Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Gutting news.  After his performance in B7, my enduring memory of him will always be as Sam Vimes in Guards Guards at Blackpool.  Standing on stage in a nightshirt, holding a toy dragon under one arm and wearing pink fluffy slippers, reciting those immortal words: "Do you feel lucky?"  Whoever approached him to play the part had an inspired moment!

Dandontdare

IAMTHESYSTEM

Damn, his Kerr Avon has to be one of the finest depictions of an Anti-heroes on TV. He was in Doctor Who as well plus lots of other programmes. He had to have both legs amputated after an illness yet still managed to appear on the Gameshow Pointless. A Rebel to the end. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Heath C Ackley

Childhood hero gone. Darrow and Jacqueline Pearce made B7 for me. I remember meeting him at a tv and film memorabilia fair years ago. I recall the gritted-teeth grin he gave as two fanboys stood there and just shouted lines from the show at him!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

paddykafka

Ah, no!  Really sorry to hear of Paul's passing. I was just recently watching the box set of B7 and he was without a doubt my favourite of all the characters. Sincere condolences to his friends and family. He will be greatly missed.  :'(

ZenArcade

Gutted to hear Paul Darrow has gone.  Avon was always my favorite (after Servelan/Sleer). Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

I grew so fixated on Avon that I remember being angry when Blake finally reappeared in the finale - this isn't your show, scarface - hoppit*! There was something great about someone so cynical, selfish and with such villainous overtones at the heart of a gang of supposed freedom fighters, and I feel I've looked in vain for that dynamic ever since.  None of that would have worked without Paul Darrow's perfectly judged performance, in lesser hands you'd ended up with Dr. Smith, Jayne or even Mr. Spock. Instead, we got one of the great creations of small-screen SF, and TV in general. RIP Paul.

*No disrespect to the late great Gareth Thomas.

The Legendary Shark

Well said, Tordels, he was the true star of the show and that Last Scene will live with me forever.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 June, 2019, 06:17:40 PM
None of that would have worked without Paul Darrow's perfectly judged performance, in lesser hands you'd ended up with Dr. Smith, Jayne or even Mr. Spock. Instead, we got one of the great creations of small-screen SF, and TV in general. RIP Paul.
Yeah, one of the reasons I never took to Firefly was because even the supposed bad apple was just a big puppy dog at heart, whereas Avon really was a complete bastard. I guess there must be shades of Dredd in why so many of us remember the character (and his ambiguous ending) so fondly. RIP

Over the weekend, we also lost Roky Erikson from out of from out of The Thirteenth Floor Elevators.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Oh Avon. A truly brilliant character and perfectly cast by Darrow. He'll be terribly missed.

Krakajac

I always thought that Paul Darrow would have made a great Sherlock Holmes - he had a similar intensity/quirkiness - much like Jeremy Brett.

The Legendary Shark

Kerr Holmes - now he would be a character!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Apestrife

Roky Erickson died on the 31th last month. Fantastic musician. Love his music with 13th floor elevator and solo songs dearly.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA6Yiiy14xY

Mattofthespurs

I know the majority of the posters on this site don't like football, and that's cool, but someone I used to watch a lot during the late 80's/early 90's just died.

Justin Edinburgh started his career at Southend before moving to Spurs where he won the FA Cup in 1991 and the League Cup in 1999 with Spurs. He then briefly moved to Portsmouth before going onto a career in management. Starting at the bottom.

He recently won promotion 6 weeks ago with Leyton Orient getting them back into the football league and a week ago was with us Spurs supporters in Madrid for the Champions League final.

On the way home he fell ill with a stroke and then 5 days later died from a cardiac arrest at the age of 49.

Most of this group is much older than 49 and a damn sight less fit than Justin was.

He epitomised healthy living which just shows it can hit any of us without warning.

He leaves behind a wife and 2 children.

Thanks for reading.

RIP Justin.

sheridan

Gene Wilder's death (from three years ago) is trending again (just to pre-empt anybody seeing it and not noticing the date).