Main Menu

Weekly Shonen Jump Weekly update (hopefully)

Started by IronGraham, 05 November, 2013, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

How long until Red Sprite is put out of it's misery too. Some iffy material in WSJ at the moment.

Hawkmumbler

Red Sprite is honestly harmless. It just kind of does it's own thing as repetitive and unoriginal as that might be, and though One Piece and My Hero Academia are setting the action fantasy bar really high right now (MHA also delivering some genuinely original genre commentaries), Red Sprite could honestly work as a small press comic and be lauded.

Hawkmumbler

Oh, and speaking of which, My Hero Academia Illegals #2 is a big step in the right direction after the sleazy first chapter, it even manages to smuggle in a guest appearence without feeling too gratuitous. Might be some hope for it yet.

Hawkmumbler

Oh neat! Straighten Up! is getting an anime next year. Good chance to catch up on what looked to be a very charming series.

Hawkmumbler

Oof! Well i've been enjoying Astra Lost in Space very much up to now, token mildly sleazy beach chapter not withstanding, its a solid space romp. That being said the most recent chapter pulled the [spoiler]transgender for shock value trope[/spoiler] on me, and though deftly handled in context to the acenario has left me a little cold.

Hawkmumbler

I ask for more Class-B from MHA, I get more Class-B.

The Adventurer

There is exactly a 0% chance [spoiler]Mirio[/spoiler] isn't the UA traitor.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 29 January, 2017, 03:14:17 AM
There is exactly a 0% chance [spoiler]Mirio[/spoiler] isn't the UA traitor.
Hhhmmm...I'm not letting my guard down. I'm certain it's a Class 1A kid....but which one...

Hawkmumbler

Oh god. Oh my GOD! That new Jump Start is BAD! Like, worryingly bad. E-Robot and Love Rush where ey rollingly ecchi fodder, but the core concept of this love triangle is damn right deplorable.

The Adventurer

See, I didn't find it fundamentally bad. It has a pretty basic and dull romcom premise (super serious boy student gets stuck tutoring two 'comically' flaky girl students. hi-jinks ensue). Harmless and dull. But then suddenly naked high school girls thrown in the last three pages. *facepalm*

Hawkmumbler

WSJ catch up post: So i've been slacking on my weekly comics recently, so decided to marathon a boat ton this week, and here are my thoughts.

We Never Learn improves, but is still something not even remotely in my wheel house. Watch it become a smash it in japan, folks! U19 on the other hand I find fascinating. A kind of casual barminess you could only get in a Shonen manga, and an actually not half bad romantic story. If it where a one shot, how it will sustain itself with the introduction of 'powers' into the story I wouldn't mind seeing.

Demon Prince Poro Diary's is giving me Spring Weapon flashbacks, but the pop culture jabs and often filthy sense of humor I find much more my thing than in the aforementioned non-comedy. It's a strange one, for sure. Hungry Marie actually comes to us from a Jump alumni, Tamura of Beelzebub fame. It's not bad, and like Demon Prince before it feels like a mildly interesting take on something we've all seen before. I'm much less decided on this than I am the other three, it's certainly odd but i'm not sure it could bring anything new to the table.

But tomorrows issue, now, THAT I am excited for. Dr.Stone comes to us from two of the giants of the manga industry, Inagaki of Eyeshield 21 and Boichi of MF Sun-Ken-Rock. THIS is the title that i'm most excited for out of the entire Jump Start line up, not just because of the creative team, but because I suspect it will scratch a Toriko sized itch of mine.

Hawkmumbler

Gosh, I am really digging the high camp madness that is Dr. Stone. I felt it could have dug itself into a rut really quickly but it's certainly an entertaining yarn! And the art is lovely!

The Adventurer

Bakugō and Asta would probably be the bestest friends

Hawkmumbler

Just read #23 and...my god, Promised Neverland pulled the rug out from under me.

[spoiler]Ray is Mother Elizabeths son.[/spoiler] Jesus christ this is going to get messy but urgh its so good!