Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Was it true he was the orignator of the two finger salute. THe devils sign?

CrazyFoxMachine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8687002.stm there's a kind of involved article about it here - \m/

Noisybast

This is what Ronnie had to say on that subject:

"The sign was protection against the evil eye. My grandmother used to do it. I can also give evil with it, the sign of the devil. The horns. People say 'So you invented that?' It was probably some guy 50,000 years ago called Og. It was a superstitious sign to ward of evil and give evil back. Because I used it so much it became synonymous with it. A symbol that has become so prevalent."

So no, not really, but he did popularise it in rock/metal circles.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Peter Wolf

The BBC article fails to mention the Satanic aspect.It features GWBush but loads of other US politicians do the same thing and they are not all fans of the Texas Longhorns.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

James Stacey

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 05:13:54 PM
The BBC article fails to mention the Satanic aspect.It features GWBush but loads of other US politicians do the same thing and they are not all fans of the Texas Longhorns.

No it doesn't
Quote from: BBC
It has been misinterpreted as a sign of allegiance to the devil, because the shape of the fingers have been associated with 666, the number of the beast, says Young.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: James S on 18 May, 2010, 05:16:23 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 05:13:54 PM

No it doesn't
Quote from: BBC
It has been misinterpreted as a sign of allegiance to the devil, because the shape of the fingers have been associated with 666, the number of the beast, says Young.

Thats what happens when i speed-read.I read it so fast i didnt actually read it  :lol:

However i disagree that it has been misrepresented.

johnnystress

Roger "Dark Lord" Whittaker

Banners

Roger Whittaker's dead...?!?

M@

johnnystress

no! just responding to the devil horns stuff

I hope he has a good few years left in him

to clarify

ROGER WHITTAKER LIVES

johnnystress

unless he's died in the time it took me to type that

Banners

Phew(!) I can rest easy now ;-)

M@

Leigh S

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 18 May, 2010, 03:32:47 PM
Such a shame, not that I knew most of his music, but I knew this one very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv8F8reGa80

And that is why you are Mayor!

Havent seen this since I was tiny - never even knew that was RJD.  Cheers Thryllseeker!

M.I.K.

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 05:28:45 PM

Then you are wrong.

It was adopted by Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan, in the late 1960s but that's as far as the association goes back. It was always used as protection against the evil eye or a means of reflecting evil back towards someone prior to then, although it was also used in routines by some stage conjurors in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

That linked-to article mentions the sign being referred to in Dracula, but there's also a reference to it being used to ward off the evil eye near the start of The Phantom of The Opera. I remember reading it years ago and didn't get much further than that bit before realising that it wasn't so much a horror story as a rather boring gothic romance novel.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 May, 2010, 08:25:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 05:28:45 PM

Then you are wrong.

It was adopted by Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan, in the late 1960s but that's as far as the association goes back. It was always used as protection against the evil eye or a means of reflecting evil back towards someone prior to then, although it was also used in routines by some stage conjurors in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

That linked-to article mentions the sign being referred to in Dracula, but there's also a reference to it being used to ward off the evil eye near the start of The Phantom of The Opera. I remember reading it years ago and didn't get much further than that bit before realising that it wasn't so much a horror story as a rather boring gothic romance novel.

How can i be wrong when you are confirming what i was saying that it is also Satanic ?

There are two variants of it within the context of Satanism :

1: The Horned God [Baphomet] - Thumb under the two fingers and the right hand is used

2: The Horned Hand : Thumb over the fingers and the left hand is used.Used for recognition of occult membership and it is meant to place a curse if pointed at someone.That doesnt mean that a curse is placed on someone if it is used.

So therefore the writer of that article was wrong to claim it has been misrepresented  and not myself.It could be misread but not misrepresented.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 08:57:31 PM

How can i be wrong when you are confirming what i was saying that it is also Satanic ?

It's only considered Satanic because some theatrical prat in the 1960s nicked it and used it a few times after founding a previously non-existent 'church'. It had no links to the actual worship of The Devil or Satan previous to that and therefore has most definitely been misrepresented, not least by the aforementioned Anton LaVey himself.

The original meaning behind it has been twisted into something else and if that's not misrepresenting something, I don't know what is.