Main Menu

Gosh!

Started by 2000AD Online, 22 March, 2002, 01:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Nathan,
You're welcome to try mocking my name. But any reference to a chocolate company is a tad unoriginal.

Still if Rambo thinks Ren is a drug user, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

Good for ya Rambo!

scojo wondering if most people here take themselves and 2k far too seriously

O Lucky Stevie!

>I don't want to judge it before seeing it, I just worry they're going to break all records for tasteless, mindless, re-use of a character, eternally damaging their reputation.

despite my criticisms of gerry finley-day's rogue trooper earlier in this thread, i must point out that i thoroughly enjoyed the strip when it first began, but unfortunately i soon felt that the traitor general storyline was meandering with too much uninspired filler before being eventually resolved, & then poor gerry just didn't know what to do with his & dave gibbons' creation. this isn't to besmirch the actual rogue trooper concept, i think that perhaps gerry's own limitations as a writer didn't allow him to match the full potential of the material outside of the traitor general storyline.

neither of the alan moore/jesus redondo annual story or john smith's inspired cinnabar nu earth flashback were directly connected with rogue's quest for the traitor general yet are still absolutely cracking reads, so I haven't forsaken hope on gordon rennie's take yet.

ich habe meinen schl?pfer n?sst!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

2000AD Online

I pretty much agree. The stories were formulaic and the characters little more than cyphers, yet enjoy 'em I did.

Perhaps we're being a little unfair to Gerry. He was, along with others such as Tom Tully and Alan Hebden, part of the old school that, for all its faults, played its part in launching 2000 AD.

W. R. Logan

>And having characters with names like Colonel Covert and well...silly.  The convenience of the names of Gunnar, Helm etc is bad enough, but then along came crap like Major Magnum ('cos he's, like, a big handgun, geddit?).

Wonder what names the supporting cast in the new Rogue Trooper will have? 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

W. R. Logan

>So even as a child you came up with a more credible rationalisation than poor old GF-D !

Met GF-D at the 2000AD party and the words 'credible rationalisation' don't spring to mind. John Wagner & me mentioned to him about his typing error becoming part of Tharg's vocabulary (Scrotnig) and he hadn't a clue and was most dismayed to think that he was a bad typer 8-)

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

The Amstor Computer

>>>Perhaps we're being a little unfair to Gerry. He was, along with others such as Tom Tully and Alan Hebden, part of the old school that, for all its faults, played its part in launching 2000 AD<<<

IMO, many of the old guard were damn good craftsmen - they knew how to put together an entertaining story with fairly basic elements. Those who could reached beyond this when they got the opportunity (Pat Mills, John Wagner...) and married their basic craft to a more inspired way of telling stories. Writers like GFD didn't have that spark, but they still wrote entertaining, competent tales.

To be honest, it's this basic understanding of the medium & how to tell a simple, entertaining story that's missing from a lot of strips nowadays. There's more freedom to try new styles & experiment, but without the basic tools that the older writers had to master, this creativity tends to misfire at the expense of the story.

The Amstor Computer

General Gunn? Lieutenant Layzer? :-D

Rambo

At least Gunn is a real name... :)

It's corny, but not ridiculous. I mean, Judge Dredd? Dr. Peyne? He's in good company! :)

I wasn't trying to slag of GFD - more the usual style back then.

What I am worrying about is that Gordon Rennie's stuff is either brilliant or bollox, with about a 60/40 split, it seems to me.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Leigh S

Gordon Rennie is usually better at interpreting other peoples stuff rather than  coming up with originals IMO.  Satanus was great, while Rain Dogs wasnt.  

I'm actually really looking forward to the new Rogue, despite not holding the original runn particularly highly.  There have been hints we'll be seeing a different angle on the character - rather than the very human Rogue and the softie Friday, we may finally see the hard bastard soulless killing machine that Rogue was born to be....hopefully.

Thread Zero

Please tell me watcher, where it was written that Rogue was a hard bastard, souless killing machine?

Seeeing as GFD created the character and wrote the original and second series, I think his interpretation of the character (a GI with human traits) is closer than your so called souless version.

Honestly, some people here rewrite history to justify their argument.

scojo

Thread Zero

If Rogue were 'souless', he wouldn't feel any anger about his fellow infantrymen dying at the Quartz Massacre, would he?

Becuse he did have a soul, he was driven with the need to avenge their deaths. This was the whole point of the story.

DOH!

So frankly like everyone here, you are posting absolute bullshit.

scojo in the mood for a fight
Kiss kiss

The Amstor Computer

>>>So frankly like everyone here, you are posting absolute bullshit<<<

Charming :-O

Apart from his drive for vengeance though, Rogue was never particularly human, was he? Arguably, in some ways he was even less human than Dredd.

I doubt he was ever intended to turn into the angst-ridden muppet we've been lumbered with recently.

Thread Zero

There's nothing like a little abuse first thing on a Sunday, is there!

Oh how I wish we could all shout and swear at each other like the old days.

Sob how I miss them.

As for Rogue, man I couldn't give a flying fuck what happens to the fucking tosspotter who should have been put down after the first fucking episode, miserable wankshitter tht he was.

Dan Abnett

Thread Zero

Dan Abnett, you are a disgrace to your profession.

If you really wanna swear, go read a few issues of Preacher.

scojo

GordonR

I'm in total agreement with scojo here.

Rogue isn't a 'souless killing machine'.  That may be what the scientists who created him intended him - an unillable escapee from a Mark Millar story - to be but that isn't what he is.  He cares about his comrades and he cares about avenging their deaths.

Of course, quite how he could have developed any emotional responses when he was grown in a lab and the only living things he's ever known are the faceless gene genie scientists and other living weapon GIs is another question entirely.  Maybe its the fact that he does somehow possess emotions which really makes him the Rogue Trooper; something that has turned out other than its creators intended.

Mind you, I don't think he should be done in the touchy-feely Tor Cyan way either.