Main Menu

Prog 2074:Psiren Song

Started by Tjm86, 24 March, 2018, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

An impressive cover for an equally impressive prog.  Dredd seems to be setting Pin up as a new Edgar, although perhaps I'm misreading things.  Jaegir continues to evolve nicely and Sinister Dexter is another exercise in punch-line establishment that it tends to do best.  Anderson draws us further in.  Can't remember if we've seen Echo before or when and not so sure about how Karyn ended up where she did.  Then we round out with Stront which has a nice old-school feel to it as more of the set up is established.  Dreaming of Wulf's death may point to the reason behind Alpha's hostility but there seems to have been an edge to him that wasn't there before the death.

... and as for the art; Weston, Coleby, Yeowell, Roach, Ezquerra ... all on fine form.  Another treat.

Richard

Can't remember who Echo is, or how Karyn got possessed by a demon, although I do recall that that happened. But will be interesting to see what happens next week. And Roach's art is brilliant.

I like how Nu-Earth is a dumping-ground for has-beens.

All five stories were good this week.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 March, 2018, 12:37:32 PM
... and as for the art; Weston, Coleby, Yeowell, Roach, Ezquerra ... all on fine form.  Another treat.

Well there's no denying this is absolutely true. The Prog is a joy in the eye. Mind to bring us back down to earth Tharg points out in the Nerve Centre that Emily Zeinner's cover is the first by a woman since Angie Kincaid's Slaine back in 330... that's pretty damned rubbish, worse that we as fans haven't noticed! Shame on us all and here's to getting that sorted pretty bloody quickly!

Anyway to matters Thrillpowered. Dredd is a really great scene setter developing relationships and move the dynamic between Dredd and Pin on in dramatic ways, while not being overtly dramatic as a story. The game one thinks is afoot.

Jaegir continues to pack quite a punch and is really moving things on very nicely. While in Sinister Dexter  once again Dabnett and Yeowell provide a masterclass in how to do a self contained story that doesn't move anything on but is wholely satisfying in its own right.

I'm struggling slightly with Anderson , glorious though the art is its not quite hanging together and I keep double guessing myself, going back to check what I've missed only to find its nothing and what I thought must be there isn't. Are we meant to know Echo?

Strontium Dog builds towards being something also, but also doesn't quite feel like it is yet. The introduction of the case at the end of the strip might be what we need to pull this together and make his not just a set of reminiscences and revelations about Wulf. It will also hopefully give Kenton more room to develop as a character not just a legacy. Still much potential not quite yet realised.

Overall nothing jarring and three excellent strips so all good with me.

Bolt-01

I don't think we've met Echo before but Karyn was possessed in the Undercity in a strip by Rennie and Cook waay back in the day. She's presumably been locked up since.

Top proggage and YAAY for Mimkiki !!

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 March, 2018, 05:10:21 PM
Emily Zeinner's cover is the first by a woman since Angie Kincaid's Slaine back in 330... that's pretty damned rubbish, worse that we as fans haven't noticed! Shame on us all and here's to getting that sorted pretty bloody quickly!

What I like most is that those that have been selected so far have produced some cracking work.  We're getting positive discrimination with a capital POSITIVE.  Agree though, it's remiss of us to have missed that point.

Tjm86

... oh, and found the strip Bolt was talking about with Karyn's possession.  Descent circa prog 1436, all of 13 years ago!

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 March, 2018, 05:10:21 PM
Tharg points out in the Nerve Centre that Emily Zeinner's cover is the first by a woman since Angie Kincaid's Slaine back in 330... that's pretty damned rubbish, worse that we as fans haven't noticed! Shame on us all and here's to getting that sorted pretty bloody quickly!

Give Fay Dalton more work!  I'm guessing that means that the prog has now had a grand total of two female cover artists in 41 years, and the Megazine one?  Particularly saddening considering Jan Shepheard designed a logo which has appeared on a good number of those covers...

p.s. great cover by Emily!

73north

I also really enjoyed the whole comic , agree , there was not one weak story -

I am especially enjoying the long-awaited new series by Gordon Rennie - Jaegir
I have been a huge , huge fan of it since it started in 2014 , I thought the idea that Nu-Earth
was the equivalent of getting sent to the Eastern Front - excellent
( and we learned the surname of Reesa ) in the second part In the Realm Of Pyrrhus

I am also delighted we have finally a new STRONTIUM DOG , as I adore that character
( I read the first issue he was introduced , in Starlord , back in 1978 - so I have a personal connection )

2000ad is really excellent this week - looking forward to next weeks issue

Proudhuff

I know we should never have doubted Tharg... Last week's jumping on Prog was the best for a long long time and this one continues in the same vein.
And there's even a letters page with not a whimper from But'man how sweet is that  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Really great Prog this week, if anything even better than last week.

I am sorry to see Dredd finish so soon, but there is a promise of more (I am "to be continued"doesn't mean next week  :lol:)

Jaegir provides a nice explanation for why last week's episode read more like a traditional Rogue Trooper episode and sets up some intrigue to come. A great example of an episode that reads well in the week it is published and is part of a greater whole (the lack of this sort of things seems to have been the main complaint against 2000AD lately).

Sinister Dexter is great as always.

Where we meant to recognise the judge on the second last page with the long dark hair in Anderson?

Magnetica

Doh! Hadn't finished - where is the modify button when you need it?

Strontium Dog is just great. Those last few panels promise a real old school caper is to follow.I can even forgive the flashback / dream sequence given it has not been done to death (unlike in Slaine).

We get an explanation for how come everyone is still alive in Bad Company on the letters page. Now I have heard this before (on the Thrillcast with Pete Milligan a while back) and it's not an explanation I can get on board with. It's tantamount to just saying it's ok to forget anything that happened previously and just do whatever. As well as the issue that creates for previous series it also means that the same applies to any new series, which for me puts them into the category that nothing that happens in them matters. And if that is 5 case, it pretty much destroys any dramatic tension.

Proudhuff

I'm so looking forward to Dredd finding Judge Pin's trophy collection, and also what he's planning with his 'trusted' colleagues, (Dirty Frank? but who's Sam btw?) Shirley he's not planning regime change?! Purge of Council of Five? He mentions Smiley as an adversary too... Really nice set up, and the more I go over Jaegir the more I like it, artwork is outstanding.

New Dark Age? My Arse!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

The prog is currently going strong.

Dredd promises of things to come with Pin looking like a menacing adversary.

Jaeger my favorite strip of current run and I really like the build-up to the real reason why they are on Nu-Earth

Sin/Dex is to much one-offs and I would rather have a bigger story (please Mr Abnett rather focus in bringing either the next chapters of Brink or Kingdom).

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 March, 2018, 06:34:00 PM

Strontium Dog is just great. Those last few panels promise a real old school caper is to follow.I can even forgive the flashback / dream sequence given it has not been done to death (unlike in Slaine).

My same sentiment

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

As is often the way, I enjoyed this prog of second episodes even more than last week's openers.  Everything has settled in nicely, although I could definitely have managed another episode of that wonderful Dredd.

One of the more deliciously brutal Sinister Dexters, old-fashioned fun on NuEarth in Jaegir, and a deeply enjoyable Strontium Dog.  Additional appreciative murmurs for Anderson, the mix of reassuringly familiar Roach art, old characters and Beeby's new stylings works so well. 

A very, very good'un.