Main Menu

Qualifying 1: 9 - Kelvin Gosnell or Hilary Robinson - Ultimate not Wagner Tour..

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 May, 2020, 06:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well almost to the end of the first round and second to last is one of my favourite match ups from the draw. A writer who was there from the start and one the first, most significent female contributers to the Prog. So once again you decide whose writing has added most to our world:

Kelvin Gosnell - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=KELVING

or

Hilary Robinson - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=HILARYR

Whose 2000ad writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work) closes sometime Tuesday 19th May?

What the heck is all this about? https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46406.0

Final Qualifying 1 face off starts tomorrow...

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

These face-offs are all surprisingly tough!
I think in this case I'm using negativity - there are a few Robinson tales that did little to nothing for me, whereas Gosnell always managed to raise a sardonic smile at least.
And I'll echo broodblik - Gosnell (and Ezquerra's) Stainless Steel Rat tales are arguably the best ever book-to-comic adaptations.

So yeah, my vote goes to Gosnell

abelardsnazz

Kelvin Gosnell, as The Stainless Steel Rat is a classic and adapted well for the prog.

IndigoPrime

I tried several times, but could never get into Stainless Steel Rat. Gosnell's old-school style still largely holds up, though — and I did like The Terminal Man, which he did with Oliver Frey.

Still, I'm going for what will likely be the controversial vote. Robinson is another of those writers who seemed to have a torrid run with the Prog, and was the recipient of some unsympathetic editors and readers alike. Perhaps — again — the Prog wasn't interested in or ready for 'quieter' tales. And, yeah, Chronos Carnival is hardly a classic, and Survivor is largely superfluous (although arguably the equal to anything in that continuity — a low bar, admittedly).

But I at the time enjoyed the whimsy of Zippy Couriers, thought Maeve the Many-Armed should have had a full series (solid character; starts to erode Smurfette Syndrome in Strontium Dog — a problem it still suffers from, depressingly), and to this day reckon Medivac 318 is one of 2000 AD's lost classics.

So: Robinson.

Bolt-01

Greg M.

I was ready to go in all guns blazing for Team Robinson - until I was reminded of the extent of Gosnell's contributions. Writing large chunks of Flesh, and, by the look of it, co-creating the living axe, is nothing to be sniffed at. So I'm still voting Robinson, but much more cautiously. As much as anything, it's a matter of timing - her work was slap-bang in the middle of 'my' era of 2000AD, so Medivac 318, Zippy Couriers, Maeve the Many-Armed and Survivor all evoke fond memories. And yes, it's a total stereotype to suggest her gender meant she brought something different to 2000AD - but it's hard not to argue that it's true.

TordelBack

Nowt wrong with Kevin Gosnell, but for Medivac 318, Zippy Couriers, an excuse for more Bellardinelli panther art, Maeve the Many-Armed and Niall of the Nine Sausages, and for holding her own in the midst of epoch-shaking storylines for the big strips (Dredd, SD, Sláine), my vote is for Hilary Robinson.

Richard

Sorry, but I was underwhelmed by Robinson. I vote for Gosnell for Flesh, the Rat, the Aggro Dome and Devil's Island.

rogue69

Kevin Gosnell's work had  a big influence of the style of early 2000AD in my view

Colin YNWA

Quote from: rogue69 on 12 May, 2020, 04:32:37 PM
Kevin Gosnell's work had  a big influence of the style of early 2000AD in my view

Just so I get my count right does this count as a vote for Kelvin Gosnell?

Funt Solo

This is a really tricksy decision, my precious.

Gosnell did a lot of great foundation work and I really loved The Stainless Steel Rat adaptations.

But my vote goes for Hilary Robinson - for her work on Medivac 318. That series has soul.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

Colin YNWA

This one's been quiet so if you still want to vote there's not many come in so far. Last chance, ends in the morning.