Main Menu

‘Dark Judges’ Online Miniseries

Started by JOE SOAP, 06 October, 2014, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Well I'm glad I waited and saw it before I commented. Some bits I liked, but overall that was poor. The amount of plot on show was negligible where given the amount of time available there could have been a cracking little tale.

Must try harder.

locustsofdeath!

The style of the animation bothered me.

Not because it was poor, but because it was completely riffed from the old Tim Burton/Amazing Stories "Family Dog" episode so closely that parts may have been lifted right from that cartoon (Death's teeth grinding is exactly like that of the dog trainer in FD).

Overall, I did not enjoy it - but I'm still shocked at the anger and bitterness (not naming names) that's being spewed over it. I just can't imagine being so mad over something like a cartoon.

Bubba Zebill

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wack&page=2
[/quote]

:-[ Can I just add a 'Y' to that? I fear I may have exposed yet another gap in my understanding of human affairs and in particular my knowledge of the street vernacular of younger beings who etc etc etc (auld yin).
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

Not getting Mick McMahon (who I seem to recall even the prog credited as 'MacMahon' more than once circa Judge Child...I could be wrong) is not acceptable. Definite black mark.

It's not what I would have done, I would have tended to something shorter that fit with the timeline and was in character and visceral and,,,, it was by no means the kind of exciting work that feels like you are seeing the stories coming alive (like Judge Minty) or the film.

It is off track in terms trying to show what's great in JD. Maybe people are pissed because they see this as critical time and anything that misses the mark isn't helping the campaign for a sequel.

But I'd say there's room for some goofing around, experiments, mistakes and fun. Personally I didn't like the whole Sydney death storyline...Death dead on Deadworld was the be all and end for me. Good things have come since. But young Death?...dear god no...but others love it, there's has to be room for all these directions. An open mind...especially for the free thing and then move on. Now, about Dredd2...

Misanthrope

Yeah...that was a bit shit, actually.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Steve Green

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 27 October, 2014, 04:58:20 PM
But I'd say there's room for some goofing around, experiments, mistakes and fun.

If Dredd was a global juggernaut, maybe - but I can see the argument of being cautious when it's the Stallone film that got a lot of the blame for the box-office failure of the 2012 version.

Having someone linked to the 2012 version, dismissing talk of a sequel with 'There's no fucking script' but being vague as to what he's got on his mind for his project... just seems to muddy the waters really.

Steve Green

It's also a little odd that this has been leaked in one go, and is not on his list of videos publicly.

Pete Wells

Well, it was silly and didn't make a great deal of sense but I quite enjoyed it.

Rusty

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 October, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
But I'd say there's room for some goofing around, experiments, mistakes and fun.

If Dredd was a global juggernaut, maybe - but I can see the argument of being cautious when it's the Stallone film that got a lot of the blame for the box-office failure of the 2012 version.

Having someone linked to the 2012 version, dismissing talk of a sequel with 'There's no fucking script' but being vague as to what he's got on his mind for his project... just seems to muddy the waters really.
Exactly what I was thinking. Being a avid fan of the comic and the recent film, I'm not really sure what message this was supposed to convey to those who basically just liked the 2012 film without being familiar to the cannon of the source material. Watching this confused me enough as it is. It was a little bit too casual and childish in tone for my liking. If you're linked to the making of the recent film, why go completely in the opposite direction with your next project based on the same material if what you want to do is give it more publicity for a possible sequel? I just don't get it. I also don't buy the "made for fans" mantra either. If it was, it certainly isn't the idea I had in mind for Death, style or story wise.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 October, 2014, 08:23:35 PM
Yeah. That actually looks like it might be a bit of a laugh.

Turns out I was wrong. I gave it ten minutes, and didn't laugh so I'm guessing this isn't my cup of tea.

Ah well, never mind.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

If this had been a board Advent Calendar entry I would have loudly applauded the effort.  As it is, apart from a few grins early on, it was pretty disappointing, mainly because the treatment of the source material seemed completely superficial (rather than comical or knowing), and rather... wasteful.

I quite liked the style of animation itself once it got going, the Mrs. Gunderson cameo was fun and Judge Sydney had a certain charm, but I had basically lost heart by the time Mean's head exploded and never really got back on board.  Ah well, I hope some other (less invested) folk enjoyed it more.

JOE SOAP

blackmocco

Well, here's half the problem:

"Luis: We are Spanish, and although Carlos Ezquerra, one of the creators of Judge Dredd, is Spanish too the truth is that in this country it was extremely difficult to buy any comic of the character. I liked Adi Shankar's movie, and I had a vague memory of Stallone's, but that was everything I knew about the character. When Adi proposed we adapt the Boyhood of a Superfiend comic book, we started to buy imported Judge Dredd comics.

Enol Juniquera: My earliest personal memory of Judge Dredd was watching Stallone's movie on the sofa. I was five or six years old. In 2012, I started to notice a lot of people talking about the new Dredd movie. So I went to the cinema and enjoyed it. I loved Karl Urban's angry face -- he did a great job. After watching it I started imitating him -- until I had to go to the doctor because I felt a muscle pain in my face. It's a true and ridiculous story."
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

And here's the other half of the problem:

Luis: "We were three people working for almost 20 months, doing a 30-minute animated movie -- without earning money, without talking about it with anyone."
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 October, 2014, 05:13:25 PM

I can totally see that, it may make people nervous, muddy the waters. I really hold what Wagner and Grant have done with Dredd over the years in the highest esteem, I'm an evangelist, have been forever. So I'm surprising even myself here by being amused and supportive of this project. But I don't think it can be compared to the 1st Dredd film. That was a mega budget film that made huge noise about something that was just pish - on all levels frankly. But I have some sympathy with that project too, I hadn't read the comics in a few years, hated the film, later saw what was being published around that time and realised that the source material wasn't much better. The prog improved and it's been great again for a long time. But what this guy Shankar is doing can't possibly soil Dredd to the extent that the first film did...or the awful stuff (I think) that was being published in 2000AD then was doing to Dredd, it was its own worst enemy IMO. OK, It would be a miracle if any publication could have a perfect run for 40 years, so I'm not knocking it, it happens. But Dredd and 2000AD have, probably, never been stronger. It can take this iteration. It was nuts....I actually laughed when that guy died and death grinned. I didn't expect to, and in no way does this fit with Dredd as I like it. But it was fun, it was silly...it was mental...dare I say it...it was wack(y) :)