Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I think we can all agree that Boris Johnson has been punished more than enough by having to wait almost two years longer than he should have to become Prime Minister.

Tjm86

Sorry, is this the Political Thread or the "Incendiary Trolling Thread"?

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 June, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
Sorry, is this the Political Thread or the "Incendiary Trolling Thread"?

Pretty sure that was a joke?

Tjm86

Well I would have thought so considering the Ursine Academic's track record.  You never can tell though.  Someone might recently have outed him as a closet BloJo fan and he was fully embracing his new found freedom.

Professor Bear

I was a big fan of Bojo as London mayor because London is shit and they deserved him.  I am not a fan of Bojo as everyone else's problem.

IAMTHESYSTEM

The 'Ugliest' Beauty Contest in Britains history continues. You desperately try to find some sensible policymaker, but there are no ones currently present. It looks like the last of the Great Apes is going to walk into Downing Street, and then steamrolls us out of Europe. BoJo's a Right Wing Loony despite the slightly bumbling, toffish manners. The Square Mile will be the only ones sleeping happily over his appointment. If you're a Car manufacturer or worker kiss your job goodbye and say hello to more money for the Rich under the guise of 'Deregulation.'
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dandontdare

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 June, 2019, 09:44:44 AM
It's been well known that's he's a lying scumbag for years - Eddie Mair called him out 6 years ago:
https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2019/06/12/a-bbc-presenter-branding-boris-johnson-a-nasty-piece-of-work-has-gone-viral/

That's the thing, isn't it?  He isn't a bumbling buffoon at all; that's the public image he has carefully crafted. He's a cynical, conniving weasel.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 June, 2019, 11:54:52 AM
...  He's a cynical, conniving weasel.

Or as most people refer to them:  a Tory politician.

Leigh S

He is both - bumbling and lazy AND a nasty piece of work

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 June, 2019, 12:36:16 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 June, 2019, 11:54:52 AM...  He's a cynical, conniving weasel.
Or as most people refer to them:  a Tory politician.
Ftfy.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I don't think there's much of the bumbler about Johnson. He plays the part of hail-fellow-well-met with complete cynicism, somehow selling himself as a plain speaker puncturing pomposity while simultaneously speaking in meaningless riddles and being consumately pompous himself. He chooses to be shit at every brief, because he doesn't care, it suits him, and he knows it doesn't affect his support one bit.

Truth, loyalty and duty are meaningless sounds to be uttered at will but never embraced, and he is without a single constant principle other than the Divine Right of Boris. He's a walking parody of the ambitious politician.

That there was ever a possibility that this man could hold your highest political office is a stain on your democracy. That any sane person could see themself as represented by him, when all he could ever imagine doing for a constituent is exploiting them.

Where's Rik Mayall when you need him.  :'(

Leigh S

#possibly, but the recurring theme of anyone who has worked for him in political office is his laziness and vaguenes, leaving all the decision making and anything approaching work to everyone elsse - he doesnt seem to switch off the bumbling to become a razor sharp political machine.  He certainly uses the bumbling to mask his many deficiencies, but the bumbling would appear to be ingrained.

If it wasnt for his massive ego, I wouldnt be surprised if he sabotaged his bid, if he had enough self reflection to consider what the job will ask of him

TordelBack

Sure, don't mean to imply he's remotely competent at anything other than being Boris, I'm sure he's a worthless lazy charlatan through and through: I just think all his alleged bumbling is calculated, and in ultimate service of his ambitions.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 June, 2019, 04:22:54 PM
I don't think there's much of the bumbler about Johnson. He plays the part of hail-fellow-well-met with complete cynicism, somehow selling himself as a plain speaker puncturing pomposity while simultaneously speaking in meaningless riddles and being consumately pompous himself. He chooses to be shit at every brief, because he doesn't care, it suits him, and he knows it doesn't affect his support one bit.

Truth, loyalty and duty are meaningless sounds to be uttered at will but never embraced, and he is without a single constant principle other than the Divine Right of Boris. He's a walking parody of the ambitious politician.

That there was ever a possibility that this man could hold your highest political office is a stain on your democracy. That any sane person could see themself as represented by him, when all he could ever imagine doing for a constituent is exploiting them.

Where's Rik Mayall when you need him.  :'(

This is what I was trying to say, albeit less eloquently.  I remember hearing that he deliberately ruffles his hair before meeting the press. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest; it's this cuddly scatterbrained image that has worked very well for him.

The fact that people are buying it amazes me.  What also baffles me is how the UK consistently chooses members of the upper classes to represent working people (and I speak as a half-Brit myself).  A no-deal Brexit will be water off a duck's back for a privileged twat like Mr 'Fuck Business' himself.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"