Main Menu

Prog 2073 - Future Visions!

Started by Leigh S, 17 March, 2018, 10:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Well that's a chunk of thrillpower - hopefully that will help quell the unrest that some have felt during the last run.

Haven't read it all yet, but Wagner....he doews it again

I'm reading page 1 of the new Stront and thinking - the new Director is a bit of a cliche and there he goes and Wagners it once again! That's thrillpower right there - the ability to confound your expectations, to almost know ehat the reader is thinking before he has thought it.... Excellent!

The art is uniformly ace - from classic old timers you know you can count on, to "dark days" artists like Coleby and Ronald whose current work makes you eat your words - I'm tempted to say Alex Ronald is the answer to fixing that woeful America II colouring right there, but then, put him on a strip, pronto!

Then there's Dan Cornwell also proving that Wagner and Tharg were right to put their trust in him - every job is a leap and a bound forward.

Now I just need time to read the bulk of it!

Richard

A very good prog this week!

Judge Dredd brings back Judges Pin and Gerhart, with outstanding art by Chris Weston.

Jaegir gets off to an action-packed start.

There's a Future Shock with great art by Dylan Teague.

There's a funny Sinister Dexter one-off (although it's back next week) which made me laugh out loud twice.

The new series of Anderson starts very well and I'm interested to see where this is going. Written by Emma Beeby, and colour art by Dave Roach which looks fantastic. (Have we seen his work in colour before?)

There's a Judge Fear one-off by Kek-W, which was okay but would have looked much more atmospheric if they'd kept the usual artist.

And Strontium Dog finally comes back — I read this first, and was not disappointed. Some good Wagner humour. [spoiler]I assume Alpha is only being such a dick so that Kenton tries his hardest to impress and doesn't get killed.[/spoiler] Best strip in the prog for me.

Tjm86

Wholeheartedly agree on this week.  A sumptuous feast!  Weston, Ezquerra, Coleby, Teague, Cornwell ... oh my!  I've not been a massive fan of Stront since the resurrection but this one looks promising.  My money is also on the fan theory on Sternhammer junior's treatment but with Wagner anything is possible.

Leigh S

Quote from: Tjm86 on 17 March, 2018, 02:51:47 PM
Wholeheartedly agree on this week.  A sumptuous feast!  Weston, Ezquerra, Coleby, Teague, Cornwell ... oh my!  I've not been a massive fan of Stront since the resurrection but this one looks promising.  My money is also on the fan theory on Sternhammer junior's treatment but with Wagner anything is possible.

I am a bit agnostic about Alpha's resurrection - if we had had a two or three stories a year to put some clear water between the resurrection AND the second Mutant War (both of which felt like obligatory hurdles rather than gripping tales in and of themselves) I would be much more on board - the Repo-Men story was classic Stront, and hopefully this will be too - however, I still feel we are paying off the mortgage taken out to get Alpha back - the more stories, the more that gets paid off IMO

Leigh S

***why cant I modify?***

Personally, I was happy with the flashbacks, but I can see a value in the resurrection, but only if we get the pay off of Stront pushing forward and with one story every year at best, it feels too slow - let me controversial and say I would be happy to see other artists on Stront (if Carlos really wants to draw other stuff, and I'm sure he does!) in order to gain that momentum

Magnetica

Are we sure it is Carlos drawing other stuff that is the reason?

Could it also be due to the rate at which John is writing them?

Leigh S

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 March, 2018, 05:18:37 PM
Are we sure it is Carlos drawing other stuff that is the reason?

Could it also be due to the rate at which John is writing them?

There's that too!  If anything, I guess it is not wrong to assume it may be John having less for Carlos to draw than the otehr way round.... in which case, it's a harder route - a flashback series by another writer wouldnt be a bad thing, maybe, though it would very much depend on the writer - Matt Smith himself I could see doing a grand job, but since he doesnt seem happy to commission himself (which is admirable).... I dunno... John and Carlos see Johnny as their favourite as far as I can tell, so to get them enthused enough in aa way thar might naturally turn up the quantity.With Wagner dialling back how much strip he writes, then I would think it is love more than a regular income that motivates him... hopefully setting up this new Doghouse set up might be key to sparking some more ideas

Darren Stephens

One of the best ' jump on ' progs of recent years. Every strip enjoyable, with cracking art throughout!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Jacqusie

Quote from: Leigh S on 17 March, 2018, 03:28:28 PM
***why cant I modify?***

Personally, I was happy with the flashbacks, but I can see a value in the resurrection, but only if we get the pay off of Stront pushing forward and with one story every year at best, it feels too slow - let me controversial and say I would be happy to see other artists on Stront (if Carlos really wants to draw other stuff, and I'm sure he does!) in order to gain that momentum

You're not alone in thinking this. I've been in the same dilema about the resurrection of Johnny Alpha, as it was great to have the flash back stories with the old gang including Wulf of course.

The secong Mutant war and Johnny's apparent discontent about being dug up, made for rather strange reading, despite the action going on. The Repomen storyline seemed to kick start the Strontium Dogs again and gave some light relief to the series and it's also great to have the new Son of wulf story in our hands at last.

I do agree though that one series a year is hard going and that maybe another artist might have a go? Simon Colbey would do a great Stronty and I do think that Colin McNeil should get another chance after drawing the end of the final solution... it would be some sort of redemption and full circle for the team?

Maybe a new writer might breathe some life into it too... that is if Wagner ever want's to do a job share...

:thumbsup:

Richard

I would rather wait a year or two for an outstanding Strontium Dog story by Wagner than read a mediocre one, or even an adequate one, by somebody else every six months. We've seen what that looks like before.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 17 March, 2018, 11:08:39 PM
I would rather wait a year or two for an outstanding Strontium Dog story by Wagner than read a mediocre one, or even an adequate one, by somebody else every six months. We've seen what that looks like before.

This is what I was thinking too: non-Ezquerra, non-Wagner Strontium Dog - it wasn't exactly a universally welcome phenomenon the first time around.  While both men are still interested in the gig, I'll work with their schedule.

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 17 March, 2018, 12:21:53 PM
And Strontium Dog finally comes back — I read this first, and was not disappointed. Some good Wagner humour. [spoiler]I assume Alpha is only being such a dick so that Kenton tries his hardest to impress and doesn't get killed.[/spoiler]

Nah, that would be too much of a cliche.  I'm betting that Johnny's genuinely upset by his presence and wants him out of there.

broodblik

There is certain characters that I will always associate with specific artists and for me Carlos Ezquerra is  Strontium Dog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

matty_ae

"While both men are still interested in the gig, I'll work with their schedule."

Couldn't put it better