Main Menu

2000AD podcast

Started by wrly_bird, 29 April, 2009, 07:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrly_bird

EVERYTHING COMES BACK TO 2000AD

'The 2000ad Podcast to beat all 2000ad podcasts...simply because...there aren't any!'

Join host Flint Lockjaw and the first of rotating co-hosts, Richard McAuliffe (Bluemeanie) on a trip down memory lane as they discuss the first two issues of 2000ad. Then fast forward 30 years later as they review one of the most current Progs! Prog 1631!//http://geeksyndicate.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=468472

Am trying (unsuccessfully) to get this on my iPod. Has anyone heard of this. Am I late to the party, as usual...

stacey

It's the first episode, I listened to it earlier today and really enjoyed it.  If you subscribe to the Geek Syndicate podcast then it will come through on that feed anyway, or it should.  

this is the direct link Bluemeanie put on the SFX forum -

http://cdn2.libsyn.com/geeksyndicate/EC ... 12f33de965

JOE SOAP

Ditch the Dredd movie music and it could be brilliant. Very funny too.

dweezil2

A bit harsh. I thought Jerry Goldsmith's score for the Dredd trailer was great. Wish he had scored the whole movie. Though Alan Silvestri's score was none too shabby.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

worldshown

Richard McAuliffe! That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. There can't be two of them in South Wales, surely.

As a naive 18 year old who'd just left school, I went to work as an estimator in an aluminium window company. Richard had joined the company six months before I started and was responsible for training me.

He ripped the piss out of me every day I was there (in fairness, I almost definitely deserved it).

At the time he was a scruffy, long-haired Batman obsessive with a razor sharp wit. I'm not surprised to find he's working in comics now.

He is also living proof that drinking cider with a low alcohol tolerance can save your life.

bluemeanie

Crap... Mr Goldsworthy

Yeah, still scruffy, still long hair (well for a 38 year old anyway... see my avatar) and now have the bat symbol as a tattoo
No cider any more though. Had one of those near death things where the doctor said "Cider will kill you" so moved to lager.

Oh, and glad people seem to have enjoyed the first one. Flint knows his stuff.... I was just there to be the dumb sounding board

Leigh S

Very cool

lots of fun.  A very interesting take on the new Dredd from Blue Meanie - Hadnt thought of the Obama thing, and as pointed ouit, Dan seems more about teh politics of celebrity (or the celebrity of politics) rather than Obama. Just a point, Blue Meanie, that wasnt picked up - the vote is only for senior Judges to partke in, not the citizens.

stacey

Quote from: "Leigh Shepherd"Very cool

lots of fun.  A very interesting take on the new Dredd from Blue Meanie - Hadnt thought of the Obama thing, and as pointed ouit, Dan seems more about teh politics of celebrity (or the celebrity of politics) rather than Obama. Just a point, Blue Meanie, that wasnt picked up - the vote is only for senior Judges to partke in, not the citizens.

I pointed that out too  :D

worldshown

Quote from: "bluemeanie"Crap... Mr Goldsworthy

Hi Rich.

Glad I said nothing libelous now.

bluemeanie

Quote from: "stacey"

I pointed that out too  ;)

stacey

heheheheh - is that what is was?  According to King Trout, I am actually a trucker named Bob... I don't know how he found out

Marbles

Looking forward to hearing this. I listen to a lot of comic related podcasts, hope this is of a similar quality. The only really UK comic related one other than this is Alex Fitch's podcast. (there are plenty of UK podcasts about US comics sadly).

It would be nice to have a few interviews, starting with Matt Smith & BISH-OP mebbe.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

bluemeanie

Best UK podcast is Comic Racks
http://comicracks.libsyn.com/

and I in no way say this because Im married to the hot one

JOE SOAP

Hadnt thought of the Obama thing, and as pointed ouit, Dan seems more about teh politics of celebrity (or the celebrity of politics) rather than Obama.

I actually believe it's the opposite. Obama is all about celebrity and little if any substance since all of his basic policies are continuing ones set down by Bush & co., permanent war, rendition, bailouts to bankers and the monied classes all covered in patriotic nonsense while reading the teleprompter, and then there's the frequent Jay Leno et al. appearances. Of all the presidents in recent memory he's the most celeb like.

In fact he's follows the typical pattern of celebrity, no one had ever heard of him, he rose from obscurity to the top office in the land on a vacuous campaign of vague ideals and slogans -Bob the Builder's "can we fix it, yes we can"- and will probably fizzle out quickly. So Dan Francisco is right on the nose, more so than usual.

Leigh S

Yeah, sorry - wasnt saying there wasnt a touch of the Celeb about Obama, just that the use of Dan Fransisco seemed to be inspired by the way politicians are now Media friendly, or they're dead.  It struck me as Hershey as a Gordon Brown type politician with none of the media charm required to win over hearts and minds, against a Cameron type media friendly everything to everyman.  It's more than possible that Francisco is more inspired by Obama , but more from the "media friendly" angle than anyhting - the fact he's drawn in a way here that does resemble Obama to a degree completely passed me by!