Main Menu

‘Dark Judges’ Online Miniseries

Started by JOE SOAP, 06 October, 2014, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Quote from: T.a.H. on 24 October, 2014, 08:46:12 AM
A sense of entitlement is the utter shit that is GameGate, not this.

GamerGate is an extreme. Some seem to be reacting to this series as if it was a personal affront rather than just something that isn't to their personal tastes.

Some of the criticism could definitely do with being a bit more polite.

GordonR

The idea that you can only judge this as if it were any other fan-made project is fairly ludicrous....

....unless, of course, there's many other fan films out there that can clearly afford access to professional PR services that can get them coverage at major media entertainment outlets?

Spaceghost

Quote from: GordonR on 24 October, 2014, 09:29:08 AM
The idea that you can only judge this as if it were any other fan-made project is fairly ludicrous....

Please, judge away. I just don't think comments like "it's shit", before the first episode has even been seen, are particularly valid criticisms. Not too much of that on this forum, but some of the comments I've seen elsewhere have been needlessly rude.

Quote from: GordonR on 24 October, 2014, 09:29:08 AM....unless, of course, there's many other fan films out there that can clearly afford access to professional PR services that can get them coverage at major media entertainment outlets?

I don't understand what that has to do with extending common courtesy to someone who has created a not-for-profit tribute to a beloved character. Is it the fact that Adi Shankar knows a few people here and there who can help him get his project seen? Or the suggestion that he's spent some of his own money to get extra publicity?

Either way, he's basically a fan who is asking for nothing in return.

Yes, I that's what you want to do. As long as you criticise the creation and not personally attack the creator fill ya boots.

Quote from: T.a.H. on 24 October, 2014, 09:29:08 AMYes, I that's what you want to do. As long as you criticise the creation and not personally attack the creator fill ya boots.

Fandom is under no obligation to be grateful for absolutely anything aimed at them just 'cos it's free and apparently created with love.

I agree, but if I peppered the art threads on here with comments in a similar vein to the ones relating to this project, I would, rightly, be branded a dick-head.

I'm not looking for a fight, I love you all, but I just think it might be appropriate to try to temper the ire just a bit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

IndigoPrime

FWIW, as with anything on this forum:

- Attacking the creator with personal insults is not acceptable.
- Attacking the art with "THIS IS SHIT! LOL!!!ONE!!!1!!" is... unwelcome.
- Constructive criticism is perfectly welcome, regardless of how and why the work was created.

As long as any comments about this series remain about the work itself and don't veer into personal insults, they're well within the rules of the board.

Bubba Zebill

It's cool, I like it. (It's a variation the theme)
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

-Dunk!-

pauljholden

What I find interesting about a large part of this debate is what constitutes a 'fan' project. To me, this isn't a 'fan' project, it's a low-budget professional project done without permission/agreement with the copyright holders, which will make money on adviews in youtube.

So how is this different than channel 4 spontaneously deciding they'll make a lower budget version of Doctor Who* but it's alright because they're all fans of it?

-pj
(*if such a thing is possible...)

Spaceghost

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 10:46:57 AM
What I find interesting about a large part of this debate is what constitutes a 'fan' project. To me, this isn't a 'fan' project, it's a low-budget professional project done without permission/agreement with the copyright holders, which will make money on adviews in youtube.

So how is this different than channel 4 spontaneously deciding they'll make a lower budget version of Doctor Who* but it's alright because they're all fans of it?

-pj

Good point. Presumably Rebellion are convinced that this can be categorised as a not-for-profit fan project, or they would have shut it down long ago.

I don't have any idea what kind of revenue one could expect from YouTube ads, but It wouldn't be anything like the amount Channel 4 would make from a definitely-not-for-profit version of Doctor Who.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

pauljholden

Quote from: Spaceghost on 24 October, 2014, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 10:46:57 AM

-pj

Good point. Presumably Rebellion are convinced that this can be categorised as a not-for-profit fan project, or they would have shut it down long ago.

I don't have any idea what kind of revenue one could expect from YouTube ads, but It wouldn't be anything like the amount Channel 4 would make from a definitely-not-for-profit version of Doctor Who.

Point one, you're assuming Rebellion know more about this than you or I. I get the impression this landed on them as much as it landed on us. (I get that impression from the way Shankar talks about it in the video and actually to be fair to him, maybe he defines "bootleg" as something different from how you and I think of "fan-project" - bootleg, as I understand HIS understanding, seems to mean, professional level, distribution direct to the fans and ignoring all that bothersome copyright stuff).

On point two, it's not about revenue, it's about profit. I'd hazard a guess it's possible to make a tidy sum from advertising on youtube if you only have yourself to split that profit with. TV on the other hand is gonna be more expensive to make and then you'll have to split the rest between the station, the producers, and the lawyers you'll inevitably need because the beeb has a big machine that can trample over you in the way that 2000AD doesn't.

-pj

Steve Green

From what I've looked into, it's not much (unless you really do well out of views)

We don't have ad-revenue enabled for Minty, and were asked not to. (presumably since DNA have motion picture rights it would muddy things)

So I couldn't tell you from experience what someone might get for a certain amount of views.

Satanist

I seem to remember it getting a bit heated on here a few years back when certain folk commented poorly on certain fanzines. Fanzines which unlike this video you are charged for.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Satanist on 24 October, 2014, 11:40:10 AM
Fanzines which unlike this video you are charged for.

Those fanzines, assuming you are weaselling around saying "Zarjaz" and "Dogbreath", are emphatically not for profit. The video makes money from ad views. It may also be not-for-profit and will lift the ad element when the costs have been recouped — we don't know.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

Weasiling Jim? Fuck right off! I didnt name names as I didnt remember which one it was (though I do remember the boarder involved)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Bolt-01

Quote from: Satanist on 24 October, 2014, 11:40:10 AM
I seem to remember it getting a bit heated on here a few years back when certain folk commented poorly on certain fanzines. Fanzines which unlike this video you are charged for.

Hmm- not sure if I missed all that. I don't recall anyone specifically having a pop at Zarjaz or Dogbreath- but I am very prepared to admit my memory may well be faulty. I think that the strips that lead to this were around the times of Tank Girl and Stalag 666. And that little kefuffle cost the board Rufus. Something none of us should forget.