Main Menu

2000AD 40th Anniversary - 11th Feb 2017 - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

What a cracking event. Great crowd and fantastic organisation. I went to three talks, had loads of laughs and got to call four Thargs a shower of bastards for not printing my stories - big laughs ensued!

The bar service was poor but I think everyone managed to get drunk - Thanks to Dr X and Satanist for the mid evening illicit drinks in their room. Too many highlights to mention so I'll let the photos do the talking. Apologies to anyone whose name I forgot or who is described only by their forum name - it's how we all know each other anyway!

They know their audience!

Pete, Mike and Steve don't realise that Proudhuff is nearly upon them!

Proudhuff, The Cosh and Buttonman agree that height is no factor in great letter writing.

Rob Williams, Al Ewing and Emma Beeby ponder my difficult question 'Where do you get your ideas from?' at the writers' panel

Is the comic wearing better than its readership - you better hope so! With Richmond, Dode C and Alan (Bad City Blue)

Dr X and Satanist deny that the plate of hummus and falafal is anything to do with them.

A snappy dresser. Also pictured : Max Normal

Old Timers panel with John Higgins, Ian Kennedy and Jesus Renaldo.

Eamonn and Bolt try to broker an illicit t-shirt deal.

DreddPool narrowly escape a ninja style kicking as I'd just had my lunch.

Getting hammered is as easy as ABC.

Selfies will be the death of him.

The Brit-Cit Isles' finest

Well done me for keeping my eyes looking straight ahead! Love Dino-wrangler from Flesh - not Lawless like what I said.

This one's dedicated to Shaun the lurker who said my food photos are always a highlight. Keep taking the meds Shaun!

Zan Arcade accuses Alan of scribbling all over his prized Prog 1.

It's like that bar off Star Wars! Phil (Dandontdare) and Jim Campbell have joined the fray.

Tharg with three previous sheddings - Matt Smith, Andy Diggle, Richard Burton and Steve MacManus.

Colin YMCA burst in to say the beer has run out.

Burdis and Wells try to barter their worldly good for a sketch from Colin Macneil.

Just me and my pal Henry Flint.

I can't for the life of me remember this chap's name - we had a good laugh and chat though!

Photos getting as blurry as my memory - Mickey and Fungus join the party.

Pretty sure this chap is a droid although again my gushing fanboyness has moved to forgetfulness!

So there you go - any more out there?

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 12 February, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
One thing that did strike me though was the disparity in the queue lengths for the creators. Predictably I guess the queues for Pat, John, Carlos, Fabry and Bisley seemed to stretch to Betelgeuse and back or mooovvvveee reeeaaalllly sloooowly (I never did get to Glenn as I prioritised the SD film instead) whilst some other truly top creators has no queue or a queue of one.

I couldn't understand that either.  Creators who have had very little published so far, or who had something published a long time ago but not much since I'd understand, but there was one or two who had had a lot published, including some absurdly well-recieved works, worked internationally but still producing comics for 2000ad but who had no queue at all when I went to them.  Couldn't understand it.

Yeah the whole time Ben Willsher was doing my sketch, Simon Fraser was just standing there. When I was queuing for Fabry, Alan Grant came and sat down and no-one apart from me and one other went over. I mean seriously come on people!!!!!!

Buttonman

M'learned friend tells me it was Glenn Fabry and Simon Bisley that I was hobnobbing with!

Pyroxian

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 February, 2017, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2017, 05:35:37 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 12 February, 2017, 01:16:35 PM
One thing that did strike me though was the disparity in the queue lengths for the creators. Predictably I guess the queues for Pat, John, Carlos, Fabry and Bisley seemed to stretch to Betelgeuse and back or mooovvvveee reeeaaalllly sloooowly (I never did get to Glenn as I prioritised the SD film instead) whilst some other truly top creators has no queue or a queue of one.

I couldn't understand that either.  Creators who have had very little published so far, or who had something published a long time ago but not much since I'd understand, but there was one or two who had had a lot published, including some absurdly well-recieved works, worked internationally but still producing comics for 2000ad but who had no queue at all when I went to them.  Couldn't understand it.

Yeah the whole time Ben Willsher was doing my sketch, Simon Fraser was just standing there. When I was queuing for Fabry, Alan Grant came and sat down and no-one apart from me and one other went over. I mean seriously come on people!!!!!!

It could down to how rarely some of them make an appearance at comic cons?

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 February, 2017, 07:07:36 PM

Had I been there (-sniff-), a Jena sketch from Simon Fraser would have been near the top of my 'want' list.  Perhaps folk just suffering from droid overload!

Colin YNWA

Fantastic photographs Buttonman (pleasure to finally meet you in the Flesh). Its interesting that they had that sign (as shown in your first photograph) as I can honestly say I've never been to a more good spirited, celebratory event that was filled with (by my experience of it) wholely gosh damned decent chaps and ladies*

All I can do is reiterate what's been said here already. A quite superb day, I mean really first rate. I met and was tolerated by so many very lovely people from the board, from not in the board (that I'm aware of) and creators each and everyone of whom was charming and a delight. The only down side is I missed some people I'd have loved to have chatted to (Ming, Spikes and Hippynumber1 I'm genuinely sorry I didn't at least consiously see you and Jim Campbell I did see you but both of us were constantly talking so I never got around to saying hello which I feel pretty bad about). The thing is I have no idea how I could have fitted more into the event. From arrival at 10am to crashing at a late (well for me I'm a light weight these days) 1am it was just end to end fun and good times.

The day was magnificent and the evening hilarious. Especial thanks to the (largely) Scottish boarders who put up with the brunt of me spouting even more nonsense than normal as I got drunker than I have been for a while - oh and Steve Green me and Pete thought it was hilarious ... you just looked bemused. Yike.

