Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 06 October, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Aw Man, DREDD isn't even in the top ten http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
:(

That's an incomplete chart as the reslts for all films aren't in but Dredd wasn't in the top ten last weekend either. It was at 11.

judge devs

So in the UK we've taken roughly $6.5M, shame you can't up scale our population to that of the US, we'd have done about $33M on our own  :)

junox

BOXOFFICE
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/movies/dredd-2012?q=dredd
Dredd 3D (R)

Action | Sci-Fi | 3D Movie   -   Sep 21, 2012

Opening Weekend: $6,278,491
Total Domestic Gross: $12,675,414 [est.]
Worldwide Gross: $29,533,418 [est.]
Total Budget: $72,000,000

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just screened Taken 2, and it was pretty much full, and this is after it's got a ton of negative reviews. The film is really bad. I understand that people may have liked the first one, but I think it was easy to tell from the trailers alone that this sequel was just a cash cow.

And then Dredd, which was clearly made with a lot of love, and is really good and got a ton of great reviews, nobody wants to watch.

Crazy.

Stan

It looks like it'll double Dredd's worldwide take in one weekend.

The number of screens for Dredd have also been slashed by two thirds.

Spikes

Mmm, i guess its still early days and all that, but it looks like its going to really struggle to even make its money back.

Stan

I don't follow these things closely but I can't see it making much more than $15 mil in the US.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Judge Jack on 07 October, 2012, 07:39:52 PM
Mmm, i guess its still early days and all that, but it looks like its going to really struggle to even make its money back.

Don't forget it's still to open in the cinema in these territories and even more that aren't listed here (from IMDb):

Argentina, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia, Chile, Taiwan, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland.

That it's going to be a runaway success seems unlikely, but that it will make it's money back doesn't seem so farfetched, bearing in mind income from home formats is yet to arrive.

Spikes

Hopefully my post didnt come across as negative, think i was a little shocked, and disheartened, by the figures in junox's post. You would hope it would make its money, and as i said its still early(ish) days, but it needs to make another $40M? Gulp.
Has there ever been more of a rollercoaster ride of emotions, following a film, than this?
Good word of mouth and reviews, silencing the online idiots, have come thick and fast (and most importantly the film itself is top-notch), but followed by sluggish box office that picks up then slumps then picks up again.

For those that would know these things - just how much $ can home media formats generate, for a film like Dredd?

hazy efc

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 07 October, 2012, 06:53:28 PM
Just screened Taken 2, and it was pretty much full, and this is after it's got a ton of negative reviews. The film is really bad. I understand that people may have liked the first one, but I think it was easy to tell from the trailers alone that this sequel was just a cash cow.

And then Dredd, which was clearly made with a lot of love, and is really good and got a ton of great reviews, nobody wants to watch.

Crazy.
We all should of shit over dredd before it got to the states that way it would of made 30mil easy

Steve Green

Would you all be happier if it was a crock of shit that made a lot of money?

I know I wouldn't.

judge devs

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 October, 2012, 08:34:26 PM
Would you all be happier if it was a crock of shit that made a lot of money?

I know I wouldn't.

Well the first movie was certainly a crock of shit, and that didn't make money either.

Personally, I'm happy with a smouldering cult classic, which will, once rental and DVD sales are chucked in, make it's money back. It still also has a ton of territories to open in yet as well. Germany could add some good money to it's overall take.

I seem to rememmber Blade Runner lost money on it's initial release and was slated by critics and was wildely over budget and schedule in production, so much so it was also canned in production. That turned out ok. Directors recent works have been iffy though.

hazy efc

why no french italy or japan release for dredd, shame could of made good money in those countries

Keef Monkey

Out of curiosity just looked up Taken 2 on box office mojo, a movie which I've heard nothing but dreadful things about and is being universally slated. It's opening weekend took $50,000,000.

I know a lot of inferior films will be making more than Dredd, but this one in particular is a bit of a kick in the stones, given Dredd's hugely positive word of mouth and Taken 2's awful reputation. Especially as it's had the opening weekend Dredd needed and deserved.

Of course, I haven't seen Taken 2, it might be incredible.

Michaelvk

Quote from: hazy efc on 07 October, 2012, 08:50:54 PM
why no french italy or japan release for dredd, shame could of made good money in those countries

Judge who?
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..