Main Menu

2000AD art submission feedbacks

Started by Johnny2000, 14 March, 2018, 09:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny2000

Hi guys,

I have had a look over the forum, but couldn't find anything related to my question yet, so I am asking here:
For those of you who have sent art samples as a submission to 2000AD in the past, can you tell me about how long does take a reply, either negative or positive, please?
J

IAMTHESYSTEM

I think it can take up to three months or even over. They've got a slush pile to look through and it with all the busy days preparing the comic there's very little time to search through the samples. You might not even get a reply because they routinely bin the pile to save space in the workroom without looking through the art. Best bet to get seen is to take your portfolio of work to a Comic convention where 2000AD staff will look at your examples. The snail mail route is very arduous and if you clutter up their E-Mail intrays with samples of your work you're not going to be very popular. Conventions are the best route, and you will get some feedback critique of your work. I got Dave Gibbons no less at one Comic meeting in London long ago, and though he was cruel to be kind his advice was invaluable!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Pauul

The 2000AD art competition at Thought Bubble is a great opportunity, if you want the folks at 2000AD to look at your work (if you can make it to Leeds, that is). Of course, that isn't until later in the year, but that at least gives you time to prepare.

Before that, why not share some of your artwork on the forum? There really are some terrific artists on here, I'm sure they could give you some great feedback on what you're doing right, what you're doing wrong and how to make your artwork better.

mightybren

I've had some good feedback and advice on this forum. I highly recommend posting your work here. It's be great to see it :)

Try to find communities of artists on Facebook and other social networks or forums too. Reddit has a few threads dedicated to art. I got some very harsh criticism on Facebook once, but it enabled me to make rapid progression in the right direction.

I'm looking to get published in the small press before approaching 2000ad or any other real publishers. I reckon it's a good way to hone my craft, assuming the small press editors accept my work. I think there's more chance of getting feedback and responses from the small press than there is from 2000ad.

Hope that's useful and good luck!