Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: radiator on 14 August, 2019, 11:24:59 PMIt doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything, but nor does it feel like it has a proper ending ending either, and there was definitely plenty of scope for a third season. I believe they always wanted/intended to do one, and were talking about it even as recently as a few years ago, but eventually the iron went cold. I definitely wouldn't want them to bring it back now.
Likewise. Series from the distant past need to stay there – and especially comedies. All this talk about dredging up Blackadder just gives me the heebie-jeebies. As for Spaced, I'm not sure they ever really seriously thought about doing more, once a little time had passed. I do recall Americans trying to do a version, whitewashing Hynes entirely, and Pegg/Wright then releasing an angry joint statement (and doing interviews) that made their thoughts on that very clear.

As for series 2, I thought it ended well. Little was left dangling. (Possibly, [spoiler]Brian and Twist, but then that single shot with Twist made you think there was probably hope for some kind of future for them[/spoiler].)

I did like Pegg's line (from 2013) on revisiting Spaced: "Whenever we get asked about... another series of Spaced... one of the reasons we're not going to do it is because we couldn't possibly write it with any degree of truth now, because that's not where we are or who we are any more. I always find it's better to write from a perspective of truth."

karlos

Red Dwarf.

After series 6, and the departure of Rob Grant, it's been diminishing returns ever since.

Always nice to see the boys back onscreen, and there's been ome cracking bits here and there, for sure, but never quite as good as it's heyday.

IndigoPrime

I dunno. I didn't much like VII or VIII (it became more sf than comedy), and Back to Earth was atrocious. But I enjoyed X, and thought in many ways XI and XII were a return to form. Arguably, the real problem was the BBC sitting on the show (or ignoring it) for so long, for no obvious reason other than someone senior hated sf.

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 August, 2019, 09:53:15 AM
As for Spaced, I'm not sure they ever really seriously thought about doing more, once a little time had passed. I do recall Americans trying to do a version, whitewashing Hynes entirely, and Pegg/Wright then releasing an angry joint statement (and doing interviews) that made their thoughts on that very clear.

Am I missing something?  I thought Jessica Hynes was white in the first place?

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 August, 2019, 10:56:52 AM
I dunno. I didn't much like VII or VIII (it became more sf than comedy), and Back to Earth was atrocious. But I enjoyed X, and thought in many ways XI and XII were a return to form. Arguably, the real problem was the BBC sitting on the show (or ignoring it) for so long, for no obvious reason other than someone senior hated sf.

The usual problem with the BBC, seen time and time again (even when they're producing world class TV SF).

Greg M.

Quote from: karlos on 15 August, 2019, 10:23:31 AM
Red Dwarf.

After series 6, and the departure of Rob Grant, it's been diminishing returns ever since.

Always nice to see the boys back onscreen, and there's been ome cracking bits here and there, for sure, but never quite as good as it's heyday.

I look at it this way – is anything from the resurgent RD equal to or better than anything from classic RD (series 1-6)? And the answer is... yes. Episodes like 'The Beginning', 'Mechocracy' and 'M-Corp' stand tall with the best of them.

karlos

Back to Earth is mostly awful, but the final part was oddly affecting, and very nearly redeemed it.

I agree that XI and XII are better (the ideas are still there), but it seems, to me, to lack a certain magic that I-VI had.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 15 August, 2019, 11:10:41 AMAm I missing something?  I thought Jessica Hynes was white in the first place?
Whitewashing in the sense of ignoring her existence and having been instrumental in the original. Spaced in the McG version was presented as something by the two blokes who did Shaun of the Dead.

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2019, 11:14:29 AMI look at it this way – is anything from the resurgent RD equal to or better than anything from classic RD (series 1-6)? And the answer is... yes. Episodes like 'The Beginning', 'Mechocracy' and 'M-Corp' stand tall with the best of them.
To my mind, series 1 and 6 are spottier than the most recent two. Doug Naylor does have a tendency to recycle a bit much, but the series is a lot better now it's not trying to be a low-budget Blade Runner.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 15 August, 2019, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: Greg M. on 14 August, 2019, 10:41:04 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
Nemesis Book IV

Lose Nemesis Bks V and VI?! You appear to have gone completely insane and should report to Mel-Quake forthwith.

QFT

The degree of contrary consensus here indicates that a re-read is warranted. But if I have to look at those flared shoulderpads for two whole books, coupled with the Monad/Primord nonsense, I may not return in the best of moods...

JamesC

Quote from: karlos on 15 August, 2019, 10:23:31 AM
Red Dwarf.

I was tempted to say Red Dwarf but couldn't decide where the cut off point should be. If I was being really harsh I'd say after series 2. I really like those early low budget pre Kryten episodes (Thanks for the Memory is probably my favourite episode). Series 3-5 are still really good throughout, then it hit a bit of a downward slide. I've really enjoyed the later series on Dave though. It's still the best TV sci fi comedy by miles (let's forget Hyperdrive ever happened).

radiator

QuoteSeries from the distant past need to stay there – and especially comedies.

Yeah. I'm struggling to think of any revivals of popular TV shows that were actually worthwhile.

In some cases such as Arrested Development, Only Fools and Horses and The Royle Family, the dreadful later seasons/episodes actually tarnish the memory of what were decent if not great shows in their day.

Frank

IndigoPrime

Only Fools and Horses was long past its best way before the end, but the Christmas trilogy was a decent wrap-up – which they then ruined with the subsequent three specials. Also, Porridge got resurrected. God knows why. I never realised that Goodnight Sweetheart (another show that should have ended long before it became a parody of itself) had a special, too, albeit only as a one-off.

I'm wondering how many revivals do work. Would Outnumbered count? Although that's only had one new episode since they finished the fifth series. (Also, rarely, that to my mind is a show that was consistently solid throughout.)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 August, 2019, 01:03:57 PM
Nemesis Book IV

Lose Nemesis Bks V and VI?! You appear to have gone completely insane and should report to Mel-Quake forthwith.

QFT

The degree of contrary consensus here indicates that a re-read is warranted. But if I have to look at those flared shoulderpads for two whole books, coupled with the Monad/Primord nonsense, I may not return in the best of moods...

The two Hicklenton Nemesi were bloody brilliant;  stand-out 2000ad moments for me. Very different in tone from previous books.  I read them as a kid but most certainly wouldn't have been allowed to if my parents had had a flick through them.  I still shudder to remember how Nemesis dealt with Torquemada's Oy Boys.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 August, 2019, 06:34:00 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Daredevil - Born Again

By all the songs of importance and value have you lost your you mind man. Has your very soul been devoured by the dark creatures of the night.... what is this you say?!???!!!

Matthew Murdock, attorney at law, speaking for the defense:

"My client has informed me that he recently re-read the entirety of Miller's work over a short time period.
It can, in no uncertain circumstances, be justifiably claimed that this body of work is the definitive take on the character.

While subsequent work by different authors has produced some fine examples of periodic comic strip, my client prefers to imagine a tangent fictional universe wherein the protagonist walked into the sunset at the end of this specific arc - born again in mind and body."

Nemesis Book IV

QFT

I think Tordel hit a carbon monoxide pipe the other evening with this spade.

As for myself; Nemesis Book X initially bamboozled me with its damn fine artwork, but it doesn't hold up to the previous work. It did have a fitting ending, but as mentioned, even that's been since undone.