Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Yer a dead dog Alpha! It's the twenty-fifth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

Outlaw is the first real contemporary, full powered Strontium Dog epic. While Journey to hell features a Johnny, Wulf, and Gronk out of their element and without many time weapons, and Portrait of a mutant is about young Johnny, this is our hero at the height of his powers. It also brings in characters from both those previous epics and from smaller stories we've seen along the way, like Middenface McNulty and the Stix brothers, to say nothing of the ultimate evil, which I'll not spoil at this point. It's time to get the band back together and fight once more for mutant kind! Keep an eye out for my favorite, the Torso from Newcastle, as we head out with Strontium Dog: Outlaw!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

The story which introduced me to... well, everybody in that picture except Johnny and Wulf.  And as it's effectively a sequel to Portrait of a Mutant, which is where my own prog slog is at, I'll be looking forward to listening to that tonight.  Or is that listening forward?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and ninety-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 612 to 615 of 2000AD, covering February of 1989. This episode Tanner heads to the roof, Judge Anderson goes clubbing, Swifty returns and crashes TWO parties, Strontium Dog peeks in, and we'll see the revenge of both a spider-woman and a little blue man!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

Kiss my axe! It's the twenty-sixth in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

More than most thrills, Slaine is a story with distinctive eras, easily identified by their artists. This collection has most of the first era, with work by series creator Angela Kincaid (Angela Mills at the time), along with McMahon and Belardinelli. AFter this we'll be in the time killers era with Glenn Fabry, David Pugh, and Mark Farmer, and we're soon to enter the Simon Bisley era on the podcast. This early era is interesting because of how low to the ground it is. It's got a very Conan feel to it, just a barbarian and his sidekick wandering the land, looking for trouble, and I think it can be interesting to compare this callow youth with the more grown up Sláine that we'll see in the Horned God. I hope you enjoy these early Sláine stories, and my terrible pronunciation of Celtic names!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and ninety-seventh episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1989 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special is for the fellows, with all the stories featuring female protagonists!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Cupid Stunt!
Just like Maze!

Leigh S

Nice episode! Pete Wells hits the nail (made of children's finger bones) on the head when he sneers the word "stoodents"!  :)

More prologuing in the Specials is not good specialing - I do very much like the Judge Cory tale, but question it being here, even if these specials were selling more. Limited filler here, but really only the one strip that really earns the title "Special"

That cover might be prettily painted, but it hasn't aged well - Let's hope Tharg doesn't get his own MeToo moment... claiming they do things differently on Quaxxan is not going to wash!

The Monarch

I do remember reading that alan grant was both baffled and pissed that the corey strip was relegated to a special

Dandontdare

One minute twelve seconds. That's how long it took Wells to lower the tone. And that's including the music.

SpaceSpinner2000

Drokk it! It's the twenty-seventh in our series of Space Spinner 2000 collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

We're back in Mega-City One for a massive, nearly three hour episode! Case Files Five covers over a year of Dredd stories and is truly massive, covering everything from organized crime rackets to violent camping trips. Everything from global thermonuclear war to trans-dimensional avatars of death! As others have mentioned, you can get a digital version for free!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Great stuff (just starting listening) - working from home is much better when you can listen to podcasts!  (until work organises headsets to be sent out to us...)

WhizzBang

Thanks Conrad, that was a great listen and such a lot of great thrills.

However, going through it reminded me of why I do not think this is a good volume for new readers. It was frequenty mentioned in the podcast that there are a lot of call backs here to earlier things. CF5 is one of the best volumes but without the back story of previous volumes much of the seismic effect of what is happening here is lost. The killings of Uncle Ump, Judge Giant and Griffin would mean little to a new reader but were massive plot points for Conrad and Fox. I think a newer reader would also not feel the impact of the Apocolypse War as they would not have gotten to know much about the city before it is destroyed.

My prefferred recommendation for a starting point is Vol 3. This has no epics but introduces City Blocks, Judge Death, Umpty Candy, the long walk (Minty), Otto Sump and Vienna. It also shows us the Cursed Earth (Father Earth, the Black Plague), the Sov block (Battle Of The Black Atlantic), suspended animation (Forever Crimes), Walter and various Mega City fads. It is all action + black humour and no back story knowledge is required so I think CF3 is the ultimate Dredd starting volume.

Colin YNWA

Its hard to argue with Whizzbang there.

Case File 1 - the early fumbles in the dark, two is two wonderful spalling epics BUT with Mega City One as we know it. Case Files 3 is the first with all the pieces in place. Dredd and his world is ready and almost before your eyes becomes fully realised. As you say 5 needs three to have full impact. Its a great read in and of itself of course but so much stronger for the full understand of the City you get in 3.

SpaceSpinner2000

That's an excellent point! I definitely see what you're saying, honestly I'm not sure where I'd start getting a new reader up to speed besides a Fox style "Here's prog 1, lets get slogging!" But as we'll see in episode 199, I might have to develop more streamlined techniques ;)

speaking of which...

In our thrilling hundred and ninety-eighth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 616-620 of 2000AD, covering March & April of 1989. This episode Dredd fights a little blue man, Johnny Alpha fights a Feral mutant, Judges Anderson and Corey fight for psychic justice, and Medivac 318 isn't fighting anyone, they're here to help! We're getting rowdy this episode!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 30 March, 2020, 05:15:55 AM
That's an excellent point! I definitely see what you're saying, honestly I'm not sure where I'd start getting a new reader up to speed besides a Fox style "Here's prog 1, lets get slogging!" But as we'll see in episode 199, I might have to develop more streamlined techniques ;)

My guess is you have an alternate world version of Fox to start on the Judge Dredd Megazine (or was it Judge Dredd The Megazine back in the first Megs?)