Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Just finished reading Blood of emeralds. Really liked it! The chapter with [spoiler]the death of Dredd[/spoiler] was handled really well I think. Especially when put after Wagner's Terror rising. The set up with further reform (Beeny's designs on council of five) as well as Barbara's dealings with Tex cit gave it an interesting feel, even if I knew things would continue.

The inclusion of both Joyce, Armitage and Coburn worked really well too I think, even if I'm fairly new to their characters. I only think the reclamation chapter relied a bit too much on my prior knowledge of what makes some of the characters great.

What I liked the most was that the story had an impact on the mc1 cits. Interesting to see such thing after Day of chaos. Some interesting points made [spoiler]for example people perhaps being too starved to resist the judges[/spoiler]. After the city was razed in DoC, this is probably the story for me which made the most of the new playfield.

Apestrife

thinking about it today i realise how every empire falls -to me- feels different than most "mc1 coups".

i think its much thanks to alot thanks to it giving things a bit of civ perspective rather than just the usual Dredd vs someone opposing the status quo (which also can be good fun)

wouldnt mind more epics having more of that :)

abelardsnazz

I quite enjoyed Wogue Wobots, glad Robot Wars has made it into the collection, although I'm not sure the Walter solo stories were an essential inclusion. I think Giant was my favourite story in this book.

Jade Falcon

The solo Walter stories were particularly weak, but agreed on the Giant story.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Having read those Walter stories again, they were a bit of a trudge. I'd have been happy with a couple as a taster rather than all of the things, but there you go. Great to see the Geoff Senior Dredd get an airing though – one of my favourite artists, and someone who I really wish had done more 2000 AD. (Imagine his kinetic artwork on ABC Warriors.)

Two more books just arrived today as well.

86/vol. 82: Day of Chaos Aftermath: Debris; Innocent; Payback; Asleep; Sealed; Save Him; Wolves; Cypher; Suicide The Forsaken; Skulls; Bender; Ferals; six covers; "The Ripple Effect" text feature.

87/vol. 90: Lawless: Welcome to Badrock; Between Badrock & A Hard Place; Of Munce and Men; Long Range War; four covers; DPS sketchbook; "Way Out West" single-page text feature.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 April, 2018, 09:06:16 AM
87/vol. 90: Lawless: Welcome to Badrock; Between Badrock & A Hard Place; Of Munce and Men; Long Range War; four covers; DPS sketchbook; "Way Out West" single-page text feature.

Might have to grab that one...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tomwe

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 April, 2018, 09:51:33 AM

Might have to grab that one...!
As a non-Meg reader I was really keen for this strip to be part of the collection, and with only the most recent story excluded too! Come on postie!

Davgardo

Hmmmm. So we've now got Debris twice (see Heavy Mob)????? Someone taking their eye of the ball?

IndigoPrime

Steve Green

Presumably the extension wasn't a cert at the time it was decided to include it in the Heavy Mob, and it would have been strange to omit it for the Aftermath stories.

Maybe just the least worst option in a collection that size.

Tomwe

Well there's no need to ever pick up what is probably the worst book in the collection again!

Tjm86

See, if they'd listened and included an index volume this would have never happened.

Some folks just never listen, do they?

<sigh>

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tomwe on 23 April, 2018, 01:18:20 PM
Well there's no need to ever pick up what is probably the worst book in the collection again!
I will happily admit that thought crossed my mind, too.

As for an index, I wonder whether we could POD one, although I imagine it'd be quite the sod to produce.

Apestrife

Haven't read "Long Range War". Ok as an "ending"? Or will the book feel abrupt, or like ending on too much of a cliffhanger? I'm just curious.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 April, 2018, 02:31:52 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 23 April, 2018, 01:18:20 PM
I will happily admit that thought crossed my mind, too.

As for an index, I wonder whether we could POD one, although I imagine it'd be quite the sod to produce.

I've compiled an index of all the issues to date, I'll put it on here when the collection's complete.