Main Menu

3rd place play off - Ian Edginton or Alan Moore - UNWT

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 June, 2020, 06:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leethomson

Quote from: BPP on 01 July, 2020, 04:08:15 PMThe irony of people mentioning Ian leaving stories unfinished when we never got book IV of YOU KNOW WHAT.....
Or issue three of WHAT SIZED DIGITS?...

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED - Please feel free to comment and discuss but votes won't count.

Well I can not tell you the drama there has been in Base Camp YNWA this morning - but that's for another thread. Here its been pretty straightforward. Though much, much deserved love has been shown to Ian Edginton (and I'll say this now he'd have got my vote) for his astonishing world building and long form epics there has been little doubt that this vote was going to go to a wizard whose work burnt strong and bright for Tharg before quickly (relatively) burning out in a Swamp (a wonderful Swamp I will add). And yes the third place play off goes to

ALAN MOORE

JayzusB.Christ

Well, it was a tough one for Ian there being pitted against possibly the best comic writer there ever was; but a very close-run popularity contest against a one-man funnybook Renaissance is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

I've not voted so I could be a tie breaker and a few bits and bats aside I've avoided saying who I prefer, but since this is all over I feel I can now.

I'd have gone for Ian here. I adore Alan's work, but its not perfect... well both Skizz and Halo Jones are close, but I'm no massive fan of DR and Quinch. There's no denying Alan Moore shone brightly but burnt out quickly.

Ian Edginton's work is an absolute staple of the comic these days, yet describing it this way makes it sound workman like, solid but its far from it. At its best his work is amongst the best. Brass Sun being a prime example but there's so many more, Leviathon, Stone Island, Kingmaker, Stickleback and of course the epic (in ever way) Red Seas. And for me this is about favourites and the amount of pleasure is  a big part of that and therefore I can't ignore the volume of Ian's work and while he might not have produced something quite as good as Halo Jones or Skizz he has produced so much that isn't that far off and has brought me so much pleasure and so

Ian Edginton for the win...

oh!