Main Menu

Gosh!

Started by 2000AD Online, 22 March, 2002, 01:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

If the new Rogue scripts are as good as the art I might be tempted to start buying 2000 AD again. Big Colin Wilson influence which is no bad thing.

I don't have a problem with untold stories. Gerry Finley-Day certainly left hanging a few loose threads with the Norts attempts at creating their own GIs as revealed by Colonel Covert.

Let's just hope they have Rogue using the right equipment unlike in the otherwise brilliant 'Cinnabar'.

As for killing off Dredd, whyever not? Of the many things that makes Dredd more interesting than characters such as Superman is his mortality, the fact he is ageing, the fact he isn't invulnerable.

Thread Zero

Ah but Superman never died. He came back!

It was just a gimmick by DC to increase sales.

scojo

GordonR

I certainly hope the new Rogue series won't be picking up on any corny old GFD plot threads, such as they were.  Anyone remember when GFD gave Gunnar telekinetic powers so he could just fly into Rogue's hand on command?  Oh lordy...

And having characters with names like Colonel Covert and well...silly.  The convenience of the names of Gunnar, Helm etc is bad enough, but then along came crap like Major Magnum ('cos he's, like, a big handgun, geddit?).

Which reminds me: anyone seen Paul Holden's Rogue Trooper skit about those very convienient biochip names?  'GI Buttplug: The Adventures of Rogue's Secret Fourth Biochip Buddy'

Wake

That's the original Rogue Trooper art page by Cam Kennedy I have behind me!

A Nort wearing what looks like a Roman helmet starts counting. Rogue shouts "To me Gunnar!" and Gunnar flys through the air into Rogue's hands.

"Gave that Nort a shock when I used my telekinetic power huh, Rogue"

I think I assumed at the time that Gunnar has made a sudden movement, like extended his shoulder stock or something rather than actual telekinesis.

I'm not even sure what prog it's from.

Wake

nathan

'I think I assumed at the time that Gunnar has made a sudden movement, like extended his shoulder stock or something rather than actual telekinesis. '

So even as a child you came up with a more credible rationalisation than poor old GF-D !

N

O Lucky Stevie!

what really gave me the pip as a kid was rogue personally triumphing in every major campaign in western military history (albeit each was ammended by the suffix, "the battle of nu...").

even then it struck me as a distinct lack of imagination (on either gerry's or the original nu earth settlers'part) after the fourth repetition or soof this narrative device.

>I mean, can you honestly say you understood Pussy Foot 5?

yep, sure did, & i'm immensely looking forward to the next series after the ominous aura of foreboding permeating the final page of the last one.

also, that shape-changing gun john invented in the last series of pussyfoot has to mark the first time i've gone "wow!" about a gun since first encountering a certain lawgiver futuregraph by ian gibson as a small boy.

ich habe meinen schl?pfer n?sst!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

GordonR

Nope, it was definitely telekeneis.  Gunnar got blown up - Rogue was using a different gun for a few stories after that - and then came back.  He had been regened, and was the new improved Genetic Infantryman model, complete with telekinetic powers.  (You were kind of left wondering why Millcom hadn't made just made more GIs like him if it was this simple, but story logic was never GFD's strong point).

Anyway, the new Gunnar died again and ended up as a biochip in Rogue's rifle once more, although the telekinetic powers also went with him into the rifle.  No, I don't really understand it either...

You must have blotted this whole sorry tale out of your thrill-circuit memory banks, Wake.  Oh how I envy you  ;)

Thread Zero

Coming soon....

Rogue Trooper, The Complete History by Milo!:)

scojo

Rambo

See, exactly that sort of cheesiness, the corny names, the unoriginality of it all that makes me wonder why I liked it so much when I was younger.

And when you're revamping a series (yet again!) I don't see where originality can really come into it...

I liked a lot of GFD's stuff - Harry Twenty on the High Rock was a classic, for instance, but things like that make me cringe. Like, for instance, bringing the old Rogue back into the new series, or that last "f*ck continuity" outing that so besmirched Chopper's name and smeared his memory.

Or what would have happened if they'd brought Johnny Alpha back from the dead.

How exactly Durham Red turned into that neo-sci-fi-gothic-vapire... thing, via that direction-losing "Strontium Dogs" strory, I have no real idea, though I watched it happen...

I don't want to judge it before seeing it, I just worry they're going to break all records for tasteless, mindless, re-use of a character, eternally damaging their reputation.

But what do I know, eh? I've only been reading the damn comic for the last umpteen years, so I doubt my opinion means much! :)

Thread Zero

I have it on good authority, Gordon's Rogue Trooper tales are a classic.

If you doubt me, check out the title for one of the stories:
Rogue Trooper, Hippy Norts Make Peace And Groovy Karma.

Sounds pretty rad to me, man!

scojo more chilled than a fridge/freezer at the north pole

Rambo

Storming Heaven was probably written during an acid trip - that was a complete waste of space. Or am I in a minority again?

nathan

Don't know if you're in a minority, but I at least disagree with you. There's no reason
why a story with drugs in it must have been written by a drug-user. Is Strontium Dog written by a mutant bounty hunter? Are Future Shock scripts delivered by time-machine? Writers are able to _make up_ stuff.

N

Thread Zero

Gordon Rennie is a drug user.

I can prove it.

After all he takes Rennie indigestion tablets and they're a drug of a sort, aren't they?

HA ha ha.

I think I may have milked that Rennie tablets joke a bit too much, papa scojo.

Hmmmm....could be scojo. It was ok the first time but you keep pushing it man.

papa scojo and smurf scojo junior

Rambo

I couldn't care if he is or he isn't. I just like things to have a bit of a point and make at least a modicum of sense. I was joking - but I still didn't like the strip!

nathan

No, really they weren't OK first time! I'm sure there's as much, if not more, mileage to be had from 'Nestel' than 'Rennie'. It just seems a bit pointless and unfunny.

Nathan of the unmockable surname.