Main Menu

Star Wars- The Old Republic trailer

Started by Zarjazzer, 07 June, 2011, 06:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Richmond Clements

The trailer is very much a greatest hits- but what hits! Looks good to me.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've never played an MMO but this is tempting. Loved the KOTOR games.
Lock up your spoons!

chris_askham

Doubt very much that I'll be playing it, but that's certainly a bloody good intro.

TordelBack

The trailers have little or nothing to do with the gameplay that I've seen so far.  This is definitely quality animation, and I suppose the "All Star Wars All At Once" setting is quite a clever middle ground, but the whole project still leaves me cold - I don't see any of the difference or originality that KotOR brought to Star Wars. 

Mardroid

I think they're smashing animations. Just one thing, really. Considering this is set 3000 years before the events of the current films most of the ship and machine designs are the same!

The Sith Empire's big ships are pretty much the same as the Republic/Imperial Star Destroyers. The Sith had black droidekas too! (At least they're very similar.) There's guys in white armour with helmets reminiscent of the Clone troopers and Storm troopers (actually somewhere between the two.) And the transport ship in the Sith invastion of Coruscant in the third animation looks the same design as we see in the prequel films too.

It was very cool to see all those Sith fighters in the last animation though. Something like Maul's Infiltrator, but not quite the same. If I wanted to be pedantic, again the wing configuration is pretty much that of a sienars systems ship, 3000 years later, but maybe those haven't changed that much.

It all really does look amazing though. And the female Mandalorian was great!

JOE SOAP

The fight choreography -and the direction, story- in this is better than the prequels and yes why has the aesthetics and technology not changed in a few millenia?

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 07 June, 2011, 11:53:26 PM

The Sith Empire's big ships are pretty much the same as the Republic/Imperial Star Destroyers. The Sith had black droidekas too! (At least they're very similar.) There's guys in white armour with helmets reminiscent of the Clone troopers and Storm troopers (actually somewhere between the two.) And the transport ship in the Sith invastion of Coruscant in the third animation looks the same design as we see in the prequel films too.

I think this is the whole point of the game - the very contrived setting contains familiar elements from all the main three Star Wars settings - Knights of the Old Republic, the Prequels and the OT (here's some Legacy in there too).  It allows you to fly Falconalikes and fight TIEalikes, play Clone Troopers, multiple Sith and Jedi, fight the Empire, defend the Republic etc.  Personally it irritates the crap out of me that the Jedi Temple looks just like it does in the Prequels, Republic armour is Clone armour, the Sith have Star Destroyers... it's just totally lacking  in originality, in a way KotOR was not.   However, from a MMO perspective it allows people to play with ALL their favourite elements, and that is the audience.

I, Cosh

They even have Han Solo's dad wearing Indiana Jones' hat.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

THX and Howard the Duck make appearances.

TordelBack

Here's a composite version of all three trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m8uxkg9PfAQ.  In aggregate, it is very impressive work.  But again, it has pretty much nothing to do with gameplay, or even the in-game cutscenes (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlOcEZLpN0 or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CTmGpA0Eo) - it comes across as basically a new mini-movie that the game itself is based on.  Even stripped of cluttered menus and online trash-talk, the actual footage is pretty same-old (although I do like the giant golden Hutt statue).

Definitely Not Mister Pops

They should just forget about the game and make a bunch of Star Wars shorts, like Tartakovsky did with those Clone Wars Cartoons
You may quote me on that.

Zarjazzer

It's the game play and monthly price tag/subs that concern me. i read a review in one of the PC magazines of what I presume is a beta test-they gave it an okay but the Bounty Hunters have a huge advantage in that they can fly and have long range weaponry that even force users can't handle very well. And if you want to be a smuggler might as well paint a big target on yourself.

I think it will need alot of tweaking.

I loved those Tartakovsky cartoons!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tiplodocus

NOt sure about the game but the three trailers (Intro, Temple and Forest) are gobsmackingly good.  I know it's STar Wars and we are familiar with the universe  but there is also some economic storytelling in them.

The action is fast and furious but you can still actually see what is going on. Some proper film directors could learn a trick or two.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Michaelvk

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 June, 2011, 12:44:24 AM

The action is fast and furious but you can still actually see what is going on. Some proper film directors could learn a trick or two.

Like that Lucas fellow..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..