Main Menu

Comics International R.I.P.?

Started by wrly_bird, 25 January, 2007, 01:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

Does anybody know what's happened to trade mag COMICS INTERNATIONAL? Is it true Dez Skinn has sold it on?

ukdane

It was sold to (IIRC) Mike Conroy
and has been running late since issue 201.
Cheers

-Daney

paulvonscott

Sold on, Mike Conroy is the new editor and a new issues should be out in February (I believe).

House of Usher

The next issue, due early February, will be #201.

I'll be interested to see what the new owner and publisher does with it.
STRIKE !!!

WoD

House of Usher

STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

You're not going o be drawn on this, are you Ush..?

WoD

His silence speaks volumes...I don't know the score here, but the reviews section was my favourite part of CI...long before I realised DK was USH.

COMMANDO FORCES

Jesus Christ the schedule for this drives me bloody mad.
When I go into my local comic shop and ask it's never there.
I only hope the new owner is better at getting the thing out on time.
I always liked seeing an advert for an event that was two weeks ago.

Leigh S

If Ushers reviews are gone, thats 90% of the 2000AD coverage gone!

Seriously, I hope Mike Conroy does well with this, and I also hope the new CI has a slightly more Thargcentric outlook.  That said, the problem might be at Thargs end - that is, not supplying CI with much in the way of publicity.

Bico

I assumed that Rebellion cut ties with Comics International after being publicly bad-mouthed by the supposedly impartial journalist who edits/edited CI at last year's Eagle Awards.  On one hand, it's probably not a sensible approach to cut off free advertising for your book - on the other hand, it's not like there was ever a great deal of 2000ad-related coverage to begin with (which I always thought was odd for a British-based comics journal), and if it's impartiality is in question you're probably better off not financially supporting your critics.

From a business standpoint, the sensible thing to do, now that CI's editorship resides with someone who (as far as I know, at any rate) doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, would be for Rebellion and CI to mend bridges, but it's not really up to me.  

ukdane

I assumed that Rebellion cut ties with Comics International after being publicly bad-mouthed by the supposedly impartial journalist who edits/edited CI at last year's Eagle Awards.
Well, Dez doesn't do CI anymore, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Is Tharg responsible for the info that CI are sent- surely that should be the Marketing droid's job.
Cheers

-Daney

W. R. Logan

CI rarely contacted the nerve centre and instead of asking for publicity pics at times scanned or took low res pics of the net. The relationshoip if there ever was one wasnt great before the great im pissed so it doesnt count night at the awards ceremony.

starscape

Yeah but they are using it to promote comics, including 2000AD.  Perhaps both can send each other a nice card and start again?

paulvonscott

"I assumed that Rebellion cut ties with Comics International"

I assume there weren't many ties to cut and while I'm assuming, I'm assuming Rebellion rarely did bugger all about promotion anyway.  Like all the cocmpanies that have owned 2000AD, they spend money on some exciting and interesting and expensive ideas that don't get many new readers then go back to forgotting about promotion on the whole.

Plus I think people really need to get over this 'Dez is an enemy of 2000AD thing', his ridiculous doomongering has come not to pass and I have heard of no actual damage done to the comic, while the same cannot be true of Dez's reputuation (whatever you may think of it) or it seems, his future at the head of CI.  

Frankly I've heard much MUCH worse from droids.