Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

As self-important as he is, Shatner's Trek outing was plagued by problems beyond his control, ranging from writer's strikes and rainstorms in the movie's desert shooting locations to ILM being unavailable to do the SFX.
For all that, I've always had a soft spot for it, as it's lighter in tone and more of a romp than most of the other movies.  Its throwaway nature places it among the good bad sci-fi b-movies of the era like Spacehunter and Ice Pirates.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 July, 2020, 03:32:35 PM
Shatner's gloriously pretentious explanation of the symbolism of the mountain-climbing scene is toe curling - save yourself the time and stick with the musical remix

Ha ha! Brilliant! First time I've seen that, thanks for posting!

Mardroid

Quote from: Professor Bear on 10 July, 2020, 04:37:30 PM
As self-important as he is, Shatner's Trek outing was plagued by problems beyond his control, ranging from writer's strikes and rainstorms in the movie's desert shooting locations to ILM being unavailable to do the SFX.
For all that, I've always had a soft spot for it, as it's lighter in tone and more of a romp than most of the other movies.  Its throwaway nature places it among the good bad sci-fi b-movies of the era like Spacehunter and Ice Pirates.

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone? Ages since I've seen it, but I loved that as a kid! That being said, I can understand why it's considered bad. That bit at the start with the model ship with the model figures, oh my. But yeah, I found it a lot of fun.

Those mutant kids creeped me out.

Last film watched: Spirited Away on Netflix.

I enjoyed that a lot aside from a resolution at the end which just didn't quite work for me. [spoiler]The river name bit.[/spoiler] Maybe something was lost in translation, though.

Quite an odd little fantasy film, but this isn't a bad thing. Very charming.

pictsy

Ginger Snaps: Unleashed (geddit?)

Well.  No.  I don't remember this being anything particularly good, but it was certainly worse than what I do remember.  I had clearly, in the years since last viewing this film, created a much better film in my memory where the werewolf aspect was called into question and there was the possibility that it was just a psychological trauma.  Nope.  It's not that.

I honestly don't know how they could have followed up on Ginger Snaps.  I don't know why anyone would try.  Unleashed lacks all of the originals charms.  The original has a bitter sweet ending, but the sequel largely erases even that and I'm not a fan.  The conclusion to unleashed just begs the question "what was the point?"  The film ends up being an exercise in futility.  When I started to remember the film as I watched it, my heart sank more and more as realised why I didn't remember it clearly.

Will this be the same for the prequel?  I barely remember anything about that other than it having a lot more werewolves.  I could be wrong.  I will probably find out tonight.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Old Guard, the latest from Netflix.

Same Old Garbage more like. Predictable and comes across as a pilot for a series that will never be made...
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 July, 2020, 04:43:48 PM
The Old Guard, the latest from Netflix.

Same Old Garbage more like. Predictable and comes across as a pilot for a series that will never be made...
Thanks, Dr X. I was considering this, but from the preview, there was no discernable plot to speak of. You've saved me the bother of confirming it.

broodblik

For anyone that is interested in WW2 movies you cannot go wrong with Greyhound.  Tom Hanks is the captain of a destroyer called Greyhound tasked to protect a host of ships crossing to Atlantic.  A well made movie with some nice tense moments. Solid 4 star movie
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 June, 2020, 06:05:31 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 28 June, 2020, 05:54:14 PM
I may one day watch it when I'm coerced by someone else, but unless that happens I think I can live a happier life not having seen it.

Yeah. Having not really enjoyed either of the previous two movies, I very deliberately gave this one a miss. I never watch a movie with the intention of disliking it — life's too short. When this popped up on Disney+, I hoped my expectations had been sufficiently pre-lowered but apparently not.

I'm glad lots of other people enjoyed it more than I did, though.

Yeah, if people liked it then fair enough, whatever. But you're right Jim, it was absolute gibberish.

I saw it only once in the cinema, and came out just bewildered that people seemed to have enjoyed it. I tried to watch it on Disney Plus the other day - got halfway through and had to give it up. It looks and sounds nice, but that's just not enough. You need a cohesive plot, an understandable story, some internal logic. It had none of those things. It is the Star Wars film I have seen the least. I rate it below The Phantom Menace.

To be honest, the only truly good Star Wars films since the original trilogy are Rogue One (despite a slow start) and Solo, the latter being a cracking sci-fi heist movie with Star Wars bits in it. L337 freeing those robots on Kessel cracks me up every time!

von Boom

Color Out of Space I think this captured the general wierdness of Lovecraft's original story quite well. There were several unsettling moments with a good degree of creepiness. If you're a fan of Lovecraft and similar stories there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

pictsy

Support Your Local Sheriff

I'm not a fan of Westerns but my friend requested we watched this together.  He was apologetic before hand as the last film we watched I didn't get on with (Uncut Gems).  He needn't have worried, I enjoyed the film.  It was the right level of amusing and entertaining that it suitably filled in the couple of hours before going to bed.

Quote from: von Boom on 12 July, 2020, 03:44:57 PM
Color Out of Space I think this captured the general wierdness of Lovecraft's original story quite well. There were several unsettling moments with a good degree of creepiness. If you're a fan of Lovecraft and similar stories there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours.

Color Out of Space is pretty cool.  I'd recommend watching The Endless, I think there's a good chance you'd enjoy.

edgeworthy

Gunga Din.

A film that inspired Bertold Brecht, Steven Spielberg, John Sturges, Rian Johnson, Peter Sellers, The Beatles, and William Goldman.

For everyone who misunderstands Kipling ....

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
[/i]

Link Prime

Watched two Netflix movies over the weekend;

Calibre - A simple enough premise, elevated to a superior film due to some very intense scenes and great naturalistic performances by Tony Curran (in fairness he would rarely let you down) and Martin McCann (who previously impressed me as the lead in 'The Survivalist'). Warning - it's a tough, tough watch in places.

In the Shadow of the Moon - First 20 - 30 minutes were pretty good, but it predictably devolved into pure and utter tripe. A rudimentary time-travel plot so hackneyed it would give the Future Shocks submissions reader goosebumps, coupled with a distasteful underlying philosophy.
I can only assume Boyd Holbrook lost a bet with his manager when he wagered he couldn't get him a worse lead-starring role than 'The Predator'.  
I expected better from Jim Mickle.  

Keef Monkey

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, remembered this being one of the really good ones and it holds up great, and is a real return to form after the messiness of V. Was a tad emotional in the last scenes realizing it's the last of the original cast films, and [spoiler]the fact they all 'sign-off' in the credits is such a nice touch[/spoiler].

JamesC

Alien 3.

This is far worse than I remembered.
I watched the special edition which I think is probably better than the theatrical cut but it's still a frustrating mess.
Having watched the previous two films over the course of the week, this is the first time I've watched this in such close succession and it really suffers from the comparison to the others.
The opening act is definitely the strongest part of the film.
The killing of Newt and Hicks is a baffling decision but the crash landing on Fury, the set up of the work-prison location, the introduction of Charles Dance's character is all pretty good.
It soon goes downhill though. From the point of Dance's death it's pretty worthless. No other characters have been sufficiently developed to fill the void, Ripley doesn't really have much to do, the Alien looks shit and the trapping of the alien, with everyone just running down corridors shouting Fuck and Motherfucker is just tedious.

Absolute crap but kind of interesting in a 'how not to handle a sequel' way.
I don't think the series ever recovered.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 July, 2020, 09:20:32 PM
But Dan Stevens belting out LION OF LOVE  was awesome.

I wanted to enjoy this film as much as Stevens obviously did while making it.