Main Menu

Cliff Robinson

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 25 September, 2020, 09:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 28 September, 2020, 10:26:06 AM
I'm legally obliged to post this link  :D

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/2015/08/no-42-cliff-robinson.html
-and it's still the number 2 listing on Google when I type in 'Cliff Robinson 2000AD' which is ample proof the  man doesn't get the love he deserves!

His covers really are wonderful, although I think it's important to give a fair bit of credit to Dylan Teague, who has been colouring them for maybe a decade at this point - brings a lot to the already substantial textures. Absolutely agree that Robinson's design sense at this point outshines Bolland when it comes to Dredd.

His strips often contained some stunning panels; I love the way he draws water gushing down on people e.g. in the one Game Show (of Death) story.

Yes, I mentioned that (debut) Dredd story too, when I covered it.

JayzusB.Christ

My Grud, I'd forgotten how brilliantly awful that panel was.  No wonder I turned out the way I did.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dr Wasabi

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 September, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 September, 2020, 04:16:30 PM
As a matter of interest, is he actually Tharg's longest-serving active art droid?  Can't think of anyone who's been around longer.
John Higgins' debut prog was 108 (yes, that surprised me, too!).

Actually, if you include John's covers then his first 2000AD work was Prog 43!! - Now that's 'proper old school'.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dr Wasabi on 28 September, 2020, 04:00:22 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 September, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 September, 2020, 04:16:30 PM
As a matter of interest, is he actually Tharg's longest-serving active art droid?  Can't think of anyone who's been around longer.
John Higgins' debut prog was 108 (yes, that surprised me, too!).

Actually, if you include John's covers then his first 2000AD work was Prog 43!! - Now that's 'proper old school'.

:o

Why not, though, I suppose.  John and Pat are still writing.  The Stones are still touring.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"