Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Those comments must really have been something if the people who published an article that describes corrective rape as "propaganda" thought they went too far.  I liked the way the article presents facts, too "there weren't that many people killed for being gay" being a favorite, alongside "he was only fined for being gay".  I also like how the writer describes wanting to murder gay people as being little more than a lack of common sense.

Tiplodocus

In other news...

I made it to the end of SMALLVILLE.

I made it to the end of SMALLVILLE.

All TEN Seasons.  It didn't end quite the way I wanted it to (or how most sensible people would have written it) but we still got to see just enough of Tom Welling in the suit (and nice happy endings shown for most characters) to leave me with a big grin on my face. And it was great to see Aaron Ashmore - just about the best thing in Season 8 (and Season 7?) back briefly.

I'd be interested to know if there was some legal reason we didn't get a proper full length body shot of Tom in the suit? Or was it just that they couldn't go to the expense of designing a new Supes suit and/or couldn't face the internet frothing that would follow?

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Vundabar K Werewolf on 21 October, 2013, 10:51:50 PM
Those comments must really have been something if the people who published an article that describes corrective rape as "propaganda" thought they went too far.

I think its quite the reverse. Many where anti-homophobic comments, which where then undercut (and subsequently deleted) by this "journalist".

HdE

I'm one episode from finishing season 2 of Breaking Bad, and I've been pleasantly surprised by this show.

Having seen people in my life ruin themselves with drug use, I was sincerely concerned that this show would glamourise the drug scene, and as such, I really had to have my arm twisted to sit down and watch the show. But the depiction of the low down, scummy, horrible existence drug abuse leads to is very credible indeed.

It's also a great show. I'm not sure as yet why it's won such wide acclaim, as I don't really see anything mind-blowing there. But it's very well acted, and I like the aspect of it where you can see trouble coming sometimes way ahead fo the characters.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Frank

Quote from: HdE on 27 October, 2013, 06:34:57 PM
I'm one episode from finishing season 2 of Breaking Bad

I'm finally about to start watching the second half of the final season. I may be gone for some time.

COMMANDO FORCES

I started season 5 last night but I've already had the ending ruined while reading some comments about the end of Dexter on a 'Dexter' Facebook page, unbelievable!

Professor Bear

To be fair, if you were going to come across spoilers anywhere, it'd be on a fan page where people were discussing the show - I learned that the hard way when someone told me that [spoiler]Clark Kent becomes Superman[/spoiler] at the end of Smallville.  If it's any help, though, the ending of Dexter is utterly leftfield and has no precedent in anything leading up to that point, so knowing the destination won't really ruin the journey in this case.

Moderator edit for spoilers

COMMANDO FORCES

The current talk is of Breaking Bad and that is what I'm on about and the ending of that was talked about on the Dexter page.
I wouldn't ever look for stuff on what I'm actually still watching.

Frank

SPOILER FREE! I promise to tread lightly. Season 5, episode nine. The trademark teaser flash-forward - revealing graffiti, hilarious neighbour reaction, and all that they imply - was a welcome and reassuring touch.

Walt's obsessive and pernickety discussion of air freshener placement at the car wash reminds you that the loser science teacher you met in episode one of the first season and the guy who has murdered half the supporting cast are the same person, and that the aspects of Walt's personality which meant he picked on Gale until he could fire him and saw him chasing that fly all over Fring's lab are symptomatic of the tragic flaw that both got him where he is and that will be his undoing.

Jessie's acting entirely within the established pattern of his behaviour too; doomed to repeat the same cycle of cleaning himself up, getting his shit together, and then self destructing because his guilt and self hatred mean he can't bear to see himself happy. The stoned Star Trek conversation was priceless.

JudgeE1M1RT

Started watching Breaking Bad yesterday.

And now I'm on the third episode of season 2.

Proteus4

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 28 October, 2013, 11:58:32 AM

it should come with a health warning - dont start watching this if you have other things you need to do!  :D

Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

GrinningChimera

I've just begun my Walking Dead marathon. About 3 episodes into season 1 so far. After spending the weekend watching blu-rays (Alien Saga - The Last Stand - Sherlock Seasons 1 + 2 - Silent Hill 2 : can you say no life?) it's suddenly very noticeable how much better blu-ray is than DVD. The whole of the first episode was almost unwatchable just because of the sheer drop in picture quality. I'm getting used to it now though, but it has made me reconsider re-buying everything again on blu-ray.

The last episode of Sherlock season 2 was some of the best T.V I've seen in ages. From the opening with the "clockwork orange music" (I'm sure it's got a real name but that's what I know it as/from) to the ending which had me YELLING at the TV. [spoiler]I really hope that Moriarty is alive.[/spoiler]

radiator

Quote from: JudgeE1M1RT on 28 October, 2013, 11:58:32 AM

Yeah it'll do that. We recently bought season 1 for some friends of ours, and two days after they received it they were asking around if anyone had season 2 they could borrow!

Quotedont start watching this if you have other things you need to do!

Several people I know are almost pathologically against watching Breaking Bad - partly because everyone droning on about it the whole time has actually put them off, and partly because they 'don't have time'. Thing is, what I always say to this is when you're hooked, you'll make time!

radiator

Nope, can't do it.

Still can't make it through a single episode of Community season 4 without my head sinking solemnly into my hands. It's almost utterly devoid of the sharpness, charm and wit that defined it for those first three seasons. As much as I try to go in with an open mind, the standard of jokes are exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from lowest-common denominator gash like The Big Bang Theory - just dressed up as a single camera sitcom.

I'm genuinely baffled how anyone who claims to be a fan of the show could defend it on any level. Even the excellent cast can't elevate such lame material. There's even one point - where Annie screams "I HATE REFERENCE HUMOUR!" - that feels like almost like a very ill-advised swipe at the previous seasons.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Every time I watched an episode of that season I was surprised by Troy and Brita's relationship. Every time. That's how memorable it was.
You may quote me on that.