Main Menu

Prog 2082 - Out For Blood!

Started by Leigh S, 19 May, 2018, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Broxton's cover is marvellous - looking forward to new Red as someone who has never been comfortable with either the original or Abnett incarnations

Dredd is looking for a tablet, I am reminded to buy the Avalanche

Survival Geeks looks lovely and although I fnd the on the nose geek refs a bit of a tired way of generating humour (and I say this as an early adopter via Spaced etc), it is always good to have an out and out humor strip in the prog

Red also looks good, and I can now see that the style Ben Willsher ha used  should merge quite well with Lee Carters - set just after the second mutant war, which is in itself an interesting pick love the Carlos creds!

A.Cow

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 May, 2018, 10:12:31 AM
Survival Geeks looks lovely and although I fnd the on the nose geek refs a bit of a tired way of generating humour [...] it is always good to have an out and out humor strip in the prog

I'm glad someone's enjoying it because I sure ain't.  For me, Survival Geeks wore out its welcome a loooong time ago.  Not in the slightest interested in a bunch of forgettable paper-thin characters running around saying "Look at me! I'm acting zany! <insert intertextual Star Wars reference here>".

A.Cow

P.S.  Could someone wake me up when something actually happens in Skip Tracer?

geronimo

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 May, 2018, 01:28:18 PM
P.S.  Could someone wake me up when something actually happens in Skip Tracer?

You mean something original or just something that didn't already happen in Brink?

Colin YNWA

Apart from agreeing with A.Cow and finding Survival Geeks pretty twee and tiresome, if beautifully rendered I think we're on fine form.

The names Carroll and Lynch are two that I look forward to seeing on Dredd. Jake Lynch is rapidly becoming one of my favourite current Dredd scribblers and uses Carroll's nicely intriguing script to good effect. This one is a great opening and looking forward to seeing how it develops and what it reflects from the past.

While I might agree with A.Cow about Survival Geeks I disagree with him about Skip Tracer as I'm really enjoying these playful first two part. The lovely action focused burst of the opener leading nicely into this episode that builds a bit of intrigue and interest. A mystery is nicely form and after two episodes we have had stuff happen and more importantly I'm interested in learning more. While I agree to date its nothing too new with Paul Marshal ever more wonderful art a world is established and story brewing and its more than earnt time to slide into new territory with me. It surely needs to, but it deserves the chance to grow.

Durham Red to be far shows how you can do all that in just one episode. Characters and background nicely established with well disguised exposition. A lovely burst of action and a case shown in draft. Great stuff and Ben Wilsher's best art to date. Great opening.

That only leaves Deadworld for me to blather about and it turns out its the post apocalyptic tale I didn't realise I needed and the more this appears the more I like it. Great stuff and cool show down she a comin'

So yeah 4 out of 5 is good in any Prog and the 4 are a good 4 so I'm a happy terran.

Mattofthespurs

Nothing for me today either. Bah.
I'm blaming Meghan!

Jacqusie

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 May, 2018, 01:26:39 PM

For me, Survival Geeks wore out its welcome a loooong time ago.  Not in the slightest interested in a bunch of forgettable paper-thin characters running around saying "Look at me! I'm acting zany!

I'm with you on that Cow and I was, until the last series when I had a 'getting old' moment.

2000AD needs to attract the younger end of the market and as I see it, Survival Geeks speaks more to the yooths in it's style and delivery, although there are references for the more mature among us.

I'm also mindful that 2000AD is a broad palette and my tastes in Stickleback (is that the end?), Absalom, Hope, Kingmaker, Indigo Prime etc might not be to the liking of others who dig on stuff like Brass Sun and Survival Geeks.

It's been two years since the last lot of SG and so maybe it's due a turn. Although I won't be reading it in depth, maybe it's freshness is better than the nonsense that ABC warriors has become for old readers, never mind new ones trying to figure that bobbins out...  :think:

Si

Richard

I have no problem with Survival Geeks, it's fun. But the highlight for me is Durham Red. No only is the art utterly brilliant, but I thought the story was a great introduction for a character who hasn't been in the prog for a few years. And I like the way it's written: it doesn't spell out exactly what has happened but instead let's the reader figure it out. [spoiler]Presumably the person who has just hired her told the barman who she was and got her fired on purpose so that she'd be available to work for him, but nobody ever says that in so many words.[/spoiler] Alec Worley assumes that we aren't thick. And that is a cracking cover by Jimmy Broxton!

I'm also intrigued by the new Dredd story and where it's going and how something that's 100 years old is still relevant to Dread's world today. I'm going to read the tie-in novel soon, so will be interesting to see more of this Judge Deacon.

Geoff

Anyone else notice the calendar in the Durham Red strip...!? In the office in the bar... Very amusing touch in what's looking like a very promising strip.

Dredd's looking interesting too as is Skip Tracer and I'm even enjoying Deadworld.

Survival Geeks on the other hand is just an embarrassment. Please keep its run short and don't bring it back.

Bolt-01

I like survival Geeks. Think the humour is a bit hit and miss at times- but I like the series overall. Keep it running Tharg!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 21 May, 2018, 09:08:15 AM
I like survival Geeks.

For me, Survival Geeks could coast quite a long way on the goodwill generated by the sight of a baby Cthulhu trying to mate with a Henry hoover, but I also enjoy it quite a lot...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

James Stacey

Survival geeks always feels slightly like its treating the references with contempt rather than celebrating them which seems to be the difference between that and something like Spaced. That and Spaced is genuinely funny with it. Not sure I could put a finger on why I get that feeling as there isn't anything specific. Meanwhile, the new Durham Red is a great (re)introduction. Looking forward to seeing how this is going to go after a strong set up. Skip Tracer does feel very generic so far but I'm happy to give it time to develop and find its feet. Good proggage all round, not bursting the old thrill buffers but giving them a workout at least.

IndigoPrime

Dredd's a solid start. Lynch's art feels a bit Cam Kennedy at times, and I do enjoy these trips into the past of Dredd's world. Skip Tracer seems solid so far. I don't need every strip to be a bastion of originality – I just want something I enjoy.

Survival Geeks to me mostly works well for pacing and variety purposes. It's never going to be my favourite strip (humour ones never are), but I'm happy to see it occasionally grace the prog for a couple of months. As ever, the art's fab, too, and baby Cthulhu is excellent (and clearly needs a spin-off strip).

Damned continues to be horribly gruesome (hurrah!), and would usually in this selection have been my pick. But Durham Red... Despite the team involved, I was still rather sceptical of this one. Red's previous outings have been somewhat variable, notably in terms of portrayal. But here we have a woman who looks like she could kick some serious arse, and with a script that cleverly brings us up to date without a slew of caption boxes.

So, yeah, top marks to the Worley and Willsher droids, but for me there was nothing bad it this prog.