obeisance Grant old boy, should cover a few C&Ds.

Colin Zeal

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2013, 11:06:46 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 21 August, 2013, 10:14:37 AM...we're not reading Pat Mills presents 2000ad and The John Wagner Megazine.

Free publicity aside, what really annoys me here is seeing 2000AD cast in the role of intellectual robber baron in a major news source, without even a whiff of balance.  I can't blame Grant for putting his best foot forward, but either Laura Sneddon or her editor is surely under some obligation to at least mention Rebellion's position.

Just pawn your bauble of feudal obeisance Grant old boy, should cover a few C&Ds.

The article does raise the question of whether the commissioning editor knew that Laura Sneddon is a friend of Grant's. I realise it's a piece primarily to promote the Wonder Woman graphic novel but Sneddon and the editor should have known that the Zenith/Rebellion aspect required some balance and further background to the story.

klute

I suspect Rebellion's position doesn't matter to either party's..........i find it hard to believe the "fans" are GM'S worry (Understandably) money amongst other things will play into this thought's regarding Zenith.BUT as a Fan of his Zenith work i'm selfish i want a book/collected edition instead of hunting down overpriced unfinished Titan/Zenith series.

£100 is alot to pay for the book, am i willing to chance that Rebellion or anyone else will release the series? NO i'm not. I'm a customer not an artist so my feeling's regarding the matter will be different to Grant/Rebellions but at the end of the day i'm a fan and surely without me/us there is no career for Grant or Rebellion so surely it's in the interest for all party's to come to some agreement that benefits all of us.

At the end of the day the customer/fan has to come first otherwise where are the other 2?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

JOE SOAP

Free publicity aside, what really annoys me here is seeing 2000AD cast in the role of intellectual robber baron in a major news source, without even a whiff of balance.

It's troubling, especially when the implication, by the author, is that Rebellion care nothing of its base but are just out to make a short term, fast buck. They're not exactly making a killing from the limited edition £100 hardback. I can see both sides and these things can be a battle of willls but pieces like this don't help either case.

"Well, it's very simple," he begins with a wince.

Well, it isn't really, is it, and the article should point that out.

klute

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 August, 2013, 11:49:58 AM
Free publicity aside, what really annoys me here is seeing 2000AD cast in the role of intellectual robber baron in a major news source, without even a whiff of balance.

It's troubling, especially when the implication, by the author, is that Rebellion care nothing of its base but are just out to make a short term, fast buck. They're not exactly making a killing from the limited edition £100 hardback. I can see both sides and these things can be a battle of willls but pieces like this don't help either case.

"Well, it's very simple," he begins with a wince.

Well, it isn't really, is it, and the article should point that out.

I assume rightly or wrongly that as their is no mention of Rebellion saying "No Comment" or giving comment that either legally they can't or they were never approached????

opaque

Quote from: klute on 21 August, 2013, 11:35:14 AM
At the end of the day the customer/fan has to come first otherwise where are the other 2?

With self-publishing you don't even need the customer to create the product.

klute

Quote from: opaque on 21 August, 2013, 11:53:11 AM

With self-publishing you don't even need the customer to create the product.

Indeed but without a customer to buy the product it's pointless as there is no money involved.

Frank

at the end of the day i'm a fan and surely without me/us there is no career for Grant or Rebellion so surely it's in the interest for all party's to come to some agreement that benefits all of us.

I'd imagine the legal shenanigans of the nineties just provided Morrison and Millar with a handy way of ensuring Fleetway didn't make a killing flooding the US market with cheapo reprints of their not-very-good early work on the back of their newfound fame. Morrison's name and reputation are so well established now that can't be a concern anymore, and in the case of Zenith there isn't any worry about the quality of the material.

I'm sure it's in the best interests of both parties to cut some kind of deal where Morrison gets a handsome share of any reprint profits and Rebellion agree to treat the character and the existing material in the same way as Halo Jones - rather than farming Zenith out as a house character to up and coming writers looking for a break, as they appear to be doing with another of his creations. That seems a bit cheeky, but I suppose it makes a point.

Skullmo

Balance in the Guardian? Next you will be asking for well written articles without cheap bias!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Skullmo

Miller wants ownership of Babe Race 2000!

hippynumber1

Skullmo

He says he is not taking it without a fight!

hippynumber1

Steve Green

klute

Any new status updates regarding the book?