So yeah so many fond memories. So much more I could say but if there's any chance of going it again I'll be there in a heart beat first class all round (well mardy bar staff aside)

*For some reason I actually talked like this at least twice I can think of on the day I can think of... which was very odd... can't even blame the drink. I think I was just giddy with excitment!

opaque

Quote from: Pyroxian on 12 February, 2017, 07:32:47 PM
It could down to how rarely some of them make an appearance at comic cons?

And also what other things were on, how long you thought you could wait etc. I basically gave up on the idea of the big names for signings, only managed one nerve centre signing as well but managed 3 panels. If it took an hour to queue up for some then you wouldn't want to pull out to see someone else I suppose.
Lookslike if I had hung around those tables it might have been different.
But then it was lovely that other artists and writers were hanging around other peoples tables, buying things, meeting them etc.And the amount of time I spent watching people like Book Cook and Mark Sexton doing other peoples artwork was lovely :) I should have got sketches from them as well but it was doing my back in standing around as it was!

Amazing day, But yes the bar staff were awful!

Rackle

Wow! That was an amazing event!  So much Thrillpower that I have had to sleep through much of today to recover  :D

This was my first ever convention and I was so pleasantly surprised at how welcoming everybody was. It is no exaggeration when I say I was petrified of coming as I was scared I'd be getting quizzed on my knowledge of 2000AD like an entrance exam into the building, or that I'd be laughed out the building for not looking the part. The truth couldn't be any further from my fears: fans, creators, droids and staff alike were so warm and friendly; even queuing for signatures wasn't too bad (we did queue for just shy of 2 hours for Carlos' signature, and in the process I made some pals with the chaps in front of me).  It was so nice to see the joy and love of 2000AD being shared. I loved seeing the lengths people went to go in character as well.

I loved the screening of Search/Destroy (Strontium Dog) and although I missed the start of the Future Shock as the queue at the bar was huge, I really enjoyed watching the rest of it.

I wish wasn't so shy as I'd spotted people whom I recognised from the forum but as I'm still new here I thought it's be a bit creepy/stalkerish to say hello to a stranger just because I recognise them from their avatar or forum name. 

Note to self: next time there's an event like this, don't cycle there as you'll have to cycle home again and that means not being able to stay to the end.

Was it just me or was it bloody freezing in the venue?  I know I've been living down in Laandaaan Town for over a decade so have softened up a bit over the years but I was so cold. Still, mustn't grumble as that was such an amazing day.

Dandontdare

Fantastic day. I quickly gave up my plan to get loads of autograophs as I realised I'd be standing in queues all day - waited in Pat's queue for aboiu half an hour and I swear it ddin't move an inch. Carlos' queue was also ridiculously long, but I did get to meet him in the bar. In the end I failed to attend any panels as they were being recorde and I figured I coul catch up on therm later, but I did do some shopping:

The badge set was ridiculously good value for a tenner.

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 February, 2017, 04:19:04 PM
We ended up bringing bottles down from the room, including a large Black Jack Schnapps bottle and 4 small bottles of vile schnapps  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh Christ, I'd forgotten that stuff till you reminded me!  :sick: Got horrendously drunk (apologies to anyone on the end of my inane blathering), and it was great to meet so many old faces and quite a few new ones.

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 February, 2017, 04:05:58 PM
I've touched another man's spoon and paid the price.
You didn't just touch his spoon though, you disrespected his entire profession! The bar staff were hopeless, they couldn't organise a piss up in a ... well, hotel bar.

The lay out and organisation from Rebellion was great (as the throbing vein in Molch-R's temple testified).

Some random pics:

Which is better, covers or letters? There's only one way to find out...

Congratulatiosn to CFM - that Dredd bust looked fantastic. Did all the prizes get claimed as I missed the draw?

Hawkmumbler

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 February, 2017, 09:25:59 PM
Man I would KILL for that pin set!

:'( Me too - it sold out almost straight away when I was in the Kingsley talk. Did manage to get the tiny Dredd pin though to go with my tiny SD badge.

Still longing for Planet Replicas to bring their vintage logo cufflinks out as a pin badge... *sigh*

Also - Gunnar, Helm AND Bagman as a set surely? One on your beanie hat, one on your backpack... ONE ON YOUR GUN.

Steamrunner

I managed to pick up all the pins individually, not in the box (and for a few quid more - harrumph ;-) - they are very cool!   But yes, a trio of Gunnar, Bagman and Helm would have been great!

JaHawkDroid

After thinking on it, my only regret is that I was unable to meet Mr Ezquerra, but the queue for him was just too long for the timescale I had at the event. Hopefully there will be a next time. (Winks suggestively at the PR Droids as they attempt to recharge)

dweezil2

A really superb celebration of all things thrill-powered!

I would like to thank all the creators, organisers and squax for making it such a memorable event!

Utter zarjazness!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Steve Green

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 February, 2017, 10:12:15 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 12 February, 2017, 09:25:59 PM
Man I would KILL for that pin set!

:'( Me too - it sold out almost straight away when I was in the Kingsley talk. Did manage to get the tiny Dredd pin though to go with my tiny SD badge.

Still longing for Planet Replicas to bring their vintage logo cufflinks out as a pin badge... *sigh*

Also - Gunnar, Helm AND Bagman as a set surely? One on your beanie hat, one on your backpack... ONE ON YOUR GUN.

I would expect a set of Gunnar/Helm/Bagman - I have talked with Dan about Major Magnam and a Rogue 4 from the Gibbons Tor Cyan strip... we'll see...