Main Menu

Prog 2077: New York State of Mind

Started by Leigh S, 14 April, 2018, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

The Dredd is OK, but a couple of things seem off - firstly, would the Judges allow a pro-Booth demonstration to spontaneously occur?  There are permits for that kind of thing, and they could riot foam them all for unlawful assembly straight off - also, why is no one in Justice Dept talking to the journalist?

Jaegir is OK, but not thrilling me as much as some of you lot - just seems very slow going this episode

Anderson has lost me entirely, dpsite the refreshing change from the admirable old school of Roach to the admirable old school of Collins/Robinson. It feels like a US superhero team thing, where it's a groupof ssuperheros versus the super baddies that I have no interest in the outcome of.

Stront is fab as usual, with a nice halluci-Wulf appearance - got to love the Big Fellah!

Sin Dex will get read

I am enjoying this run more variably than when it started with Anderson and Dredd and Jaegir to a degree are starting to lose me, something Pat Mills stories rarely do in terms of making each episode a readable chunk

Colin YNWA

Pretty much as you were last week BUT Anderson, the rocky ride that it is takes an upswing. I have to be honest I prefer Collins and Robinson to Roach, they make a great team, fantastic and I think the colourist suits their style more making the art much improved over all. Story felt more coherant but this one still needs a re-read.

Elsewhere both Dredd and Jaegir are excellent. Sinister Dexter is just fantastic - I'm loving this story in a very strong run and Strontium Dog has its strongest episode yet in a story that is getting better and better the longer it goes on.

So all in all a very strong line-up.

Bolt-01

I don't mind saying that after I read this weeks episode of Stront I needed a hug. An outstanding episode.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 April, 2018, 01:56:39 PM
I don't mind saying that after I read this weeks episode of Stront I needed a hug. An outstanding episode.

It was rather emotional wasn't it? Good use of trauma/fever to welcome the Wulf back into the strip & have words with Johnny.

One thing that confused me about the endy bit, was Kenton was telling Johnny he was all ready to quit as he's endangered his life and then the next minute, he's off on another daft one...

...still makes for more fabulous stronty dog mayhem & maybe a chance to prove himself as a chip off der old cucumber...  :)

Geoff

Robinson and Collins - what a great team!

Colin YNWA

broodblik

Great Prog must say that I enjoyed all the strips.

Anderson now starting to take a positive direction (will re-read after the dust has settled to see what I have missed). I enjoyed Roach art on the strip but there is nothing wrong with the Wilson/Robinson combo.

I must give credit on the great art and coloring on Jaegir. The story is going from strength-to-strength. Rennie is one of my favorite writers.   
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 18 April, 2018, 08:24:42 AM
Anderson now starting to take a positive direction (will re-read after the dust has settled to see what I have missed). I enjoyed Roach art on the strip but there is nothing wrong with the Wilson/Robinson combo.

Collins, not Wilson - speaking of which, great to see Mike Collins back in the prog, and Cliff on a strip, instead of the usual (high quality) cover work.  I think Roach is more suited to black and white, and possibly with a tighter cast.  Speaking of someone who loved Purity's Story here...

broodblik

Quote from: sheridan on 18 April, 2018, 11:29:17 PM
Collins, not Wilson - speaking of which, great to see Mike Collins back in the prog, and Cliff on a strip, instead of the usual (high quality) cover work.  I think Roach is more suited to black and white, and possibly with a tighter cast.  Speaking of someone who loved Purity's Story here...

I must agree with you on Roach. If you look at his Prog 2000 Anderson strip you can see why his work is better suited for black and white.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Not so many reviews this week. Is the post-jumping on thrill surge wearing off already?  :o

Cover: Looks great, really impactive, not sure how much Anderson Raid71 has seen though since it doesn't really capture her. Had a look at his website raid71.com, he's done some incredible stuff.

Dredd: Still not quite feeling this story, and the concrete head stuff seems a bit far-fetched (literally 'Old Stony Face' huh). Still let's see how it resolves. Great work from Staz Johnson on art duties.

Jaegir: Like the best strips, this seems effortlessly great. Need to get me 'The Beast Within' collection.

SinDex: Similarly, this just breezes along and is a total blast.

Anderson: Enjoying it, though at this stage I'm afraid I've literally lost the plot. The Collins/Robinson art is fantastic though. Anyone think David Roach is in a padded cell now screaming "But it doesn't make any sense?!"

Strontium Dog: Usually I hate hallucinatory appearances by dead characters but this brought a little tear to my eye  :|. The line "plenty of other women in Milton Keynes knew Wulf's charms" cracked me up. Wagner you genius.

In summary: +++ Thrill content maintaining peak levels +++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 19 April, 2018, 09:48:46 AM
Not so many reviews this week. Is the post-jumping on thrill surge wearing off already?  :o

It can often be the other way around. When folks are happy they get bored of saying - that's GREAT!

James Stacey

Bad City Blue

Dredd has been great, Jaegir I don't read, Anderson has lost medespite the art, SinDex is the best thing at the moment, Strontium Dog is great but lacks something classic strips had
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 April, 2018, 04:15:29 PM
Jaegir I don't read

Just curious... why ever not? It looks great and takes advantage of the magnificent Rogue Trooper milieu whilst neatly side-stepping the problem of Rogue himself.*

*That problem being: (leaving aside my own opinion that Rogue just isn't that interesting) the strip got itself into such a mess towards the end of the Friday era that I'm not sure it's possible to extract something useable to move the character/series forward. RT flashback stories, such as Gordon himself has penned previously, suffer from the same problem as the Strontium Dog flashback stories, with people complaining that there's 'no real jeopardy because we know the character won't die.'**

**Yes. I know this argument makes no sense.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.