Main Menu

Google SketchUp

Started by Kev Levell, 23 September, 2010, 09:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

Earlier in the year, after being told numerous times that SketchUp was an immensely useful tool, I decided to spend some time getting to grips with it.
It is a very easy, intuitive program to use and is FREE to download!

I won't go into details, but, I've built (still work in progress actually) some MC-1 roadways and vehicles for a strip I'm doing for Zarjaz.

huge 6317 x3342px zoom-able version

I also built a lawmaster a while ago... rookie mistakes have been including too much detail, because these are only intended as under-lays to work over in ink.

fly-around video

The other massive, advantage is there is a whole 3D warehouse where you can download useful reference models that other people have built.

The value of the ability to move around a model and frame shots really can't be underestimated. I recently did a DPS for Murky Depths and built a very simple church and graveyard and used it to try out more dramatic compositions...

In short, I'd recommend this as a simple, quick and effective way to take the labour out of tricky perspectives, certainly for things you need to draw multiple times from lots of different angles...
To use the exported jpegs effectively as underlays you need to export at a fairly high resolution which can take time, and then also fiddle a bit in photoshop too before you really have the under-lay you need, but I still think it's still slightly quicker than constructing it with traditional perspective drawing techniques.

I'd be interested to see other people's screen grabs, should they decide to get to grips with SketchUp, hopefully, this thread would be a nice place to do that.

Colin YNWA

Loving those Mopads!

That looks like it'd be fun even for none artie types.

Kev Levell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 September, 2010, 09:44:34 AM
Loving those Mopads!
Thanks Colin!

That looks like it'd be fun even for none artie types.

That's the thing, it doesn't require any art skills. You can build things to scale and measure things - a friend has used it to plan shelves in his house...

It's worth also seeing Jon Hodgson's SketchUp posts on Scotch Corner.

Professor Bear

Nice work, Kev!

I hate to be one of those grumpy old fuckers*, but I did download a previous version of Sketchup - the one that explained everything in 14 easy play-along steps - and thought it was the bee's knackers.  Until it asked me to update - like a fool I did so and the setup changed and the little footprints disappeared from the tool tray.  Previously, you could use that icon to 'walk' virtually around your model without going through walls and that, so you'd always have a sensible, not overly-dramatic view/angle that was a great perspective reference, but now there's just drag and rotate options, which aren't terribly precise and you often end up inside objects.

I do use it still, though, and the only advice I can really offer is that it might be worth taking time to make a few texture map jpegs both for the model and for dragging into the eventual artwork.  Also try to group items as componants in case you have to move them around or delete them to get a better view.  It also makes cloning stuff a lot easier for models like Kev's Meg, where you can get away with copying the odd vehicle a few times without impacting too badly on file size - dunno about anyone else, but any model over 3mb on my PC and it tends to freeze and hang.

*  This is a lie.

Emperor

Can we see any of your Sketchup work Prof B?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Kerrin

I'd seen the Lawmaster before Kev, it's awesome, that Mega City scene is unbelievable though. The amount of design in the vehicles alone, is jaw-dropping.

Emperor

Quote from: Kerrin on 23 September, 2010, 07:52:44 PM
I'd seen the Lawmaster before Kev, it's awesome, that Mega City scene is unbelievable though. The amount of design in the vehicles alone, is jaw-dropping.

I do hope you are looking at this and thinking "3D Fattie Tank".
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Have to agree with Kevlev it is a very intuitive and fun tool to experiment with and getting better too.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Adrian Bamforth

I had a go with Google Sketchup a few months ago and tried to make a 3D map of the College I work at. It was very intuitive to use though I recall because it had no 'grid' or measurement system, doing things like putting in interior walls and making them meet the ceiling proved impossible. As it's all done by eye there are always cracks. Definitely good for knocking things up quickly by eye (as the name might suggest) but not good if you need things to fit together perfectly.

dyl

There is a measurement system Ade you can enter how far to push/pull things in the box on the bottom right.
I dunno what it is but sketchup just always drives me mad I find it completely un-intuitive! Maybe it's because I'm just too locked into 2d drawing. I'd love to get good at 3d as I can see it would be a huge help, I do use it for the sketchup library where using vehicles and weapons can come in really handy.

BMB

I've been using Sketchup with my comic Kranburn and its been a very handy tool. It takes me a while longer the first time I have to 'build' a new set but once that's done I can simply move around and make exports as necessary. Its been great for key locations like the rooftop town etc.

Or reoccurring vehicles I build basic models, then plonk them into the set file. To get scale right, I'll sometimes grab a top down pic of the location via Google Earth and then lay that down in Sketchup like a carpet that I put the models onto.

I also find though on some of my larger builds the PC really starts to chug.

Your Lawmaster is insane! I make very basic models that you're making me feel ashamed about now! :P For comparison here is one I made for a submission I wanted to do:

Couple of car models:

And a basic example of shelter models into a panel thingy:

Professor Bear

If it helps, Ade, you can lock movement along the horizontal or vertical axis by holding down the arrow keys while dragging objects.

Quote from: Emperor on 23 September, 2010, 02:13:49 PM
Can we see any of your Sketchup work Prof B?

Don't have any.  I make up roughly what I need as basic shapes, PrintScreen and ctrl+v a screen grab into the pic and then wing the details.

edit: a bit like what BMB seems to be doing.

staticgirl

I downloaded that ages ago but I'm having such difficulty using it. I just don't easily think in 3D. Even when I did my art foundation course I was no good at the installations and sculptural projects - they were all flat as pancakes. I'm continuing to try through as I suspect there'll be a Eureka moment at some point when I 'get' it and it would be so useful when I do.

Emperor

Kev has been showing off more of his incredibly detailed Sketchup models:

http://kevlev.blogspot.com/2010/09/sketchup-overkill.html