Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night and its really - nearly - a complete success. Great movie BUT its one problem is the over the top ending that just tries to pack a little too much in. It seems to lack the confidence of the rest of the film to tell a story well and allow the explosions to fall in all the right places.

The ape attack on the human citadel would have a much better ending - all be it we do need to wrap up Koba's story. The fight between Caesar and Koba feels a bit like its stretching to reach those heights but doesn't make it (mind its better then the trip through the tree tops ending to Battle!) and to try to force it up a notch in the drama stakes they have the humans blowing up the tower bolt on.

Its all a bit of an overwrought shame as I think otherwise this would claim top spot when I attempt to rank all the Apes movies after a rewatch of War of which I hope to get to in the next few days.

Bad City Blue

Fighting With my Family - absolutely brilliant, with real heart and lots of very funny lines. Fans may be annoyed at the liberties taken with the wrestler Paige's actual story (which involved a LOT more than is in the film), but as I'm not a wrestling fan I bloody loved it.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Colin YNWA

A rewatch of 'War' in correct chronological place last night means I now come to the almost impossible challenge of ranking the Apes movies. I'm excluding Tim Burton's from this as it feels such a different beast and I've not rewatched it, I doubt it would be anywhere other than bottom, but can't be bothered to find out if I'm honest.

Unlike many other franchises with which I think my order is pretty set I strongly suspect if I did this again in a couple of weeks it would read different - but for now...

Escape (marginally) > PotAs > Dawn > War > Rise >> Conquest >> Beneath > Battle

Even at the bottom I have a lot of affection for 'Battle' and there's none I don't enjoy, the last three however are objectively much worse movies than the first 5, any of which I can happy watch at any time.

JamesC

I really like the Apes movies but can never remember which one is which or what order they go in. Is the one with the big nuclear bomb at the end stil chronologically last or did that get retconned?

Pyroxian

Quote from: JamesC on 08 March, 2019, 08:28:18 AM
I really like the Apes movies but can never remember which one is which or what order they go in. Is the one with the big nuclear bomb at the end stil chronologically last or did that get retconned?

Aren't the original 5 films circular in Chronology, so you can start at any of them?

Mardroid

That was Beneath... It was second made, but it was the last one chronologically... but not in a timely wimey way as the apes from Escape... travelled back after those events, if that makes sense.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 08 March, 2019, 01:29:55 PM

That was Beneath... It was second made, but it was the last one chronologically... but not in a timely wimey way as the apes from Escape... travelled back after those events, if that makes sense.

Yeah its Escape that 'turns' the corner. The new movies essentially give an alternative origin to the Planet of the Apes 'replacing' Escape, Conquest and Battle if you so desire.

Production order is:

Planet of the Apes; Beneath the Planet of the Apes; Escape from the Planet of the Apes; Conquest of the Planet of the Apes; Battle for the Planet of the Apes.

Dandontdare

ah man, I love the ape movies, both classic and modern. I've even got a soft spot for that silly TV series, though I never really delved into the comics.

So many classic moments, but I vividly remember a distinct frisson of fear the first time I saw the bit where the gorilla soldier comprehends the meaning of the old circus poster and goes (ahem) apeshit (although I couldn't tell you which film that was in ...Beneath?)

Apestrife

PADDINGTON. Just as funny and charming as I found the second to be. Laughed and cheered through every second of this lovely film.

Trout

Rocky Sullivan died a coward.

Tjm86

I really like the Apes movies but can never remember which one is which or what order they go in ...

... and of course there is also the TV series to add to the confusion.  Short lived, very much a product of its time, but still some nice moments.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 March, 2019, 09:52:49 PM
ah man, I love the ape movies, both classic and modern. I've even got a soft spot for that silly TV series, though I never really delved into the comics.

The Boom! Comics are great. I keep meaning to get the recent reprints of the old Marvel stuff but not quite done so yet.

Mattofthespurs

Loved the UK Marvel comics as a child.
So much so that I still have them all (and Dracula Lives).
Was going to get the reprints that recently came out but prevaricated on volume one and now it's sold out and going for silly money.

von Boom

Christoper Robin. Thank you, Disney, for turning me into a teary mess. You've made it impossible for me to maintain any sense of authority in my own home.

Jim_Campbell

Captain Marvel: ‪tremendous fun. Exciting, with a great soundtrack and several proper laugh-out-loud gags, plus a number of really good in-jokes. Two extra scenes in the credits, as usual. The mid-credits one (actually pretty early) you'll want to stay for. The post-credits one is... not essential but I'm glad I waited for it.

(You may want to stiffen that upper lip at the very start of the movie, though.)

A thoroughly entertaining couple of hours — The fact that it's triggered so many MRA snowflakes is just the icing on the cake. ‬
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.