Main Menu

Moffatt: Suggestions wanted for...

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 19 April, 2011, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Just to explain the telephones: I have always noticed since the Press Gang days how often telephones, answer machines and related have generated twists in Moffatt's writing (see also the answer machine 'dubbing' confusion in the 'Nine & a Half Minutes' episode of Coupling), almost a motif. It entertained me that in his very first Doctor Who episode the first thing he does is put a phone in the Police Box).

The now-viral RTD Bingo card (that's the card which is viral, not RTD) can be seen here: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3089/2396146506_2ec82c505b_o.jpg

Leigh S

little girl in peril.

Timey wimey knowing something because youve been told what you know

companion dying for a few weeks

Cthulouis

Thing is, look at how many of those RTD ones are really annoying/bad writing, then compare with the Moffat ones. I am quite happy to see plot twists happening, and anything non-intrusive is by its very nature non-intrusive. Also, prophesies tend to suck, so any other form of foreshadowing is quite welcome. On the other hand, inappropriate things are by their nature inappropriate, and get out plots are by their nature cop outs.

Or is this the very crux of the joke, and I'm simply too drunk to see that?

Adrian Bamforth

Yes, Steven Moffatt is my favourite television writer, always has been - it's meant to be gushing! A perfect Moffatt episode would probably tick all of those boxes.

I should probably make it clearer so it doesn't look ridiculously cynical.

Greg M.

Surely 'bananas' belongs on there somewhere...?

The Adventurer

"Closed Time Loops"

The Moffatt loves his closed time loops.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Emperor

Nightmares from our collective childhood - every other monster seems to be like the kind of things you'd worry about being under your bed or in the cupboard. Especially things like doll-faced murders, carnival overtones, ordinary objects taking on a frightening new life (statues anyone?), etc.

Child in peril

Who references - he seems to refer Who continuity more than RTD

See also:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StevenMoffat
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bat King

Dead things in masks.

Whether they are little boys wearing a gas mask or skeletons in space suits.  Robots in masks, statues that are an entire living mask in a way...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Gavin_Leahy_Block

The Doctor is fallible.

Terror in the ordinary - cracks, statues and shadow becoming more terrifying then any monster.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Emperor on 23 April, 2011, 01:34:05 AM
Nightmares from our collective childhood - every other monster seems to be like the kind of things you'd worry about being under your bed or in the cupboard.

Seriously. If there was a Moffatt bingo card it would just be this and nothing else. BUT THAT'S NOT HOW BINGO WORKS.