Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 04 October, 2012, 12:40:16 AM
OK now I am really confused. Why would they spend the same amount of money that it cost to make a film to advertise it as well. Surely it couldn't be $72 million all together. Then Alex Garland's comment about the $50 mil mark for a sequel wouldn't make any sense as it would still be down on money.

Yep, it's lunacy, but studios often spend almost as much on advertising a dim as making it. Something like Datk Knight Rises probably had a marketing budget over $100m. For many low budget films they spend MORE on marketing than the film itself.

I fear that it would have taken a huge marketing blitz to make the film a success - which would somewhat defeat the purpose of making it on a low ish budget in the first place.

The $50m number was for the US - it would have recouped the amount Lionsgate paid for distribution rights and marketing.

As I understand it, most films don't make a huge profit theatrically, but continue to make money on home video, rentals/streaming, TV rights etc etc. That is why most film's appear to lose money when you look at box office.

IndigoPrime

Garland's remark was 1) a fairly throwaway comment, and 2) $50m in the US. I suspect the assumption was if it did $50m in that territory, it'd pick up another $15m–$30m elsewhere. Also, is that $70m figure ratified anywhere, or is it just another site firing guesswork into the ether, like IMDB and Mobygames? (Note that the figure wouldn't surprise me, given that even the smallest movies are often production budget x 1.5 for actual budget.)

radiator

The reported production budget seemed to rise from $35m to $45/50m during production. Is it possible that the film went over budget due to reshoots or something?

Would films be insured for that kind of thing?

Fisticuffs

Sure you're not getting your £/$'s mixed up?

radiator

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 01:18:36 AM
Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 04 October, 2012, 12:39:43 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 October, 2012, 12:25:51 AM
Quote from: Stan on 03 October, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
So does the '51' mean it's being shown in more venues this week? That seems a little odd.

It's being shown in 2,557. The 51 is a percentage fall in comparison to the same day last week.

Nope. Dredd has actually opened in an extra 51 theatres in the US

I had suspected that but it does match the % fall too. I wonder does this mean they're pushing out some 2D.

Oh Okay.I think/hope they are pushing more 2D prints out.

The total box office for Dredd should jump a lot in next few days.Looking at the foreign gross, the figures are for the most part  just accounting for a few days of release, even UK box office hasn't released last weekends figures yet and I can't see anything at all relating to Irelands figures just yet either. Basically there is a lot of numbers to come in ,I'm still holding out hope that things look a lot better in a weeks time.

IndigoPrime

Again, the problem there is if any other countries will heavily impact on those numbers. For Dredd, the UK is the 'home' territory and the US is, as always, the potentially largest market. I can see the film grabbing a few hundred thou here and there, and perhaps a million or two in very large territories (like in Russia), but we could really do with it going batshit mental somewhere. Ideally, it'd be lovely if the Japanese just went totally Dredd crazy when the film shows up there.

BPP

Last Night for Dredd in Belfast tonight. So we'll be there, then off to the monthly comic book group to beat them over the head if they haven't seen it.

Bummed its the last show.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Stan

Quote from: hazy efc on 04 October, 2012, 09:23:00 AM
are they releasing dredd in france and japan i think it would do great in japan

Yeah, it could be big in Japan.

...tonight.

I recall something about it being released early next year. Though I'm not sure why (I could be mistaken anyway).

radiator

I've mentioned this before, but I have a friend in Japan, and as far as he can tell Dredd doesn't have distribution there.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Stan on 04 October, 2012, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: hazy efc on 04 October, 2012, 09:23:00 AM
are they releasing dredd in france and japan i think it would do great in japan
Yeah, it could be big in Japan.

Well on previous visits to Japan I've taken a Judge Dredd action figure as a present for my brother in law, and last time, I took the two Tour of Duty trades and he had a bit of a look at those. He might go see it I suppose although he had never heard of Judge Dredd or 2000 AD until I blathered on about it to him.

Judge Dredd is even less well known in Japan than he is in America but it could do well if marketed as a pure, violent action film.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

judge devs

I asked a couple of weeks ago so, or about 40 pages back, if someone had a full distribution list, and I am certain it was Joe Soap that who posted a link to a list. I'm sure Japan was on it, but the biggest surprise for me was Germany being one of the last on the list in late November.

JOE SOAP

radiator

Japan hasn't appeared on any release lists as far as I can tell.

JOE SOAP

Though Karl is promoting it there, apparently.