Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 August, 2009, 04:25:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 August, 2009, 04:06:54 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 28 August, 2009, 04:02:12 PM

By god it's good comics.

Oh, yes. Yes it is. First mainstream superhero comic in over a decade that's made me think of setting up a regular order. That's how good it is.

Cheers!

Jim

Couldn't agree more.  Makes me hope that Bruce Wayne stays dead for a good long time.

I think the best move would actually be for him to come back, but not retake the Batmantle (;D).  That way we don't have his miraculous resurrection hanging over us while we're enjoying the state of play.  However, if it does get to a point where Bruce Wayne is going to take over again, it can be more natural than him just appearing because sales are flagging.

strontium_dog_90

I've just read "The Devil in Amber," by Mark Gatiss, in pretty much one sitting. It's a great and gripping read, and also brought back fond memories of hearing the author do the voice of Judge Death . . .

TordelBack

Just started into Jack McDevitt's second Alex Benedict book Polaris.  Not as much fun as his Academy books, but then what is?

Also, seeing as the library was flat out of 100 Bullets Vol.2 I decided to give Preacher a third or fourth chance, having recently come round to liking Ennis current stiuff.  Nope, I still don't get it.  I re-read Dixie Fried over lunch.  I thought it was badly paced and unfunny. Even though it only took me half an hour to finish, I was actualy bored by the end.  Apart from their comedy accents all the characters sound the same, to-wit, they all sound like fecking arseholes.  Pages upon pages of characters laughing at Arseface, oh ha-ha-ha.  And that Bill Hicks hagiography was so clumsy as to be insulting.  Somebody explain the appeal, I've really tried.

I did like the the Neil Gaiman character though. 

Bouwel

The latest Felix Caster novel dropped through my letter-box this morning. Thus far it's pretty good, although poor Fix does seem to live in a world of woe.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 September, 2009, 06:49:50 PM
I decided to give Preacher a third or fourth chance, having recently come round to liking Ennis current stiuff.  Nope, I still don't get it.  I re-read Dixie Fried over lunch.  I thought it was badly paced and unfunny. Even though it only took me half an hour to finish, I was actualy bored by the end.  Apart from their comedy accents all the characters sound the same, to-wit, they all sound like fecking arseholes.  Pages upon pages of characters laughing at Arseface, oh ha-ha-ha.  And that Bill Hicks hagiography was so clumsy as to be insulting.  Somebody explain the appeal, I've really tried.

I did like the the Neil Gaiman character though.  

Interesting take. I'm a huge fan of Preacher. I do think it's a book that works best the first time around - if you find you like it, as I did when I first saw it in the meg reprints, then it works well on an episode-by-episode basis, as I was always keen to find out what happens next. I've also re-read most of it in GNs from the library (did The Meg reprint all of it? If not, I went on to read the rest), and enjoyed those, but it was a while ago. I must admit, the last time I picked one up though, I was much less impressed, but this is true of about 95% of all American comics I read. (there's a whole other discussion there)

True it's indulgent, as all Ennis' stuff is. He creates characters who proceed to indulge in various levels of danger and deviancy whilst spouting off endlessly about the author's particular obsessions and fascinations. The same could be said of most writers! The thing is, I get off on the stuff he talks about. I often quote the bit about Chaplin vs Laurel & Hardy, as it really struck a chord with me (and is absolutely true).

I can't be arsed googling to find out when Preacher was written, but I suspect that so much other stuff has been influenced by it that to someone approaching it now, it may look like a poor knockoff, whereas it was actually the ground-breaking original influence.

but if it don't float your boat, what the hey! Plenty more comics in the Sea. I don't rate 100 bullets as much as most people seem to. Loved the first couple of books, as I got off on the total mystery and the fact that within this mysterious context, they were incredibly moving individual stories; but once the backstory and explanations started appearing, it just killed it and I never enjoyed them much after that. And walking dead is another *yawn* zombie story. Chacun a son gout, mon ami!

PS - who was the 'Neil Gaiman character'? As I said, it's been a while!

TordelBack

QuotePS - who was the 'Neil Gaiman character'? As I said, it's been a while!

One of the pathetic wannabe vampires Cassidy encounters in New Orleans.  He looks just like Gaiman and writes godawful pre-emo poetry, before having a successful career 'reinventing the genre'. 

The Laurel and Hardy bit (although I probably wrongly remember it as being a comparison with the Three Stooges) is the main reason I keep coming back to Preacher - i thought it was utterly brilliant (being an L&H fan myself), and made me think there must be more to the series than I was seeing.  Unfortunately subsequent worshipful sequences involving John Wayne and the aforementioned genius Bill Hicks just retread the same ground.   For me  Jesse and Cassidy just come across as Mary-Sues through which Ennis fills endless pages with his ontological project of classifying all living beings as either Mate or Wanker.  I will persevere with a re-read because there are some good jokes in there, and some inventive violence, but I don't see where all the adulation comes from.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 September, 2009, 10:52:35 PM

(being an L&H fan myself)

I knew there was a reason I liked you!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2009, 10:54:58 PM

(being an L&H fan myself)

I knew there was a reason I liked you!

Cheers

Jim

Have either of you been to the Laurel & Hardy museum up in... um, the Lake District somewhere? It's bloody fantastic! And the man who curates/ lives in it is astonishing. Anyone with even a passing interest in L & H should make an effort to go.

Steev

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 04 September, 2009, 11:01:53 PM
And the man who curates/ lives in it is astonishing.

Does he sit in a fireplace with bricks falling on his head?

Cheers

Jim

Dandontdare

For me  Jesse and Cassidy just come across as Mary-Sues through which Ennis fills endless pages with his ontological project of classifying all living beings as either Mate or Wanker. 

;D ;D ;D You have just summed up the entire oeuvre of Garth Ennis in one sentence. Genius!

Roger Godpleton

Started Madame Bovary because I'm so fucking sophisticated.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2009, 11:02:54 PM

Cheers

Jim

Basically- yes. The place is like a cave, chocka with period L&H memorabelia- with a DVD cinema shoved on the side. It's amazing- and the bloke is lovely, has been there since The Very Dawn Of Time, and the MOST Enthusiastic MAN in THE world!

Steev

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 04 September, 2009, 11:19:04 PM
Basically- yes. The place is like a cave, chocka with period L&H memorabelia- with a DVD cinema shoved on the side. It's amazing- and the bloke is lovely, has been there since The Very Dawn Of Time, and the MOST Enthusiastic MAN in THE world!

Sold!

Cheers

Jim

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpookyTheCat on 04 September, 2009, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 September, 2009, 11:02:54 PM

Cheers

Jim

Steev

This has inspired me, I've wanted to see that place for years, and I may just take a spin out there very soon - it's not that far from Manchester. Their website (http://www.laurel-and-hardy.co.uk/home.htm)s brilliant in it's amateurishness. I love the way it takes a while to load (but with THAT music to keep you entertained) and then opens with the sentence "This weekend, Saturday 18th April we will be making our move to bigger, brighter and better premises at the Roxy Cinema on Brogden Street, Ulverston. "